• Some coaching changes and transfers of interest

#13744  by PaladinPower
 Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:24 pm
Don't know Aluma personally, but seems to have pretty low character. Back when Wofford came to Furman, a media member posted a video of Jalen Slawson dunking over Aluma, and Aluma seemed to respond facetiously because they ended up winning the game.

Leave that stuff for NBA twitter.
 #13751  by tya1
 Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:49 pm
Monday wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:52 pm
With all the upheaval at VMI, Mercer, ETSU, and Wofford, the Citadel is beginning to look like a beacon of stability.
Chattanooga's top three scorers are transferring. Wofford and Mercer have coaching changes to deal with. The upheaval there is normal, so far, for the changes. ETSU always has some losses. Maybe more than usual this year. They recruit the junior colleges heavy and may be better suited to deal with their losses.

Chattanooga and VMI seem hardest hit to date.

Aluma is an interesting case.
Big men in Young's Wofford system tended to have several well-defined roles -
1. Set multiple screens and picks for the shooters
2. Defensive rebound
3. Defend the low post and help when team mates get beaten off the dribble
4. Score with low post moves,offensive rebounding, and movement away from the ball
5. Pass the ball
6. Score from the perimeter

Cameron Jackson could do all those things, which is why he was all-conference. Aluma is good to OK at the first three, mediocre at the next two, and a zero at the last one. No reason to call him a "go-to" player until he proves himself more at the last three.
Affirm, Jasper liked this
 #13755  by Jasper
 Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:48 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:22 pm
Jasper wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:24 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:47 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:12 pm
Wofford loses another one.

That's a big loss for Wofford - he was going to be a "go to" with the other 2 big men leaving. Wonder if we will show any interest - would be a nice add.
really?? We would want a Wofford bail out who cant shoot?
Is 67% from the field bad for a 6-9 230 Forward? 67% is the best FG% on Wofford's Team, BTW. Yeah - he doesn't shoot 3's. I guess that's what you meant. Just comparing stat lines, Aluma's stats are most comparable to Mounce's...without the 53 3's.

2 YEAR CAREER STATS
GP: 49 - GS: 48
MIN: 1,302 - AVG MIN/G: 26.6
FG: 130 - FGA: 194 - FG%: .670
3PT FG: 0 - 3PT FGA: 2 - 3PT FG%: .000
FT: 69 - FTA: 123 - FT%: .561
OFF REB: 126 - DEF REB: 202 - Total REB: 328 - AVG REB: 6.7
PF: 113 - FO: 5
AST: 47 - AST/G: 1.0 | T/O: 47 T/O/G: 1.0
BLK: 38 | STL: 31
PTS: 328 - PTS/G: 6.7

The only thing that I see to 'hate on' with his stat line is his FT %. Don't understand why kids can't shoot FT's today. I was not a very good hoopster in my FR year in HS, but I prolly made 90% of my FT's. The basket ain't movin', neither are you, and ain't nobody gonna put a hand in your face. MAKE YOUR DANG FREE THROWS, KIDS!
I know you love stats, BeAR and they certainly have a place in analysis. However, this player does not pass the "eye" test. He shoots 67% because the only time he really attempts a shot is on a put back of an offensive rebound. He plays nearly 27 minutes a game and averages less than 7 points a game with 1 assist per game. He clearly is a tough kid who sets screens and rebounds well but is not an offensive force at all. FU would have been better off retaining Jalen Williams to fill that role rather than recruit a Wofford transfer. And if you can take away Mounce's 53 three pointers, you take away much of what makes him valuable to Furman. We need to replace a lot of graduated points and this kid does not begin to solve that problem.
 #13756  by FUBeAR
 Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:30 am
Jasper wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:48 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:22 pm
Jasper wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:24 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:47 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:12 pm
Wofford loses another one.

That's a big loss for Wofford - he was going to be a "go to" with the other 2 big men leaving. Wonder if we will show any interest - would be a nice add.
really?? We would want a Wofford bail out who cant shoot?
Is 67% from the field bad for a 6-9 230 Forward? 67% is the best FG% on Wofford's Team, BTW. Yeah - he doesn't shoot 3's. I guess that's what you meant. Just comparing stat lines, Aluma's stats are most comparable to Mounce's...without the 53 3's.

2 YEAR CAREER STATS
GP: 49 - GS: 48
MIN: 1,302 - AVG MIN/G: 26.6
FG: 130 - FGA: 194 - FG%: .670
3PT FG: 0 - 3PT FGA: 2 - 3PT FG%: .000
FT: 69 - FTA: 123 - FT%: .561
OFF REB: 126 - DEF REB: 202 - Total REB: 328 - AVG REB: 6.7
PF: 113 - FO: 5
AST: 47 - AST/G: 1.0 | T/O: 47 T/O/G: 1.0
BLK: 38 | STL: 31
PTS: 328 - PTS/G: 6.7

The only thing that I see to 'hate on' with his stat line is his FT %. Don't understand why kids can't shoot FT's today. I was not a very good hoopster in my FR year in HS, but I prolly made 90% of my FT's. The basket ain't movin', neither are you, and ain't nobody gonna put a hand in your face. MAKE YOUR DANG FREE THROWS, KIDS!
I know you love stats, BeAR and they certainly have a place in analysis. However, this player does not pass the "eye" test. He shoots 67% because the only time he really attempts a shot is on a put back of an offensive rebound. He plays nearly 27 minutes a game and averages less than 7 points a game with 1 assist per game. He clearly is a tough kid who sets screens and rebounds well but is not an offensive force at all. FU would have been better off retaining Jalen Williams to fill that role rather than recruit a Wofford transfer. And if you can take away Mounce's 53 three pointers, you take away much of what makes him valuable to Furman. We need to replace a lot of graduated points and this kid does not begin to solve that problem.
I only ‘dabble’ in hoops, so I’m sure you are correct. Saw Woffy play 2 or 3 times & liked him. He does have that SparkleCity stank on him though...so I’d probably pass too.
 #13787  by tya1
 Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:07 am
Here is a ranking of the top transfers out there - LINK

The transfers were split into two categories - immediately available graduate transfers and transfers who will need to sit out a year.

"#29 Chase Audige, 6-4, 190, SG, Fr., William & Mary
Stats: 9.6 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 2.4 apg, 37% 3-pointers
Scout’s take: “Long, athletic and can really guard. Really improved his jump shot from high school. Love his upside.”
Schools: Nevada, Providence, Colorado State, Furman, Penn, Dartmouth, Wake Forest, Northwestern, Pittsburgh, A-10 schools"

A few others of interest included #6 Bubba Parham from VMI - Scout’s take: “He’s a badass. Cat-quick combo guard who can score 40. Elite in ball screens, deep range and can really pass.”
#15 Kevin Easley from Chattanooga -Scout’s take: “Skilled, scoring-minded face-up 4-man that can face and also play with his back to the basket. Can really score it. Good offensive rebounder and has a nose for the ball.”
#28 Keve Aluma from Wofford - Scout’s take: “Long and talented big man who stepped up and played big in the NCAA tourney. With a year sitting out, he could be a major factor for a high-major program.”
#44 Neftali Alvarez , who picked Mercer - Scout’s take: “Strong, solid point guard that can run a team. Better driver than shooter. Very good 15-foot stop-and-pop pull-up. Needs to work on 3-point shot.”
#25 was Nick Honor, who Furman offered a year ago. Honor was A10 FOY at Fordham this year.
Among the transfers who don't have to sit a year was #6 6'7" wing Justin Pierce, who Furman offered a few years ago. He will transfer to Michigan, Notre Dame, or North Carolina. Christian Keeling from Charleston Southern was #9 on that list.

**Christian Keeling committed to North Carolina.**
MNORM liked this
 #13832  by Monday
 Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:03 pm
And the hits keep on coming....

Duane Moss of UTC has decided to transfer. Moss was a Furman recruit but signed with Youngstown St before decommitting because of a coaching change and signing with UTC. His career has been hampered by injuries.
 #13842  by tya1
 Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:41 pm
Mercer picked up another quality transfer. Felipe Haase, 6'9" 253 lb. soph. at South Carolina, is going to Macon. Haase was part of the Gamecocks regular seven man rotation this year. He played over 23 minutes a game and averaged about 6 ppg and 4 rebs. Haase hit over 40% of his three point shots and 82% of his FTs. His former high school coach is an assistant on the new Mercer staff.

Zac Ervin going to Elon is a bit of a surprise. Maybe he wanted to have an immediate guarantee of major playing time. With Elon's coaching change and serious player losses due to graduation and transfer he could be an early star for them.
 #13902  by tya1
 Thu May 02, 2019 9:51 pm
Justin Pierce will transfer from William & Mary to North Carolina. He will be eligible next year as a grad transfer.

Chattanooga got one, too. Matt Ryan, 6'8" 228 lb. forward, is leaving Vanderbilt after only one season there. He started his career at Notre Dame, stayed for two years then left for Vanderbilt. He averaged 8.1 ppg this season while playing about 25 minutes a game. He only shot 34.7%, mainly because almost all of his shot attempts were three pointers (82.2%), and he hit 32.8% of those. He will be an immediately eligible grad transfer.
 #13905  by FUBeAR
 Fri May 03, 2019 1:04 am
tya1 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:51 pm
Chattanooga got one, too...He started his career at Notre Dame, stayed for two years then left for Vanderbilt.

MNORM, FU03times liked this
 #13941  by Fessor
 Sun May 05, 2019 9:48 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:01 am
PaladinPower wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:05 pm
Zac Ervin commits to Elon.
Been a really rough offseason in wofford land :D
Furman benefits from a strong Southern Conference and meaningful competitive rivalries.

I also don't want FU to be the SoCon NCAA tourney bid recipient by default.