• NIT 2022

#51710  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:31 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:26 pm
Unfortunate that we didn’t make it, but not surprised. Feel bad for the team.
Yep we were all hoping against hope but we knew we didn’t have a chance. If team wants to go to CBI or Basketball Classuc Im ok with it but if not I understand.
 #51736  by FurmAlum
 Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:55 pm
What is it with the Atlantic 10? Richmond and Davidson are going to the NCAA.

The 4th and 5th place teams, St. Bonny and St. Louis, are going to the NIT. I looked at both team's schedule's. St. Bonny beat Marquette and NC State, the worst team in the ACC. St. Louis beat Boston College. Other than that, nothing to suggest these teams are better than Furman or Samford. St. Louis lost to Va. Tech by 35 points.

A-10 gets 4 teams in Tourney's and SoCon 1. Something does not add up.

Our commissioner is not up to the job.
Sad Din liked this
 #51742  by Sad Din
 Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:59 pm
FurmAlum wrote:

The 4th and 5th place teams, St. Bonny and St. Louis, are going to the NIT. I looked at both team's schedule's. St. Bonny beat Marquette and NC State, the worst team in the ACC. St. Louis beat Boston College. Other than that, nothing to suggest these teams are better than Furman or Samford. St. Louis lost to Va. Tech by 35 points.

IHMO its a beauty contest. There are so many metrics, RPI, NET, SOS and the all scientific "eye test" that at the end of the day they dont mean anything. The nice Judy Rose, who is the Cmt chair, said "Yes we think we got it right"
 #51743  by Affirm
 Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:01 pm
FurmAlum wrote:

I've been told by most people on UFFP who address the thought that we do not want to move up to a quality conference like the A-10. So quit griping.
 #51744  by Affirm
 Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:02 pm
FurmAlum wrote:

Nothing new there.
 #51747  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:06 pm
affirm wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:02 pm
FurmAlum wrote:

Nothing new there.
Commish sucks!! He does as littke as poseible and gets away with it.
 #51762  by purplehorse
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:45 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Let’s focus on next year. All these other tourneys are consolation prizes anyway. Go big or go home.
I disagree. I think exposure in either of the lower two tournaments would be a good experience and good exposure. A missed opportunity IMHO. I am a whole lot more upset about not continuing our season than I am about missing the NCAA or NIT. We could not control those. We can control this.
 #51764  by Roundball
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:23 am
purplehorse wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:45 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Let’s focus on next year. All these other tourneys are consolation prizes anyway. Go big or go home.
I disagree. I think exposure in either of the lower two tournaments would be a good experience and good exposure. A missed opportunity IMHO. I am a whole lot more upset about not continuing our season than I am about missing the NCAA or NIT. We could not control those. We can control this.
We do control our fate. Another couple of wins puts us in the NIT.
Affirm liked this
 #51769  by Furmanoid
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:58 am
The other tournaments are about 10x more meaningless than the most meaningless of meaningless bowl games. Makes more sense to start moving on and figuring out next year’s team than to spend more time on a lame duck.

As far as NCAA and NIT go, looks like regardless of what some conference rankings may say, among the people who matter, the SoCon isn’t really very highly regarded. We need to get way better. We need to dominate this conference.
Roundball, GOAT, DoomedDin1127 and 2 others liked this
 #51771  by stonemd
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:09 am
A10 11th best conference (kenpom) - 2 teams in NCAA , 4 teams in NIT
SOCON 12 th best conference - 1 team in NCAA
Multiple teams in NIT w lower rankings than Furman
I’d like to see a response from the commissioner on how he will fix this.
Affirm liked this
 #51866  by stonemd
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:56 pm
Did some more analysis of teams in NCAA/NIT

Note - I don't really understand how the computer rankings of teams works as it always seems to be based on performance and strength of schedule (rank of opponents) which becomes a circular argument. Never the less:
the top 11 KenPom conferences got all the autobids in the NCAA/NIT save 1 - Belmont (NIT).

Kinda obvious but for 2 bid (or more) SOCON need to see more teams win games against higher ranked teams and avoid losses to the bottom of our own conference. Losing even in OT doesn't seem to help. Wouldn't hurt to have a highly ranked regular season champ lose in SOCON tourney and get a NCAA/NIT bid (as long as it is not Furman). How to further develop the ability to close out the close games in adverse away arenas is beyond me.

Rank Conference - total at large bids NCAA/NIT
1 Big12 -6
2 SEC -9
3Big10 -8
4BigEast -6
5 PAC12 -5
6ACC -6
7 MountainWest -4
8 AAC - 2
9 WestCoast -4
10 MissouriValley -1
11 A10 -5
24 OVC -1
Affirm liked this
 #51872  by soconjohn
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:40 pm
The problem is that those opportunities are less...When Chattanooga added De Sousa, Arkansas got out of their contract to play UTC for fear of losing,..True story...So it's a catch 22
Affirm liked this
 #51874  by youwouldno
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:41 pm
There's no question that the Paladins should have made the NIT over a couple of the teams that did. But also, it's the NIT. It only became a thing back in the day because the NCAA tournament was limited to one team per conference. In the current scheme of things the NIT isn't important.

And while obviously the SoCon should do everything it can to build it's reputation, there's also some unrealistic expectations going on here.

Take Belmont for instance. They've been good every year since 2005 and have made the NCAA tournament eight times during that span. The Paladins have been good since 2016 and of course have zero NCAA appearances going back decades. Does it really make sense that Furman would finish slightly above Belmont in Pomeroy once or twice and suddenly Furman has a stronger basketball reputation? Obviously not.

And so far as the A-10, while that conference finished only one spot ahead of the SoCon, the 2022 difference in Pomeroy rating between #11 and #12 is more than the difference between #12 and #19. The SoCon has improved dramatically in the past several years, by far the most of any conference, despite numerous limitations. But again, how reasonable is it to expect that the SoCon looks good in Pomeroy for a few years and suddenly the entire nation is full of respect for what was recently a low-major conference?

Factoring in the number of NCAA conferences over time, the #12 conference finish this year is probably the SoCon's highest since WWII at least. SoCon programs will have to invest more just to maintain that level, let alone trying to match the A-10 or MVC.

The Paladins just have to keep competing at the top of the SoCon, wherever its ranked, and sooner or later a meaningful post-season will happen.
 #51879  by stonemd
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:39 pm
Teams with rankings higher than Furman not in NCAA/NIT

39 Oklahoma State /ineligible
66 Kansas State 14-17 losing record
69 Fresno State
73 West Virginia 16-17 losing record

Only 1 team ranked higher (kenpom) that was eligible and had a winning record missed NIT/NCAA
Affirm liked this
 #51880  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:03 pm
stonemd wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:39 pm
Teams with rankings higher than Furman not in NCAA/NIT

39 Oklahoma State /ineligible
66 Kansas State 14-17 losing record
69 Fresno State
73 West Virginia 16-17 losing record

Only 1 team ranked higher (kenpom) that was eligible and had a winning record missed NIT/NCAA
Yep and Fresno was only 19-13
I think we all knew deep down that we would get screwed over by whoever the jerk off's on the NIT committee were, NCAA is such a farce
Sad Din, Affirm liked this