• We played SOFT

#24152  by CharlieFU
 Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:27 pm
rangab wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:59 pm
Why does Furman not have a big man? Year in year out our tallest guy is around 6' 8.Wofford fight now owns us in just about every sport.The disheartening thing is they hire away our coaches and they beat us.
The big man issue has been beaten to death. Nothing wrong with our front line length in SoCon. And we are redshirting a “big” man. Any big has to be able to shoot, run and pass, in addition to defending. Big for sake of big doesn’t work in Richey’s style of play.
fufanatic liked this
 #24154  by tim
 Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:30 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:02 pm
To show you how bad the performance was tonight, their biggest SoCon win before tonight was 5 points over Samford. Besides not being connected on offense I thought we were not aggressive and passed up good shots to end up with a turnover or bad shot. For the lack of a better term we just looked skeered.
That's exactly what I thought. Some guys looked scared to shoot and just passed off.
 #24155  by Affirm
 Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:36 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:25 pm
Baseball season starts in less than a month.; :)
How often has Furman baseball been any good? Compared to how often it’s been poor? Why does anyone want to be looking forward to Furman baseball? Softball at Furman is probably at least as exciting.
 #24157  by Jasper
 Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:03 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:50 pm
Jasper wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:32 pm
His shooting form is dreadful. Why doesn’t the coaching staff correct it? He flings it at the basket in one motion. That is very correctable.
I might be wrong but I have thought his shot was different this year. The results are the same though.

I cannot imagine that somewhere along the way the coaches have not tried to help him.
I agree. Then the problem is the kid. He is clearly not taking instruction. He does virtually none of the things one must do to shoot foul shots accurately and his in game shots are limited to dunks. I have played with several poor shooters who have been coached up to respectability from the line with a lot of effort on their part.

But this kid's inability to shoot the ball at all is not what cost us an embarrassment and disappointment tonight. It was the lack of intensity on both ends of the court and the virtual disappearance of key players for the entire night. It may be that this team just might be wearing down halfway thru the season because of the 6 or 7 man rotation the coach insists on using. Is our bench so bad that many cant be used at all? This far into the season we have no idea whether our freshmen or Jalen Pugh can play or not. The latter sure looked like he could when given a chance against Auburn. As I recall, they came in with high expectations and using them for a minute or 2 during a game does not even give them a chance to break a sweat. Or do we have a recruiting problem? I don't think a game like this can simply be chalked up to "one of those things". Wofford basically plays 4 guards and they scored their first 10 points in the paint.
 #24158  by Jasper
 Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:12 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:27 pm
rangab wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:59 pm
Why does Furman not have a big man? Year in year out our tallest guy is around 6' 8.Wofford fight now owns us in just about every sport.The disheartening thing is they hire away our coaches and they beat us.
The big man issue has been beaten to death. Nothing wrong with our front line length in SoCon. And we are redshirting a “big” man. Any big has to be able to shoot, run and pass, in addition to defending. Big for sake of big doesn’t work in Richey’s style of play.
Our front line length is fine. The girth however is a problem. Carlos Dotson almost beat us singlehandedly at home the other night by dominating our bigs - all in the paint. He was simply physically too much for them.
 #24161  by apaladin
 Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:37 pm
Continue to be amazed how easy it is to drive to the basket on us. Everyone seems to be able to do it without much opposition and we are just the opposite. I'm beginning to think we are not a good man to man team.
 #24163  by apaladin
 Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:06 am
affirm wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:36 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:25 pm
Baseball season starts in less than a month.; :)
How often has Furman baseball been any good? Compared to how often it’s been poor? Why does anyone want to be looking forward to Furman baseball? Softball at Furman is probably at least as exciting.
Not very often, however when any new season starts there is a “chance”. After a sub .500 season last year and losing the top 2-3 hitters I suspect it won’t take long to start the countdown to football. Look for a coaching change at seasons end.
 #24164  by FurmAlum
 Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:21 am
Here's my recipe for a turnaround:

Lyons - trying to do too much and starting to force it. Needs to trust teammates and let game come to him. Needs to assert some Senior leadership! Reminds me a little of Sibley near the end of 2018 season. Lyons is a great player. Will get it fixed.

Slawson - a 5 man does not need to be jacking up 3's all the time. Concentrate on defending other team's bigs and dominating on the boards. Needs to score 7-9 points a game mostly around the basket with an occasional 3. Work on low post moves every day in practice. Gradually improving but is the key to FU winning SoCon.

Gurley and Mounce - keep doing what your doing.

Hunter - drive the ball to basket more and either dish or finish. Storm kicked your butt tonight. Return the favor in Greenville.

Bothwell - keep doing what your doing.

Clark - keep playing good defense and hustling. Must limit 3 point shots though. The announcers said Hoover was out shooting for over an hour before the game. Good advice.

Pugh - must improve defense to get more playing time.

Whole Team - as DR, CharlieFU, and Jasper said - must play with more INTENSITY! Gotta play hard, play smart, and play together. Didn't do any of those tonight.

Of course this sage advice is coming from a former mediocre point guard that never played past the HS level. :lol:
FUKA61 liked this
 #24166  by apaladin
 Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:50 am
CBR should implement a new rule: Slawson and Clark should never attempt a 3 regardess of how wide open.
 #24168  by purplehorse
 Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:49 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:50 am
CBR should implement a new rule: Slawson and Clark should never attempt a 3 regardess of how wide open.

Agreed about Clark because almost any other shot taken by any other player would be a higher % shot. For Slawson I would give him 2-3 every game and if he is 0-2 or 3 no more. Ditto for Gurley.

Tonight we were just completely out of sync on offense the whole night.
MNORM liked this
 #24169  by purplehorse
 Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:59 am
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:03 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:41 pm
Probably what hurts the most is knowing how half ass Woffy is this year, and we still come out and piss around like this, smh

Pretty sure we will blow them out in Greenville, but this was a nice chance to beat them in that craphole town spartanburg, no offense to anyone living there, but its a total dump of a town and we just took a fat L there
In Timmons maybe. In BSW I’m not so sure. I’m afraid it is basically going to be a neutral court.
I agree 100 %. I still think we have a home court advantage at Timmons that we do not have at BSWA.

Unrelated-Good to see Rafferty in stands tonight. I think that if he was still playing this year we would be undefeated.

INCONSISTENT. Can lose or beat most anybody on a given night. Usually (not always) decided by our
shooting 3’s %.
 #24170  by Furmanoid
 Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:40 am
Furman is sort of baffling. They roll along with a good record, but when I watch them they never look very good. I went to a local (Augusta) DII game on Wednesday and then watched Furman last night, and I honestly think AU would beat them. Not only do they have a good 7 footer but they have legit 3 point shooters with good form. Sometimes Furman appears to just fling it and hope for the best. The ball flight just doesn’t look right. When FUs game plan is so big on 3s it seems like they should concentrate on getting guys with better mechanics in the future and maybe get a shooting coach.
 #24171  by tim
 Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:02 am
The concerning thing is that those missed threes are way off. It must be fatigue, the team had no legs last night. The 2 day turnaround hurt along with the 7 man rotation. One way to look at it, the staff has taken a team with some obvious deficiencies and coached them to a pretty good record. They chose to redshirt two pretty good players for the future, that should help later on.
 #24172  by Jasper
 Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:22 am
I don't agree with everything the coach says in this interview but I do concur regarding defensive intensity. Wofford brought it and we did not. However, that is not what cost us the game. Wofford only scored in the 60's. We barely made 50 and when that is your final score, there is an excellent chance you are going to lose. So the offensive production was the fault in this game.
Like many teams in the game nowadays, FU relies heavily on the 3 point shot. I cringe every time I see someone take a contested 3 as a first option after they get downcourt. Sometimes, the team will come down on a 2 on 1 fast break and instead of driving to the basket will pull up for a 3. That is a totally different mindset than the one I grew up with in basketball and I am fully aware that times have changed and there are lots of teams who do just that. However, that attitude is the reason for the inconsistency we see in a team's scoring and in an individual's performance. Basketball can be a simple game. You've got to put the ball in the basket and last night, Furman shot a lot of 3 pointers (28) and made only 25% of them. Overall, we made only 39% of our shots. Wofford shot 10 points higher because they scored on easier shots in the paint. The hated Wofford College made Furman do exactly what they wanted us to do. That is not all on the kids.
MidlandsPaladin liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:24 pm

Default Avatar Bothwell

by PeterGrif

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:19 pm

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Default Avatar What just happened?

by The Jackal

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:33 pm

User avatar What just happened?

by bj93

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:32 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.