• FU @ Auburn - Dec. 5

#22452  by Flagman
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:39 pm
I just like that we got under Bruce Pearl’s skin and it was him that lost his cool, when it was Ritchie who had every right to complain about the quality of officiating.
QCGlue liked this
 #22453  by fu77fan
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:47 pm
I listened to the post game show on the Auburn network last night . Coach Pearl was very complimentary of Furman. He said that we played a great game and that we should have won. He also said that he had been out coached by coach Richey. After seeing his behavior during the game, I was blown away by his gracious comments after the game .
He knows that they were lucky to escape with a victory.

Regardless of the officiating, Furman had multiple opportunities to get a victory. Had it not been for a missed shot here , a missed free throw there , a turnover there.... we win easily. I am not blaming the officiating for the loss. The officiating is part of the game ..... sometimes it goes your way , sometimes it doesn’t. The only thing you can do is to take care of the things under your control. We lost the game because WE did not make the big plays when we needed to , not because of the officiating.
After last night’s performance, I am again encouraged about the rest of the season.
FurmAlum liked this
 #22454  by cavedweller2
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:52 pm
I liked when he threw his coat. He's been watching old Lefty Driesel film. Good kick to the scorers table is always classic. He should have been tossed.
 #22457  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:19 pm
fu77fan wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:47 pm
I listened to the post game show on the Auburn network last night . Coach Pearl was very complimentary of Furman. He said that we played a great game and that we should have won. He also said that he had been out coached by coach Richey. After seeing his behavior during the game, I was blown away by his gracious comments after the game .
He knows that they were lucky to escape with a victory.

Regardless of the officiating, Furman had multiple opportunities to get a victory. Had it not been for a missed shot here , a missed free throw there , a turnover there.... we win easily. I am not blaming the officiating for the loss. The officiating is part of the game ..... sometimes it goes your way , sometimes it doesn’t. The only thing you can do is to take care of the things under your control. We lost the game because WE did not make the big plays when we needed to , not because of the officiating.
After last night’s performance, I am again encouraged about the rest of the season.

Disagree, game would have been over long before a few missed shots and turnovers late, we should have had that thing in the bag with about 5 minutes to go, but the refs kept Auburn in the game by controlling it, otherwise we would have annihilated Auburn last night
 #22460  by FurmAlum
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:11 pm
Re Pearl. I had lunch with him at an Insurance Agents state meeting around 2007 when he was the coach at UT. he was our keynote speaker. He was very personable and a really nice guy. He's always been pretty enthusiastic on the sidelines during games, but I don't remember him acting that bad when he was at UT. But I didn't watch that many games as I'm not a much of a UT fan.
 #22466  by CharlieFU
 Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:04 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
I liked when he threw his coat. He's been watching old Lefty Driesel film. Good kick to the scorers table is always classic. He should have been tossed.
I went to the ACC tournament a few years back in Greensboro. I’m walking thru the hotel lobby when I spot Lefty sitting in a chair with a cane at his side. I walked over and introduced myself. I had one a Furman shirt. First thing Lefty said was “How’s Frank Selvy doing?”

One of my favorite memories.
gman, dornb, FurmAlum and 1 others liked this
 #22467  by Affirm
 Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:02 am
CharlieFU wrote:
cavedweller2 wrote:
I went to the ACC tournament a few years back in Greensboro. I’m walking thru the hotel lobby when I spot Lefty sitting in a chair with a cane at his side. I walked over and introduced myself. I had one a Furman shirt. First thing Lefty said was “How’s Frank Selvy doing?”

Lefty coached Davidson 1960-1969, so I assume he brought his teams to play FU in Greenville at least 9 consecutive years. Those teams won 3 SoCon tourneys and 5 SoCon regular season titles, and Davidson was highly ranked.
Lefty will be 89 on Christmas Day 2018.
 #22477  by gman
 Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:50 pm
dhgolfer wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:43 pm
Why is Lyons getting so many minutes while shoot so poorly this season? Let’s see more of Pugh..
Because he hustles 100% of the time. Because he plays excellent defense. Because he is a good leader. Because he is going to break loose anytime now.
fufanatic liked this
 #22482  by FurmAlum
 Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:51 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:02 am
CharlieFU wrote:
cavedweller2 wrote:

Lefty coached Davidson 1960-1969, so I assume he brought his teams to play FU in Greenville at least 9 consecutive years. Those teams won 3 SoCon tourneys and 5 SoCon regular season titles, and Davidson was highly ranked.
Lefty will be 89 on Christmas Day 2018.
I shared office space with a guy up here until 2014, when he retired. He went to U. of Maryland and was the team manager when Driesell was there in the early 70's. Had multiple Lefty stories too numerous to relate here. Said he was a great guy to work for. Used to get into it with Dean Smith all the time.
 #22527  by apaladin
 Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:35 pm
Heads up for those interested, FU/AU replay tonight at 10 on the SEC network.
 #22535  by purplehorse
 Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:40 pm
apaladin wrote:
I could watch it again if we had won one of the biggest games in Furman history. But unfortunately it was a LOSS.
 #22536  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:50 pm
apaladin wrote:
Most of the action is on this youtube video

QCGlue liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by The Jackal

Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:38 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.