• #1 Furman vs #7 UTC (March 6 @7 pm, SOCON Final)

#68045  by Paul C
 Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:48 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:29 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:17 pm
It is going to be so much fun to watch all the other tournament games this week knowing we are in. Something we have never been able to do!
We'll all be saying..."We can beat them....EASY!" as we watch every game.

...and apaladin will have us blown out by 40+ by Fairleigh Dickinson (or Fairly Easy, as the NJ kids call it) or Merrimack of the NEC.
Fairleigh Ridiculous was what we called it. Carry on.
FUBeAR, Rokawaylifer liked this
 #68046  by FUBeAR
 Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:59 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:48 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:29 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:17 pm
It is going to be so much fun to watch all the other tournament games this week knowing we are in. Something we have never been able to do!
We'll all be saying..."We can beat them....EASY!" as we watch every game.

...and apaladin will have us blown out by 40+ by Fairleigh Dickinson (or Fairly Easy, as the NJ kids call it) or Merrimack of the NEC.
Fairleigh Ridiculous was what we called it. Carry on.
You’re right. FUBeAR’s 6 years of ‘Jersey Days’ are now 26 years away in his rearview…and with the CTE kickin’ in stronger every day, it’s a wonder he can organize a coherent sentence here. They are coherent…for the most part…aren’t they?
 #68047  by purplehorse123
 Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:51 am
Random thoughts:

Happy to see top 9 guys all score. We wanted & needed all 9 to step up & they did.

Happy to see Alex finally have a breakout game.

Happy to see Carter Whitt hit his only 3.

Happy Bothwell bounced back in the second half in a big way. I think he was the heart & soul of our team this year.

Pegues a well-deserved MVP. I think he could be Player if the Year the next two years.

Slawson had a nice game. Surprised after 5 years his mental game is not better. There is a difference between passion & intensity and at times being a hothead. Surprised CBR did not have a greater effect here. Congrats to him on being POY.

I think the two biggest shots of the game were the corner 3’s by Foster. I don’t understand how before that he had shot only 3 times total and attempted one 3. And then at a critical time late he shoots a 3 early in the shot clock and comes back with another corner 3 (not where he usually shoots from). Kudos to him but wonder why he did not shoot more earlier.

I don’t understand why after Hien scored our first 6 points of the second half he hardly played the rest of the game.

I wish Alex when there is no one close to him (a shot last night and his first missed 3 tonight) would not shoot NBA 3’s and come up to the 3 point arc when no defensive guy is around. Both 3’s might have been good if he had taken a couple of steps in.

Kudos to Lister for a dedicated career and for as best I can tell, being a great teammate.

Great team win! And I still say CBR a is the best coach in the conference!
apaladin, furpop16, dornb liked this
 #68062  by El Guapo
 Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:44 am
Unbelievable game. Perfect script after last year’s devastating loss. I wasn’t able to go to a single game this year but made sure to be at this one. I’m so glad I did as I got to witness a historical moment for our Furman Men’s Basketball Team. We now play with house money and I hope that we continue to play at such a high level. We will will give any team a game. Let’s go win some more shall we?
furpop16, dornb liked this
 #68072  by Flagman
 Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:53 am
WOW! The best player in the whole tournament and no one, not one person,, thought him worthy of a slot on either of the all-conference teams. Dnag! We’ll deserved, young man.
Davemeister, dornb, FUBeAR and 3 others liked this
 #68135  by GOAT
 Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:18 pm
My real name is Tommy Doughton. I played basketball at Furman from 1980 -1984. I was there when all the losing started. I am so proud of this team and coaches. They are special. I am also proud of the many fans that stayed with Furman during the rough years. Last night was a great night for me and all Furman fans. It has been way too long.
Go dins.

Tommy Doughton
bj93, greenvegas, dornb and 8 others liked this
 #68144  by tim
 Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:18 pm
GOAT wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:18 pm
My real name is Tommy Doughton. I played basketball at Furman from 1980 -1984. I was there when all the losing started. I am so proud of this team and coaches. They are special. I am also proud of the many fans that stayed with Furman during the rough years. Last night was a great night for me and all Furman fans. It has been way too long.
Go dins.

Tommy Doughton
I remember. There was some losing but I'm thinking that group played pretty well in the tourney with at least one upset