• 2023 SoCon Basketball Tournament (March 3-6 Asheville)

#67647  by FUBeAR
 Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:03 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:56 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:47 pm
As there has been some back & forth discussion about Asheville here on TheUFFP, thought this recent article that someone (a resident of nearby Brevard) just posted on AGS (FCS Nat’l Message Board) might be of interest…and this thread seemed like a relatively relevant place to post it.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/popular-s ... s-warn.amp

Of course, as the source is Fox News, those that choose to do so will easily discount the cited statistics and ignore the accompanying commentary of all of the deplorable racist, bigoted, fascist Asheville residents and business owners.
That article is bull. Consider the source. Yes, it has been discussed. Either you love the city or hate. Seems there is no middle ground. Asheville wouldn’t hate it any other way. We travel there often, never with any safety issues.
LOL - as predicted.

If you think the article is “bull,” you’ll really hate the crisis actors that Fox News hired to pose as Asheville residents & business owners to be in the accompanying 5 minute+ video.

Here’s what the Brevard resident / AGS poster had to say…

“It's actually worse than this article portrays it. Asheville was once a beautiful, safe city not that long ago. It's become a cesspool. It's only 40 miles from my house to downtown and I rarely go there. I wouldn't trust parking in the evening there. The drugs abusers, homeless, thugs rule after dark. If I go, it's during the day and a quick in and out. Its demise happened fairly quickly. The dregs are overrunning the place…You can't go one block without being exposed to panhandlers or drug addicts.”

…must be on the Fox News payroll ;)
FU69 liked this
 #67657  by Roundball
 Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:29 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Roundball wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
As there has been some back & forth discussion about Asheville here on TheUFFP, thought this recent article that someone (a resident of nearby Brevard) just posted on AGS (FCS Nat’l Message Board) might be of interest…and this thread seemed like a relatively relevant place to post it.

Of course, as the source is Fox News, those that choose to do so will easily discount the cited statistics and ignore the accompanying commentary of all of the deplorable racist, bigoted, fascist Asheville residents and business owners.
That article is bull. Consider the source. Yes, it has been discussed. Either you love the city or hate. Seems there is no middle ground. Asheville wouldn’t hate it any other way. We travel there often, never with any safety issues.
LOL - as predicted.

If you think the article is “bull,” you’ll really hate the crisis actors that Fox News hired to pose as Asheville residents & business owners to be in the accompanying 5 minute+ video.

“It's actually worse than this article portrays it. Asheville was once a beautiful, safe city not that long ago. It's become a cesspool. It's only 40 miles from my house to downtown and I rarely go there. I wouldn't trust parking in the evening there. The drugs abusers, homeless, thugs rule after dark. If I go, it's during the day and a quick in and out. Its demise happened fairly quickly. The dregs are overrunning the place…You can't go one block without being exposed to panhandlers or drug addicts.”

Fox News, the fake network even Trump hates.
FU69 liked this
 #67680  by apaladin
 Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:00 pm
One thing I would like the SoCon to do. There is no sense in having 2 sessions on Saturday, the second game ends 4:30-4:45, just start the next game 30 mins after. Next game schefuled to start at 6. No time to do anything except exit and reenter.
 #67681  by Roundball
 Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:07 pm
apaladin wrote:
One thing I would like the SoCon to do. There is no sense in having 2 sessions on Saturday, the second game ends 4:30-4:45, just start the next game 30 mins after. Next game schefuled to start at 6. No time to do anything except exit and reenter.
All college tournaments are done in the same way in order to make more money off ticket sales, right?
 #67684  by apaladin
 Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:14 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:07 pm
apaladin wrote:
All college tournaments are done in the same way in order to make more money off ticket sales, right?
Most but not all are not done that way. Several are done like above. Just charge a little more.
 #67720  by FUBeAR
 Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:53 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:29 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Roundball wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

LOL - as predicted.

Fox News, the fake network even Trump hates.
Dunno RB.

This local nonprofit media outlet seems to be staffed mostly by Anti-Foxists - alums of NPR, NYT, CNN, etc. and their reporting on the topic seems to align more with Fox News than The Roundball Report.

https://avlwatchdog.org/41929-2/
CRIME
More vagrants, fewer cops: Merchants describe downtown Asheville’s descent into squalor and lawlessness
Part 1 of an Asheville Watchdog Investigation

Fed-up merchants describe the city’s downtown district as nearly lawless. Vagrants sleep and do drugs in doorways, barge into businesses yelling, brazenly shoplifting, and frightening customers and employees.

Some long-time downtown workers are calling it quits, disgusted with having to clean up human excrement, needles, broken windows, and trash. Aggressive panhandlers and transients, some appearing to be mentally ill, make them fear to walk alone to their cars at night.

They say they call the police, but the response is slow — if the police respond at all.

City officials have stayed mostly quiet — at least publicly.

On social media, out-of-town tourists — the mainstay of Asheville’s local economy — are calling the town “Trashville.” Some say they’ll never return.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
apaladin liked this
 #67749  by Davemeister
 Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:43 am
Our own Monte Dutton wrote not too long ago: " Asheville is a beautiful city - at least in theory". Up close and personal it doesn't quite measure up.

I'm glad Roundball enjoys visiting. But would he really want to live there?
 #67751  by FUBF24
 Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:59 am
Can we make this forum about basketball instead?? I’m sure there are other places where you can discuss your differing opinions on Asheville. I don’t care if we play in Madison Square Garden, I don’t care if we play in an outside park with no nets. As long as we have basketball to play (and win), I am happy. Go Dins!
Roundball, apaladin, FU69 liked this
 #67752  by Roundball
 Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:07 am
FUBF24 wrote:
Can we make this forum about basketball instead?? I’m sure there are other places where you can discuss your differing opinions on Asheville. I don’t care if we play in Madison Square Garden, I don’t care if we play in an outside park with no nets. As long as we have basketball to play (and win), I am happy. Go Dins!
Yes. please, because it is not leaving Asheville. It's funny to read Samford fans asking for the tournament to be moved to Birmingham or Atlanta, which is ridiculous. Asheville is certainly not perfect, but that city embraces the tournament. It is centrally located, so most of the SoCon teams love having the tournament there. Sure, the arena needs some improvements, but is meets the needs of the teams, and it is there to stay. We might have well accept it, embrace it, and count our blessings that most Furman fans can watch our team play by driving an hour up the road. Let's turn the Asheville Arena into our home court advantage today. Go Paladins!
FU69 liked this
 #67762  by FUBeAR
 Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:08 am
FUBF24 wrote:
Can we make this forum about basketball instead?? I’m sure there are other places where you can discuss your differing opinions on Asheville.
There are currently 114 posts in this thread. By FUBeAR’s count, at least 54 of those posts have non-basketball or tangential (at best) to basketball themes to them.

We have posts in this thread about tickets, statues, the city of Asheville, arenas, seating, seating for media members, mascot contests, Covid symptoms & treatments, pictures, Furman students’ schedules, alternate tournament sites, bracketology articles, upcoming tournaments following the SoCon Tournament, and many other topics.

Your desire for laser-like focus within the threads here is admirable, FUBF24, but you’re going to have intervene much earlier and be much more vigilant in your policing of threads to reach your sought standard.

Just a thought though. The topic of the thread, as defined by its creator, FU Hoopla, is “2023 SoCon Basketball Tournament (March 3-6 Asheville).” It would seem to FUBeAR that any posts related to the 2023 SoCon Basketball Tournament in Asheville would be ‘on topic.’ That would seem to include all or almost all of the non-basketball / tangential topics FUBeAR mentioned above. Would it not?

That said, FUBeAR is always most cooperative and accommodating with the thread police…

So…what are your thoughts on defending on-ball screens based on the shot-clock?

FUBeAR thinks defending on-ball screens is one of the many different areas that are usually of concern for many coaches. There is a need to be able to guard a screen with a number of different strategies, for different situations or to counter offensive player preferences. However, as a defending team there needs to be an acknowledgement of what the individual defensive players can do effectively. If a team’s defensive ability cannot match that of the offensive team then there will always be an advantage give to the opposition when defending.

But…he could be wrong.
 #67765  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:19 am
Roundball wrote:
FUBF24 wrote:
Yes. please, because it is not leaving Asheville. It's funny to read Samford fans asking for the tournament to be moved to Birmingham or Atlanta, which is ridiculous. Asheville is certainly not perfect, but that city embraces the tournament. It is centrally located, so most of the SoCon teams love having the tournament there. Sure, the arena needs some improvements, but is meets the needs of the teams, and it is there to stay. We might have well accept it, embrace it, and count our blessings that most Furman fans can watch our team play by driving an hour up the road. Let's turn the Asheville Arena into our home court advantage today. Go Paladins!
“Asheville” in no way embraces the tournament and never has. ingles does and the visiting teams do but Asheville, absolutely not. Greenville is more centrally located than Asheville.
 #67766  by Roundball
 Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:23 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:19 am
Roundball wrote:
FUBF24 wrote:
“Asheville” in no way embraces the tournament and never has. ingles does and the visiting teams do but Asheville, absolutely not. Greenville is more centrally located than Asheville.
Come on apaladin. You go every year. The city of Asheville does indeed embrace the tournament, as do the shops and restaurants. They do a great job. Everything is within walking distance to the arena. It’s the perfect city to host the event.https://www.citizen-times.com/story/spo ... 175351001/

"This is a historic day to extend the Southern Conference's long-standing and successful partnership with Asheville to host our basketball championships," Jim Schaus, conference commissioner, said in a news release. "What makes this tournament special is how the city and area community embrace it, having an ideal venue and how much our schools and fans enjoy coming here."
Last edited by Roundball on Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #67767  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:26 am
All you gotta do is take a look at a league that should be about our equal, the MVC plays their tournament in the ultra nice 'Enterprise Center', would be nice if Greenville would get the tourney when the current contract ends for the sake of being in a better venue..............

apaladin liked this
 #68073  by Davemeister
 Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:56 am
Davemeister wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:58 am
Scott Keeler wrote:

Unfortunately, sophomore J.P. Pegues was not recognized despite his transformation into an elite point guard in his first year at the position. With his ability to shut down many opposing teams' leading scoring guards, his speed and a knack for making crucial plays on offense, Pegues has been as big a part of Furman's success as anyone. For the record, he was third member of the second team on my All-SoCon ballot.

No way JP isn't at least Third Team. In February he outplayed every point guard in the league head -to-head.

I would love to see JP win the Tournament MVP award. He is certainly capable of doing it.

Yessssss!
FU Hoopla, FUBeAR, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #68183  by FurmanATT
 Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:00 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:57 pm
Only the SoCon would take away prime seats for fans and give them to the media. You know, the same media that didn’t name Richey as Coach of the Year.
I appreciated it. The previous location was right in front of a pep band. I'm usually going to defend my own interests. I didn't have an All-SoCon vote, so I must be totally useless. (I did vote for all-tournament, along with, I suppose, everyone covering it. -- MD