#64323  by Affirm
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:29 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:20 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:11 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:01 pm
First thank you Mr. Curry!!! That is an awesome donation! So now JD pretty much said nothing is happening until the balance of the moneyis raised. He said more than half has been raised. Does that inckude Mr. Curry’s donation or not? Either way reading between the lines we are/were not close to raising the money needed after 2+ years which is disappointing. JD has said many times they were waiting for that one “cornerstone” donation to get things rolloing. Ok FU has that now thanks to Mr. Curry. The ball is now in Furman’s court.
I read it to say we are a little over 20 million raised, we will need probably 15-20 million more and then Mr. Curry's 10 million will be added to the pot.

So now we know we still need to come up with 15-20 million to green light the project, hopefully this gift being made public will motivate others to come forward.
That is the way I read it. Still nowhere close to even an announcement. Hope that is wrong and we are closer than we think. Would hate to think we are still 2-3 years away from even an announcement. If this is true, in 2+ years we”ve only reaised approximately 25%. You would think the university would kick in the balance after this most generous donation from Mr. Curry. The longer they wait the more expensive it gets.
I would not think the university would kick in the balance after this most generous donation from Mr. Curry. Instead, I would think that this most generous donation from Mr. Curry would help bring in many additional donations. If that does not happen, then we just have to wait another 4-5-6-10-15 years, or whatever, until we see that enough Furman supporters actually do want this.
I do not think you just go spending the endowment or spending operational expenses that need to go elsewhere.
Do not overlook this, which was the 7th paragraph in the announcement about Mr. Curry's gift:
Curry’s gift, and others that will fund the project, also represents Furman Athletics’ shift to being funded by sports revenue and philanthropy, Donnelly said.
 #64325  by DoomedDin1127
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:35 pm
I wonder how long this pledge was in the works... maybe watching a packed-out Timmons last Saturday helped. The more this team wins, the more donors will give. Even though Saturday stung, it's a sign that Furman is due for the next step.
 #64327  by Sad Din
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:42 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:37 pm
A NCAA tournament birth would help
would love to see a tournament birth! The play by play would be amazing

"she's up there on he third row. doctor is asking for silence as another push is coming thru. Is it coming, wait wait I see something, nope another false one. Man that was close. Lets check the instant replay. I think there was a foul on the husband for premature fainting"
 #64329  by DoomedDin1127
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:47 pm
With Clemson staying a little better than mediocre, and funds being raised for a new arena, this could keep HC happy here ;) fingers crossed!
FU Hoopla liked this
 #64331  by Sad Din
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:57 pm
SD thinks they have $20M from what the article says. With this, they should be able to start on practice facilties which IMHO are needed anyway before Timmons goes to renovations becuase in its spare time Timmons is the practice facility
 #64332  by apaladin
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:20 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:50 am
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:42 am
Just brainstorming. I hope they keep Timmons small. I would much rather have a smaller packed arena than a big arena with emty seats.
Around 3,000 - 3,500 would be the way to go
We always have downtown for the bigger crowds of 5k+

Above all else it needs to be very nice and perfect for watching BASKETBALL
3,500 would be about right, similar to MU, SU, WC. Need some room to grow.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #64333  by apaladin
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:23 pm
Sad Din wrote:
SD thinks they have $20M from what the article says. With this, they should be able to start on practice facilties which IMHO are needed anyway before Timmons goes to renovations becuase in its spare time Timmons is the practice facility
This sounds right but not sure. That means in 2+ years only 25% raised. At that rate it would be another 4-5 years before an announcement. :(
 #64338  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:40 pm
DoomedDin1127 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:47 pm
With Clemson staying a little better than mediocre, and funds being raised for a new arena, this could keep HC happy here ;) fingers crossed!
Richey should say 'screw gamecocks and clempscum, I am winning a natty at FU!'
DoomedDin1127 liked this
 #64339  by Sad Din
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:42 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sad Din wrote:
This sounds right but not sure. That means in 2+ years only 25% raised. At that rate it would be another 4-5 years before an announcement. :(
they need 40 and have 20... thats 50%. now that its out in the open giving rate should be alot better. They probably have some ideas becuase they wouldn announce it if there wasnt something looming
 #64341  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:44 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:42 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sad Din wrote:
they need 40 and have 20... thats 50%. now that its out in the open giving rate should be alot better. They probably have some ideas becuase they wouldn announce it if there wasnt something looming

Yep, its goooooooooooo time!
 #64343  by FU3
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:54 pm
Furman is very fortunate to have a a generous base of donors that continue to contribute to the institution. However, while our peer schools spent the past 5 years investing heavily in capital improvements leveraging historically cheap financing the current administration spent almost nothing. After announcing with great fan fare the complete rebuilding of Lakeside Dorms the sign is now gone and no word when (if ever) this project will be started. The delay in moving these projects ( Timmons included )forward will result in far costlier builds.When you have a list price of 73k per year your clients have some expectations on your facilities.None of this is a criticism of our current Athletics Administration… they are doing a great job with limited assistance.
 #64344  by tim
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:04 pm
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
apaladin wrote:
First thank you Mr. Curry!!! That is an awesome donation! So now JD pretty much said nothing is happening until the balance of the moneyis raised. He said more than half has been raised. Does that inckude Mr. Curry’s donation or not? Either way reading between the lines we are/were not close to raising the money needed after 2+ years which is disappointing. JD has said many times they were waiting for that one “cornerstone” donation to get things rolloing. Ok FU has that now thanks to Mr. Curry. The ball is now in Furman’s court.
I read it to say we are a little over 20 million raised, we will need probably 15-20 million more and then Mr. Curry's 10 million will be added to the pot.

So now we know we still need to come up with 15-20 million to green light the project, hopefully this gift being made public will motivate others to come forward.
That is the way I read it. Still nowhere close to even an announcement. Hope that is wrong and we are closer than we think. Would hate to think we are still 2-3 years away from even an announcement. If this is true, in 2+ years we”ve only reaised approximately 25%. You would think the university would kick in the balance after this most generous donation from Mr. Curry. The longer they wait the more expensive it gets.
I would not think the university would kick in the balance after this most generous donation from Mr. Curry. Instead, I would think that this most generous donation from Mr. Curry would help bring in many additional donations. If that does not happen, then we just have to wait another 4-5-6-10-15 years, or whatever, until we see that enough Furman supporters actually do want this.
I do not think you just go spending the endowment or spending operational expenses that need to go elsewhere.
Do not overlook this, which was the 7th paragraph in the announcement about Mr. Curry's gift:
Curry’s gift, and others that will fund the project, also represents Furman Athletics’ shift to being funded by sports revenue and philanthropy, Donnelly said.
I noticed that. I would like someone " in the know" to expound on it. Sounds kind of scary.
 #64345  by Sad Din
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:10 pm
Donnelly said more than half of that total has been reached.
"More than half" we dont know if that 51% 60% 70% 80% or 90%

If it were me, SD would not say 90% reached becuase that might keep people from giving. More than half is better for that
FU Hoopla liked this
 #64347  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:18 pm
tim wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:04 pm
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
apaladin wrote:

I noticed that. I would like someone " in the know" to expound on it. Sounds kind of scary.

To me it simply means if executed correctly the funding from successful NCAA sports ventures can far outpace our former methods of funding, so that would obviously be the preferred method if we can hit our success benchmarks we set forward
tim liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by cavedweller2

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.