• 2019 Recruiting

#8902  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:47 pm
edwards555 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:34 pm
Zane Meeks has signed a LOI to play volleyball at the University of Illinois

I have searched the internet and don't find that info anywhere so guessing your joking
 #8905  by tya1
 Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:04 pm
Illinois doesn't even sponsor a men's volleyball team.
 #8911  by Paul C
 Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:38 pm
Skogman appears to be out of reach. Offers from Texas Tech and Rutgers.

He also had a health scare this summer. Went into cardiac arrest during an AAU game but is cleared to play.
 #8913  by tya1
 Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:04 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:38 pm
Skogman appears to be out of reach. Offers from Texas Tech and Rutgers.

He also had a health scare this summer. Went into cardiac arrest during an AAU game but is cleared to play.
I think both Texas Tech and Rutgers brought him in for visits before the November signing period but he didn't sign. Skogman seems to be on their "B" list. I don't know if his health was a factor.
 #9375  by JohnW
 Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:44 am
Ran across a tweet saying Ben Beeker, 6-9 215 PF, from Hendersonville was taking an unofficial visit this weekend. He has an offer from Mars Hill. Haven't any idea of the level of interest by Furman, but it made me wonder if perhaps Jalen Williams has decided not to return for his R-SR year.
 #9395  by Monday
 Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:05 pm
JohnW wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:44 am
Ran across a tweet saying Ben Beeker, 6-9 215 PF, from Hendersonville was taking an unofficial visit this weekend. He has an offer from Mars Hill. Haven't any idea of the level of interest by Furman, but it made me wonder if perhaps Jalen Williams has decided not to return for his R-SR year.
Connect the dots for me. How does one kid coming to campus mean Jalen Williams isn't coming back next year? I thought all us highly knowledgable posters wanted more bigs, so this kid would be a good thing.
 #9396  by JohnW
 Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:09 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:09 pm
That's a big assumption. :D
Little more to it. I have a niggling memory of a radio interview with Williams after one of the games, I'm assuming UNCW, and him referring to this as his senior season. No announcement and there's time for him to decide one way or the other, but if he leaves, I think we need another big.
 #9416  by MNORM
 Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:43 am
JohnW wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:09 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:09 pm
That's a big assumption. :D
Little more to it. I have a niggling memory of a radio interview with Williams after one of the games, I'm assuming UNCW, and him referring to this as his senior season. No announcement and there's time for him to decide one way or the other, but if he leaves, I think we need another big.
Given the lack of PT he's been seeing, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he went ahead and skipped his R-SR year. I have no idea what CBR knows about Jalen's plans, but the fact that guys like Slawson are getting PT over him makes me think that he's not coming back. CBR needs to develop the bigs who are returning next season...it won't be easy filling Rafferty's shoes.
 #9419  by Jasper
 Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:21 am
It appears to me that every effort is being made to assure Williams does not return. Why would he come back to sit on the end of the bench as he has for most of this season?
 #9420  by PaladinPower
 Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:51 am
CBR recently said in the ALLDIN podcast with Dan Scott that Jalen Slawson is the next man up in regards to the front court subs. Mentioned that JS is winning the battles in practice, which is odd just considering Williams' size advantage.
 #9421  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:56 am
Jalen Slawson:

Great Work Ethic
Super Athlete
Improving Shooting Ability

I see him as a Kris Acox 2.0 with a better shooting touch, he has loads of potential for us in the future as long as he keeps working hard
MNORM and 1 others liked this
 #9424  by CharlieFU
 Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:16 pm
Jasper wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:21 am
It appears to me that every effort is being made to assure Williams does not return. Why would he come back to sit on the end of the bench as he has for most of this season?
I’m not sure I would characterize it that way. “Every effort is being made to assure” he doesn’t come back? Uh?

I trust our coaches to put our best players on the court. If someone isn’t cutting it for whatever reason, that’s just the way it works.