• FU @ Auburn - Dec. 5

#22421  by apaladin
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:55 am
I agree fanatic. Start the 3 guards and let Slawson backup Mounce and Gurley and Pugh backup the guards. Lots of firepower.
 #22422  by purplehorse
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:06 am
Slawson has potential and can be good but so far it must be a mental things. He is a foul machine-way too many dumb fouls around the top of the key etc.

And I am shocked by his poor rebounding numbers game after game.

Surprised he is still starting for us. I don’t get it.
 #22423  by fufanatic
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:09 am
I wish I hadn't read that Auburn thread. One guy (one!) with a reasonable post about the incredible foul disparity and the outrageous call on the deflected ball in OT. The rest thought somehow the refs were favoring Furman!!!!! On what planet is that true??????
 #22425  by PaladinPower
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:19 am
It is incredible anyone with 2 eyes would think the refs favored anyone but the home team. Auburn's 14 fouls to Furman's 27 were really making the difference in the game... And then some AU fans want to say that Auburn played poorly against an "average" team? They outrebounded Furman by double digits on the offensive glass and still barely won! Furman was just a better team that came up short.
 #22426  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:23 am
fufanatic wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:09 am
I wish I hadn't read that Auburn thread. One guy (one!) with a reasonable post about the incredible foul disparity and the outrageous call on the deflected ball in OT. The rest thought somehow the refs were favoring Furman!!!!! On what planet is that true??????

Its called planet "Denial", Furman was the better team, Auburn was gift wrapped a win, and without question deep inside all of them know it
QCGlue liked this
 #22428  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:24 am
PaladinPower wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:19 am
It is incredible anyone with 2 eyes would think the refs favored anyone but the home team. Auburn's 14 fouls to Furman's 27 were really making the difference in the game... And then some AU fans want to say that Auburn played poorly against an "average" team? They outrebounded Furman by double digits on the offensive glass and still barely won! Furman was just a better team that came up short.
If Auburn could not hide behind their SEC money, they would get smoked in Greenville by the Paladins, no question about it
 #22429  by purplehorse
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:25 am
Re-watching all the scoring for the entire game was so painful. Auburn got so many little short shots and layups and dunks particularly when we were in foul trouble the last 5 mins of game and overtime. It was disgusting!

We win if we make a few more FT’s.
Davemeister liked this
 #22430  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:28 am
purplehorse wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:25 am
Re-watching all the scoring for the entire game was so painful. Auburn got so many little short shots and layups and dunks particularly when we were in foul trouble the last 5 mins of game and overtime. It was disgusting!

We win if we make a few more FT’s.
Also the ticky tack fouls called on us in the game (even to foul our guys out) look even more absurd on the replay of the game than even I remember, we got scammed by some kindergartners

And uncalled over the backs galore on Auburn, ridiculous
 #22438  by Jasper
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:38 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:18 am
furmandad wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:11 am
Agree we need another (a) big body in the rotation. Don't know why Pugh was on the bench after his successful 1st Half. Refs were pathetic. Auburn over the top/on our backs all night. Lyons was absent on offense and his man blew by him defensively several times. When the shot's not going, gotta find other ways to contribute. GREAT effort in a next to impossible environment. Go Dins.
I don't think Lyons was absent. He was blanketed by Samir Doughty all afternoon.

It was clear that Auburn was not going to let Lyons get looks at the basket.

We definitely missed Beeker. I think we ended the game with 5 guards on the floor.
I agree that Lyons was not "absent". Slawson was the one who was absent. But I disagree that Lyons was "blanketed" in the basketball sense of the word. That description would apply to someone who was denied the ball or could not get off a shot against a stifling defense. That was not the case. He got off 15 shots, second only to Gurley. He made just 4 of those 15 and only 1 of the 7 three pointers. He looked to me like he was forcing his shots and that usually leads to a bad percentage. I don't know what his problem is this year but I hope it gets corrected in some manner before league play. He has been a reliable scorer in the past for Furman, albeit with a lot of shots.

Jaylon Pugh was sensational in the first half with 3 of 4 from 3 points and a great move for a foul line jumper that made him 4 for 5. He even had 2 rebounds. His absence in the second half is baffling.
 #22440  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:41 pm
gman wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:42 pm
Yep, Auburn and the SEC should be ashamed, total disgrace
 #22441  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:54 pm
I'll say this about our team.

Even in light of one bad call after another, the team never lost composure. The coach never lost composure. It was a clear contrast to their opponents, who seemed to lose their mind over every call or non-call.
FurmAlum, FUKA61, QCGlue liked this
 #22448  by FurmAlum
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:53 pm
Their coach: Acted like a blathering idiot everytime anything went wrong.

Our coach: Acted like a gentlemen the whole game, never lost his composure, even though the calls were not going his way. He got on the Refs, but did it in a way that didn't show them up. (If he had gotten a tech, I wouldn't have blamed him).

I'd like to see a rematch in the NCAA's on a neutral court, with neutral officiating. I bet AU wouldn't.
FUKA61, QCGlue liked this
 #22450  by purplehorse
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:16 pm
I have said before that if we went 0-25 I would still want CBR as our coach. I know that is an over-exaggeration and the losses would eventually affect me. But what a great guy and class act and great coach. I am surprised folks are not beating down the door wanting to play for him. I hope he will stay at Furman for a long long time. There is no one on the Furman campus I respect more. I think the wins will come if he can recruit well.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by The Jackal

Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:38 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.