• (15-2) Furman @ (14-3) UNCG Jan. 12th

#9003  by fu77fan
 Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:51 pm
The problem with today’s game of course was turnovers. Also we had about 5 charges against us , which are essentially turnovers.

The problem overall is that other than Rafferty, we have no consistency. We have a number of players that can have a great game one night, but then contribute very little the next night.
If everyone on the team were to have a good game on the same night, we can certainly beat anyone in the league.
underjack liked this
 #9005  by CharlieFU
 Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:47 pm
PaladinFan89 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:35 pm
Concerned we are getting too worn down... any reason why Bothwell and Williams aren’t getting PT to give hunter and Rafferty a blow?
[/quote

We don’t have anyone averaging more than 32 minutes per game. I don’t think this is an issue.

Williams? I am certain there are very good reasons he isn’t playing. And they have everything to do with his abilities.
apaladin liked this
 #9011  by Jasper
 Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:00 am
As has been pointed out, the number of turnovers committed by FU was the big difference in the game. UNCG made 26 points off them. The amount of minutes being logged by some players, particularly Rafferty, should be a major concern as the long season goes on. He is bound to wear down and/or be injured. Not using Jalen Williams to spell him each game is baffling. As a matter or fact, so is the 7 man rotation that was used last night.
 #9012  by fufanatic
 Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:07 am
I trust that the coaches know better than I do, but like others, it still seems strange to me that Williams can’t even get a few minutes anymore. Is he really so bad that he can’t grab a couple of boards, make a basket or two and use up some of those 5 fouls in 5 minutes of action midway through each half? I know it was garbage time, but he looked pretty good against I believe it was UNCW. Had several easy baskets and boards in very limited time. Maybe it messes with the tempo that BR likes to play. Who knows, but an offensive rebound here or there last night mighta made a difference.
AllKnighter, Jasper liked this
 #9013  by CharlieFU
 Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:27 am
Rafferty played 38 min last night, 5 min above his average. That was largely due to Gurley and Mounce foul trouble. I understand the Williams debate (and occasionally have had some concern) BUT I will take that extra 5 min from Matt over Jalen. The fact remains that Williams’ execution mistakes outweigh the benefits.

Last night had everything to do with sloppy and often stupid turnovers and poor defense than a lack of height or girth.
apaladin, Flagman, MNORM and 1 others liked this
 #9016  by Monday
 Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:21 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:27 am
Rafferty played 38 min last night, 5 min above his average. That was largely due to Gurley and Mounce foul trouble. I understand the Williams debate (and occasionally have had some concern) BUT I will take that extra 5 min from Matt over Jalen. The fact remains that Williams’ execution mistakes outweigh the benefits.

Last night had everything to do with sloppy and often stupid turnovers and poor defense than a lack of height or girth.
Those mistakes must be pretty damning since he's gotten the least amount of PT of anyone who hasn't been a walk-on. Or, about a tenth of Rafferty's PT.

Rafferty and Hunter are 2 and 3 of the top SoCon players for minutes played. FU is the only team with 3 in the top ten. ETSU, UNCG, and Wofford have no one in the top ten. That's not a recipe for being fresh for the tournament.
Fessor, dinsontop liked this
 #9020  by tya1
 Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:11 pm
UNCG is a good team that played with a lot of energy Saturday. They needed to. Losing two home games to the top contenders while at home would have been put them in a tough spot. Miller, their top underclassman, had a great game. He had a career high 25 and hit 4 three point shots. Normally a 28% three point shooter, If he hits his usual percentage the game probably goes down to the last shot.

The really frustrating thing was that most of our mistakes were unforced. Guys dribbling the all off their legs while unguarded, twisting around to make awkward passes, some missed shots at point blank range.
Rafferty and Hunter are 2 and 3 of the top SoCon players for minutes played. FU is the only team with 3 in the top ten. ETSU, UNCG, and Wofford have no one in the top ten. That's not a recipe for being fresh for the tournament.
Over the next seven weeks we play an average of less than 2 games per week (approx. 1.7 gpw) Two games a week (or less) is not what I would call an exhausting grind. Playing two games in 24 hours or three in 48 hours like you need to do in the conference tournament - maybe you have a point. Two a week? Please.

We now have a week to correct the mistakes from the UNCG game and prepare for Wofford. The schedule gave us road games at the toughest conference foes on the road in the first couple of weeks of January. If we can get just one win of that trio of games we will be in good shape. Just try to improve every game.

It should be clear after Richey's first year and a half that he wants a team that plays a certain style of offense. He wants five players on the court who can all shoot from the perimeter, pass effectively, drive to the hoop when the chance is there, move without the ball and keep maximum pressure on the other defense. If you look at the big men he has tried to recruit you see all those qualities to some degree. In fact, of the forwards he offered for next year's freshman class only one wouldn't be regarded as a very good shooter, and he was 6'10" and a terrific passer who was a respectably good shooter for the size. Williams is a physical low post presence and very good rebounder and shot blocker but not as efficient on offense. Not quite a fit for the style, although I would not be surprised if he doesn't get more playing time as we continue.
 #9029  by hypercycloid
 Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:07 am
Tre Clark getting three fouls early (at least one of which was nonsense) I thought was a big factor in the loss. He was playing great until that 3rd foul and then was solid when he got back in the game. We talk a lot about someone needing to step up besides Rafferty. I think Clark is one of the guys definitely trying to do just that.
Fessor, apaladin, FU03times and 1 others liked this
 #9034  by apaladin
 Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:58 am
hypercycloid wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:07 am
Tre Clark getting three fouls early (at least one of which was nonsense) I thought was a big factor in the loss. He was playing great until that 3rd foul and then was solid when he got back in the game. We talk a lot about someone needing to step up besides Rafferty. I think Clark is one of the guys definitely trying to do just that.
Tre Clark has been been a huge boost and has played great off the bench. He is a big part of this team, no doubt.
fufanatic, Fessor, LB1987 liked this
 #9040  by Jasper
 Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:26 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:47 pm
PaladinFan89 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:35 pm
Concerned we are getting too worn down... any reason why Bothwell and Williams aren’t getting PT to give hunter and Rafferty a blow?
[/quote

We don’t have anyone averaging more than 32 minutes per game. I don’t think this is an issue.

Williams? I am certain there are very good reasons he isn’t playing. And they have everything to do with his abilities.

Somehow I don't think that is the case.