• Coach Richey

#8584  by CharlieFU
 Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:20 am
It’s interesting to see others noticing Coach Richey’s success, since it means they are noticing Furman.

Read a twitter thread in which original question was who will replace Danny Manning at Wake Forest if he is fired.

Coach DMV
@CoachDMV
Replying to
@CoachingChanges
Furmans coach? Fits academic/finding hidden gems type of guy. Culture builder like Dabo. Young but could be a home run.
 #8586  by tim
 Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:53 am
" Academic/finding the gems kind of guy" could be a better fit at Furman than anywhere else but I'm sure money will talk as it usually does. Just a thought but we might have a better chance at keeping him than a guy like Medved.
furpop16 liked this
 #8587  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:24 am
I'm not going to stress about it and let whatever happens happens. I'm just happy Furman has a well-regarded coach.

I do not know Richey personally nor can I speak to his future aspirations. I do see one major difference between he and Medved, though: Richey has deep ties to South Carolina. He grew up in the state, spent his entire basketball career as a player and coach there, and went to college in Greenville. I also understand that his wife is from Greenville.

Again, that may not mean much, but I expect it counts for something.
QCGlue, furpop16, underjack and 1 others liked this
 #8589  by Fessor
 Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:49 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
... Culture builder like Dabo. ....
We used to call it the "$100 handshake".

"Culture building" sounds so much more refined and sophisticated. Yeah, culture building, that's what Dabo's doing. Culture building. ;)
Last edited by Fessor on Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #8591  by Paul C
 Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:22 pm
Knowing Bob a little bit I would say we have a good shot at keeping him IF we can continue to invest in the program and reward him reasonably. He's a little less money motivated, although like is true for all of us, at some point you can't turn down the right opportunity. I get the sense he's playing the long game and would pass up some short term gains in the interest of building something here that would allow him to make a substantial jump when the time comes.
Bootie, FUKA61, underjack and 3 others liked this
 #8620  by ccoates
 Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:35 am
Fessor wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:49 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
... Culture builder like Dabo. ....
We used to call it the "$100 handshake".

"Culture building" sounds so much more refined and sophisticated. Yeah, culture building, that's what Dabo's doing. Culture building. ;)

Are we talking CULTURE in the academic sense? Or culture in the medical sense. E.G. pre and post game cultures by the medical staff
 #8622  by fufanatic
 Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:33 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:22 pm
Knowing Bob a little bit I would say we have a good shot at keeping him IF we can continue to invest in the program and reward him reasonably. He's a little less money motivated, although like is true for all of us, at some point you can't turn down the right opportunity. I get the sense he's playing the long game and would pass up some short term gains in the interest of building something here that would allow him to make a substantial jump when the time comes.
Would very much love to not lose another coach to a fellow mid-major like we did with NM. I would respect BR forever if he won some titles and some NCAA games at Furman and only then moved up to a power conference school.