• Comparing Potential Value of Basketball to Furman with Potential Value of Football to Furman

#52074  by Affirm
 Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:32 pm
2022 NIT participating schools include:
Florida, Oklahoma, Colorado, Mississippi State, Virginia, SMU, Washington State, BYU, Texas A&M, Oregon, Princeton, Wake Forest, etc.
2022 NCAA Tournament participating schools include:
Arkansas, Alabama, Notre Dame, Texas Tech, Michigan State, Duke, Baylor, UNC, Indiana, UCLA, Texas, TCU, Virginia Tech, Purdue, Yale, Kentucky, Arizona, Illinois, Michigan, Tennessee, Ohio State, Kansas, Iowa, LSU, Wisconsin, University of Southern California, Miami, Auburn, etc.
WHEN WE GET OUR BASKETBALL PROGRAM TO THE LEVEL WE ARE CAPABLE OF GETTING IT TO,
then we would have fairly regular opportunities to have respectable competition with schools such as the above.
IF WE WOULD BE ABLE TO GET OUR FOOTBALL PROGRAM BACK TO EVEN THE HIGHEST LEVELS WE HAD IT IN THE LAST 50 YEARS, then we would still not have opportunities to have any regular opportunities for competition (and certainly never post-season competition in games that are of importance and high interest) with schools such as the above. Comparing the value of wins at various levels in FCS Playoffs with potential wins in the NCAA or NIT, basketball comes out more valuable, past, present, and future.
 #52076  by furpop16
 Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:20 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:32 pm
2022 NIT participating schools include:
Florida, Oklahoma, Colorado, Mississippi State, Virginia, SMU, Washington State, BYU, Texas A&M, Oregon, Princeton, Wake Forest, etc.
2022 NCAA Tournament participating schools include:
Arkansas, Alabama, Notre Dame, Texas Tech, Michigan State, Duke, Baylor, UNC, Indiana, UCLA, Texas, TCU, Virginia Tech, Purdue, Yale, Kentucky, Arizona, Illinois, Michigan, Tennessee, Ohio State, Kansas, Iowa, LSU, Wisconsin, University of Southern California, Miami, Auburn, etc.
WHEN WE GET OUR BASKETBALL PROGRAM TO THE LEVEL WE ARE CAPABLE OF GETTING IT TO,
then we would have fairly regular opportunities to have respectable competition with schools such as the above.
IF WE WOULD BE ABLE TO GET OUR FOOTBALL PROGRAM BACK TO EVEN THE HIGHEST LEVELS WE HAD IT IN THE LAST 50 YEARS, then we would still not have opportunities to have any regular opportunities for competition (and certainly never post-season competition in games that are of importance and high interest) with schools such as the above. Comparing the value of wins at various levels in FCS Playoffs with potential wins in the NCAA or NIT, basketball comes out more valuable, past, present, and future.

Without conceding your point, would it help if we scheduled more pre-season fb games with Richmond, Colgate, Bucknell, Fordham, or W&M ? Perhaps attach a basketball rivalry with any of those schools as well?
 #52077  by AstroDin
 Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:27 pm
The value of a mid-major BB program making noise in a good way is public now.
When Furman was on a roll beating Nova and Loyola back-to-back the media attention was through the roof.
I did run sample analytics on the increase of the share of voice back then - but I can't find that data now.

I do know that Furman got a boost of positive sentiment during and after the buzzer-beater loss to the Mocs.

Without some serious research — pretty much all we have is Qualitative data—and my guess is for Furman to let's say double a coaches salary there will need to be some numbers behind that move. Ticket sales, Tourney revenue, sponsorships, donations, perspective student interest uptick, etc…

Not saying it's not happening… but it doesn't hurt to have alums gathering in cities like DC to watch Furman play ball. Admins pay attention to stuff like that.
 #52078  by AstroDin
 Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:40 pm
I'll add on cause its on my mind… College Football and Basketball have a retail component.
You make a purchase (ticket) and then you attend an event (experience).

Smart brands with deep pockets for research don't just know who their customers are, and how much they spend.
They dig deeper are customers just satisfied, or highly satisfied, is there a brand preference (wear your gear around town), and do they take that great step - bring others to the table - and are emotionally connected to the brand.

If Furman was to beat or lose to Clemson next season in OT - Furman would get a big awareness, conversation, and positive sentiment increase. Think about what APP beating Michigan did for that program's brand.

Furman has already proven-it has a greater chance of that happening in Basketball beating the likes of Nova and Louisville.

I guess my point is you are what you measure, in other words, what do you value as a brand/institution. We have no idea want the Admin at Furman values is. I'm sure they like the bumps a positive sports story can deliver—the question is how much is worth to the school????

I'm not sure if $$$$ will ever be a real value Football or Basketball can deliver…
 #52083  by purplehorse
 Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:51 pm
Being a Greenville native and Furman alumnus I have gone to both Furman football and basketball games my entire life for 60 plus years. Once we could get in the FCS playoffs for football around 82-83 that was a game changer. However if you aren’t getting in the playoffs on a somewhat regular basis that “game-changer” becomes a moot point. Meanwhile our basketball drought has been so long after the Joe Williams era that for the most part the NCAA tourney was a non-factor.

Based on the current state of football and basketball if I had to choose I would choose to put more money into basketball and I think we could be one relevant. Our best days in football may be behind us based on what we have seen recently.

We need more talent in basketball and I know our academic standards hurt us but I still think we could become a somewhat regular participant in the basketball NCAA tourney or at least the NIT.
bj93 liked this
 #52089  by Affirm
 Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:44 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Being a Greenville native and Furman alumnus I have gone to both Furman football and basketball games my entire life for 60 plus years. Once we could get in the FCS playoffs for football around 82-83 that was a game changer. However if you aren’t getting in the playoffs on a somewhat regular basis that “game-changer” becomes a moot point. Meanwhile our basketball drought has been so long after the Joe Williams era that for the most part the NCAA tourney was a non-factor.

Based on the current state of football and basketball if I had to choose I would choose to put more money into basketball and I think we could be one relevant. Our best days in football may be behind us based on what we have seen recently.

We need more talent in basketball and I know our academic standards hurt us but I still think we could become a somewhat regular participant in the basketball NCAA tourney or at least the NIT.
Both NCAA and NIT.
Agreeing with your whole post.
 #52094  by Affirm
 Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:58 pm
Northeast Furman Fan wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:00 pm
I would like to see both Football and Basketball competing at the highest levels. I enjoy both sports and attend games for both sports. Let's grow them both.
Because of resources, to me it seems to be not feasible to be highest level in both. Resources spread too thin. Mediocre in both.
 #52097  by Affirm
 Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:02 pm
AstroDin wrote:
I'll add on cause its on my mind… College Football and Basketball have a retail component.

Smart brands with deep pockets for research don't just know who their customers are, and how much they spend.
They dig deeper are customers just satisfied, or highly satisfied, is there a brand preference (wear your gear around town), and do they take that great step - bring others to the table - and are emotionally connected to the brand.

If Furman was to beat or lose to Clemson next season in OT - Furman would get a big awareness, conversation, and positive sentiment increase. Think about what APP beating Michigan did for that program's brand.

Furman has already proven-it has a greater chance of that happening in Basketball beating the likes of Nova and Louisville.

I guess my point is you are what you measure, in other words, what do you value as a brand/institution. We have no idea want the Admin at Furman values is. I'm sure they like the bumps a positive sports story can deliver—the question is how much is worth to the school????

I'm not sure if $$$$ will ever be a real value Football or Basketball can deliver…
If Furman would beat Clemson on 9/10/2022, we all would faint. Dabo would be gone by Monday 9/12/2022. I’m not saying it would be impossible to stay within 10 points of them, though I don’t expect it.
 #52098  by Affirm
 Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:06 pm
AstroDin wrote:

Basketball success is possible for us at a level that can deliver us more good students applying and wanting to come in greater numbers.
 #52103  by Sad Din
 Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:22 pm
But like CBR has said, u gotta keep moving forward or u r left behind. Even the slugs down the road understand this...

CU AD:
I am working with our senior athletics staff to focus further investment in our basketball programs, which I believe will pay dividends next season and beyond. While we’ve continued to make strides relative to our peers in support areas, facilities and resources, we have room to do more. We must ensure we provide the necessary support staff, an exceptional student-athlete experience, strategy for evolving Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) resources and the recruiting investment to not only be competitive—but to be excellent.

Read more: https://www.tigernet.com/clemson-basket ... z7NpjcCpyx
 #52132  by Davemeister
 Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:46 am
purplehorse wrote:

Furman's participation in Football did not keep the basketball team out of the NCAA and NIT. The Furman Basketball team kept Furman out of those tournaments. I support both programs. If Furman discontinued Football tomorrow it would not help Furman basketball one iota. The solution is our basketball team winning more games.
FUBeAR, MNORM, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #52140  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:52 am
Davemeister wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:46 am
purplehorse wrote:

Furman's participation in Football did not keep the basketball team out of the NCAA and NIT. The Furman Basketball team kept Furman out of those tournaments. I support both programs. If Furman discontinued Football tomorrow it would not help Furman basketball one iota. The solution is our basketball team winning more games.

The solution is both Football and Basketball winning a lot more games! That solves everything :D
FUBeAR, dornb, Davemeister liked this