• CBR TWEET NO POSTSEASON

#51751  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:36 pm
So proud of these seniors. The work for next season begins now. Its a done deal, no postseason.
 #51752  by Paul C
 Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:22 pm
After we missed NIT bid it didn’t matter.

What a season of “if only’s”.
 #51754  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:28 pm
Paul C wrote:

Yep a season full of them. Let’s not forget tonight next season. Every game including those in November and December count.
Affirm, dornb liked this
 #51755  by purplehorse
 Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:35 pm
If we got in any post-season tourney and won it, I think it would be one of the best accomplishments for the program ever. And give us more experience for next season. I am shocked we are not going to participate.
 #51756  by fu77fan
 Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:43 pm
Agree with purple horse. We have not been in the NCAA in 42 years, and in the NIT only two years. Agree, that in my opinion,we could benefit from a tournament run in one of the lesser tournaments.
But I am sure that CBR is making the best decision for the team.

Go Dins
 #51757  by purplehorse
 Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:59 pm
Why did we play in one of the lower tournaments a few years ago and not now?

As I recall this is the second year we have opted out. That would make me not want to play basketball at Furman-to opt out of any tourney if you had an option to play in it. If it is a $$$ issue (like baseball), that would be pathetic and very sad. I would just like to know why.

No wonder they announced the Charleston tourney this past week. Maybe it was to help soften this blow. We had no realistic chance of getting in the NIT. That was all wishful thinking.
 #51758  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:03 am
Let the long drought in major Furman spectator sports begin. The first in history. I am very depressed and distraught. Thanks ED.
 #51761  by purplehorse
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:19 am
I can understand it if a really good team got screwed by the NCAA and refused to play in the NIT. But that does not apply to Furman. Furman is trying to make a name for itself and any post-season appearance would help that to some degree. I cannot imagine a Furman team not wanting to compete. I cannot imagine CBR not wanting to compete. If it is a $$ issue, that is pathetic. A black mark on our basketball program IMHO.

I have always said I could not understand anyone not wanting to come to Furman and play for CBR. Well this would trump any of the positives of playing at Furman. I don’t get it.
 #51763  by Roundball
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:19 am
I trust the decision of the players to not play in anything but the NCAA or the NIT. That is the attitude of a winner.
Also, I want to thank this team for giving this guy a thrill of a year. I love this Furman team. It is a honor and a privilege to be a supporter of a group of fine young men led by the best coaching staff in America. Continue to learn, grow and strive to be the best. See y’all in November. Go Paladins!
Affirm, GOAT, QCGlue and 3 others liked this
 #51766  by Affirm
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:48 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:28 pm
Paul C wrote:

Yep a season full of them. Let’s not forget tonight next season. Every game including those in November and December count.
True.
If blame has to be directed anywhere, be sure to remember to place an ample amount of that blame on us the fans. (Us yahoos if you prefer.) When we lose ANY OOC or SoCon games along the way, especially along the way in November and December, and ANY that we seemingly should be expected to win or at least be expected to be able to pull an upset in (Belmont, Winthrop, Navy, etc.), that is a time for us to be really complaining vociferously (at least unless and until Furman follows up with a significant upset over one or more of the higher-profile opponents like Mississippi State, Alabama, UNC-CH, etc.), and maybe even beyond that until we know we are going to end up with (let’s say) 25 wins that will ensure of at least an NIT invite. Don’t keep depending so much on late season success. Remember how that has worked out for us the last 43 years. And while we’re at it, let’s talk about getting in the A-10 or similar or at least talk about demanding that the SoCon improve along with us simultaneously staying at least at a #2 or #3 competitive level in whatever conference.
underjack liked this
 #51770  by Affirm
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:59 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:03 am
Let the long drought in major Furman spectator sports begin. The first in history. I am very depressed and distraught. Thanks ED.
Furman does not exist for the purpose of providing spectator sports to a sport-saturated, sports-mad world. In fact, NO college does. Yes, thanks to ED for her great work as president of Furman.
Reminder: Classes for the semester end before the end of April. Let students and faculty and staff ALL focus on that and on everything else that comes next.
What’s next for us fans needs to include cementing our plans to be present for all of the Charleston Classic next November AND the Wofford football game the same weekend plus all subsequent football playoff games after that football game.
 #51773  by FU3
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:25 am
“ Yes, thanks to ED for her great work as president of Furman.”
For those of us less in the know please let us know what “great work” has been accomplished.If you are referring to athletics you may want to thank a few key members of our Board of Trustees who continue to support our programs in spite of the wishes of others.
apaladin, FU69 liked this