• Three days later and just have one question....

#51481  by Sad Din
 Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:01 pm
How the x$#@ did that guy make that shot!

1. In OT
2. Tourney berth on the line
3. Hadnt made too many shots
4. Presence of mind to take shot with .5sec left
5. Guarded by 2 players
6. 40 ft from the basket

Nothing but net... c'mon man. It doenst do justice to the word "miracle"
 #51496  by apaladin
 Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:51 pm
Sad Din wrote:

1. In OT
5. Guarded by 2 players
6. 40 ft from the basket

In hindsight I wish we had called TO after the MB basket. Put Hien on the inbounder. Gave them a free 20 ft inbounds pass, never impeded his progress, never made him change direction. Give him credit for going as far as he could go before launching. It was definitely a 1 in 1,000 shot. Nothing we can do. We have to get over this and let it go, we have to get over this and let it go, we have to get over this and let it go……
 #51511  by Roundball
 Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:44 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:51 pm
Sad Din wrote:

1. In OT
5. Guarded by 2 players
6. 40 ft from the basket

In hindsight I wish we had called TO after the MB basket. Put Hien on the inbounder. Gave them a free 20 ft inbounds pass, never impeded his progress, never made him change direction. Give him credit for going as far as he could go before launching. It was definitely a 1 in 1,000 shot. Nothing we can do. We have to get over this and let it go, we have to get over this and let it go, we have to get over this and let it go……
The question of whether or not we had a timeout available came up in a conversation yesterday. I know each team was given a timeout for overtime, so we did have one available that we did not use, right?
 #51513  by Affirm
 Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:19 am
Should we hope that poaching AD’s from filthy rich schools (UofSC, UGA, CU, etc.) in need of a new coach see this situation as a “coaching error” (I’m not saying it was, I doubt it was, except possibly in the luxury of extravagant hindsight), realize that CBR is “still learning”, and decide to let us keep him? Or such schools’ AD’s Will believe their hypercritical fans will see it as such and the AD’s will pass over CBR because they fear the fans ire? (“Still learning”, by the way, is a good thing; hopefully we all are still learning.)
 #51514  by AstroDin
 Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:41 am
Situations like that are so bang-bang it's hard to play what-ifs.
The reality of the speed of the game plays into Sad Din's points.

I mainly stay on the football side of the forum—because BB rips at my soul in a much harder way.
I cherish my memories as a kid going to Joe Williams BB camps.
And I think I know more than I actually know.
Playing HS basketball does that to you, and it's like comparing apples to oranges.

I don't like the transfer effect of college basketball today, or I should say the excess of it.
In Chatty's case. But the reality is a college BB coach has to win to keep his job, and transfers are IMO the easy way.

Back to the end of the game—both the DINs and MOCs played the end of the game as well as possible.
You can't blame Bothwell for starting his drive when he did, Furman's defense played tight coverage and for the most part, drove Baptiste to a spot on the court—you have to like your chances he'll miss or not get the shot off in time.

Well, he drained the shot—I chalk this up to a veteran high-level basketball player getting his shot that he's done many times before in pick-up games and drills.

The sunshine for us Furman BB fans is the foundation of a successful program that has been built. There is an expectation of success, and it appears the work effort to keep it.

I'm pretty sure this off-season is going to be bumpy—Miss St fans are already calling for Richey to be a candidate. Clemson fans want Brownell fired. Who knows what the bright minds in Columbia will do. As a fan, this is out of our control.

All I can do is worry about me—and I've had my faith restored in Furman BB.
furpop16, apaladin, dornb liked this
 #51520  by apaladin
 Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:09 am
We do have a lot to be thankful for, We coukd have lost the semi-final game and not even be in contention for an NIT. We are a point now where 20 win seasons are expected and have become the norm. Who would have ever thought that? W are at a point that if we ever do make it to the tournament we feel like we can compete and not just get in. Mondays game was a dagger but not many sports fans dont know who Furman is anymore. Yes we have a lot to be thankful for and the future is bright.
din23, dornb, Roundball liked this