• Furman vs UTC for Socon Championship March 7

#51294  by Fuonetime
 Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:58 am
Heartbreaking loss for the Paladins. However, it was great for the Socon. Exciting final between 2 excellent teams. We were on a big stage on ESPN and we showed we belong. It might be the best conference tourney final that ESPN will show this season. Furman demonstrated that their season does not deserve to end, whether in the NCAA (small chance) or NIT (better chance). CBR, staff and team deserve our deepest appreciation for a wonderful season. Lets get the Timmons renovations funded and build on this excellent foundation. Go Dins.
apaladin, dornb, furpop16 and 3 others liked this
 #51308  by FurmanATT
 Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:58 pm
I'm not worth a whole lot today. I'm glad I had a long drive home before I finished the story.
Sometimes I get myself in trouble with my mouth, not to mention my fingers.
After the game, I sat there on press row. I was stoic. Elena Davidson , who took great photos during the whole tournament, said, "This is the 1st time I've ever seen you speechless."
I hadn't said a word or moved in 5 minutes.
I hope you enjoyed the FurmanATT.com coverage.
I've got a lot of catching up to do after being on the road (beginning of Big South in Charlotte because I cover Presbyterian at the other site, LaurensCountySports.com), but it's going to have to wait because I'm spent today.
About 2 years ago I wrote a song with these words in the chorus.
I'll get over it / Clean out the ditches / Time heals all wounds / This one needs stitches.
-- MD
hypercycloid, Roundball, FU69 and 2 others liked this
 #51318  by FUBeAR
 Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:41 pm
FurmanATT wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:58 pm
I'm not worth a whole lot today. I'm glad I had a long drive home before I finished the story.
Sometimes I get myself in trouble with my mouth, not to mention my fingers.
After the game, I sat there on press row. I was stoic. Elena Davidson , who took great photos during the whole tournament, said, "This is the 1st time I've ever seen you speechless."
I hadn't said a word or moved in 5 minutes.
I hope you enjoyed the FurmanATT.com coverage.
I've got a lot of catching up to do after being on the road (beginning of Big South in Charlotte because I cover Presbyterian at the other site, LaurensCountySports.com), but it's going to have to wait because I'm spent today.
About 2 years ago I wrote a song with these words in the chorus.
I'll get over it / Clean out the ditches / Time heals all wounds / This one needs stitches.
-- MD
Good line - quite apt - heckuva good write-up also

Roundball, FU69, dornb liked this
 #51455  by RaleighDin
 Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:35 am
Anyone know if they plan to put the post-game interview online in entirety? I know it's probably painful, but it's the last we'll hear from Alex Hunter and potentially Mike Bothwell. They're both such incredible young men and I'd hate to miss that.
dornb, underjack liked this
 #51456  by apaladin
 Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:03 am
Remember the old Wide World of Sports show? When it came on Jim McKay always said “the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat”. We experienced both in 4.3 seconds. How long will it be before that shot is not the first thing I think of when I wake up in the morning?
 #51458  by Paul C
 Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:24 am
apaladin wrote:
Remember the old Wide World of Sports show? When it came on Jim McKay always said “the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat”. We experienced both in 4.3 seconds. How long will it be before that shot is not the first thing I think of when I wake up in the morning?
Just have to put it in the rearview mirror. Like the '85 loss to Ga Southern in the National Championship game, or the Miracle on the Mountain, or Ingle Martin slipping on the ice, just have to let it go....
MidlandsPaladin, Roundball, FUBeAR and 3 others liked this
 #51459  by Flagman
 Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:31 am
Our ending is no longer unique. Montana St. vs N. Colorado, Clemson vs Va. Tech. There are more, and more to come, most likely. It's just madness. We'll be playing more basketball. I can't believe that we're finished.
underjack liked this
 #51468  by apaladin
 Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:40 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:24 am
apaladin wrote:
Just have to put it in the rearview mirror. Like the '85 loss to Ga Southern in the National Championship game, or the Miracle on the Mountain, or Ingle Martin slipping on the ice, just have to let it go....
Thanks Paul, I needed that.
Dins&Heels liked this
 #51474  by fu77fan
 Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:51 pm
Unfortunately, 4 -5 seconds is a long time in basketball. In regulation, in 4 seconds, Smith was able to advance the ball to about the foul line. Had it not been for the excellent defense of Slawson, who ran step for step with Smith down the court and blocked his shot, we might have loss in regulation.
Unfortunately in OT , we were not as fortunate. We allowed DJB to advance the ball over mid court by 2 seconds. He was able to square up and get off a long shot in time. Unfortunately, while yes a low probabilit shot,, college players can definitely make that shot. IMHO, where we erred was letting him get the ball across mid court .
All in all , they made 3 consecutive 3’s in the last 2 minutes. Had they missed any of them, we would be the Champs. While I am heartbroken that we lost, I congratulate the team for a great effort and for never giving up in the face of adversity!!

Go Furman
underjack, apaladin, dornb liked this