• Cuts both ways, I reckon ...

#48696  by FurmanATT
 Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:17 am
Since I've started perusing this board and posting comments from time to time, it reminds me of my days covering NASCAR.
From time to time over 20 years, occasionally I'd confront someone in the garage who took strong issue with something I wrote. Except in rare instances whan caught by surprise and a bit angered by the ambush, I'd try to let the person say what he had to say. Then I'd say one of two things: either (a.) "In my defense, it was heartfelt," which often stopped them in their tracks, or (b.) "You think I'm tough? You ought to read my mail. I'm Fans Light."
Fans are demanding because they are passionate and invested. Perhaps in this area, I am moderated by a career of seeing incredibly good, bad and shocking events and occurrences. The level doesn't matter. Less than a year ago, when Presbyterian College fired head football coach Tommy Spangler, I had not been astonished by anything like that since Dale Earnhardt's death.
Okay. This is the basketball board. I love reading the posts because they give me insight into what people are thinking.
From here on out, I'll be at Timmons (and Bon Secours) more and more. So far, I've had a ball at Furman. For several years, I've admired the way the Paladins play basketball. It's been cool for me to interview Bob Richey and his players.
I think fans love to win by 40 points. If it's your team, you enjoy every minute. Readers think writing about a great game is hard. A great game writes itself. The blowout is when I've got to be a writer. (Another of my sayings is that on a good day, I'm a writer, but most of the time I'm just a typist.)
But enough of me. I too aspire to seeing greatness in the Paladins. I am excited by its flashes and dismayed when the batteries go dead.
Personally, I'm fascinated by the balance of the SoCon and the relative unpredictability of most games. It's a worthwhile hill to climb. Damned if all those other teams ain't tryin' too.
Since FurmanATT.com launched in late summer of last year, the Paladins have consistently given me something to write about. That meets the minimum daily requirements by a lot.
-- MD
hypercycloid, dornb, gman84 and 1 others liked this
 #48718  by Davemeister
 Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:03 pm
FurmanATT wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:17 am
I too aspire to seeing greatness in the Paladins. I am excited by its flashes and dismayed when the batteries go dead.
Personally, I'm fascinated by the balance of the SoCon and the relative unpredictability of most games. It's a worthwhile hill to climb. Damned if all those other teams ain't tryin' too.

Thanks. That's something we all need to hear from time to time.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.