• CRAZY SEASON

#47189  by apaladin
 Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:58 pm
So far it has been a crazy basketball season with more upsets than ever. I think it all started with the Furman win at Louisville. They may not all be upsets but they are certainly perceived that way. The craziness continued tonight:
Coastal beat the Chickens by 24.
Georgia beat #18 Memphis after losing to Wofford on Sunday.
Wofford loses to Richmond at home after beating Georgia Sunday.
Utah Valley beat #12 BYU
Arizona State scored 29 points the whole game.
NC State and Nebraska went 4 overtimes.
UNR Oklahoma beat #14 Florida.
If nothing else it shows how much parity there is in CBB.
Last edited by apaladin on Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #47197  by Affirm
 Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:53 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:58 pm
So far it has been a crazy basketball season with more upsets than ever. I think it all started with the Furman win at Louisville. They may not all be upsets but they are certainly perceived that way. The craziness continued tonight:
Coastal beat the Chickens by 24.
Georgia beat #18 Memphis after losing to Wofford on Sunday.
Wofford loses to Richmond at home after beating Georgia Sunday.
Utah Valley beat #12 BYU
Arizona State scored 29 points the whole game.
NC State and Nebraska went 4 overtimes.
UNR Oklahoma beat #14 Florida.
If nothing else it shows how much parody there is in CBB.
Parody it is!
Or did you mean parity?
By the way: Beat Wofford.
Last edited by Affirm on Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #47212  by FurmAlum
 Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:04 pm
No question about it. Great post AP.

I think this is being fueled by a combination of the extra year of eligibility that COVID created, the one and done philosophy that some of the bluebloods employ, and the liberalized transfer rules that enable players to change teams in one year.

Case in point FU: Hunter came back for a 5th year and Garrison joined from Div II. The result is 4 Senior experienced players in starting lineup. Some of the Power 5 like Duke and Kentucky are always playing with freshmen. Talented yes, but still prone to mistakes. It somewhat levels the playing field.

There would be even more "parody" if some of these Power 5 games against mid-majors were on neutral courts or true road games on the mid-major home court.

I bet if USC or Clempson had to run a gauntlet of at Coastal, at Charleston, at Citadel, at Winthrop, and at Furman, they might be 0-5, ready to fire the coach and then discontinue basketball! HaHaHa!

That's the stuff of dreams.
apaladin, FU69 liked this
 #47396  by apaladin
 Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:28 am
The craziness got really crazy tonight as 0-7 Texas Southern won at #20 Florida by 15.
 #47516  by apaladin
 Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:57 am
More craziness. Wisconsin had their biggest comeback win ever. They overcame a 22 point deficit against Indiana and won 64-59. Watched the last 10 minutes of the WC/GW games. WC are still masters of the flop. Player after player flopping. One tme 2 WC players has a GW player sandwiched and the GW player didn’t touch either and both fell to the floor like they were shot. :lol:
furpop16 liked this
 #47538  by apaladin
 Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:22 pm
….and it continues, newly crowned #1 Purdue goes down at 4-4 Rutgers.
 #47637  by FurmanATT
 Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:46 am
Upsets invigorate sports. For the good of the game, whatever game, craziness is a plus, particularly when you're a fan of a team that, by resources and public renown, that is unknown or discounted by the game's royalty.
I guess half the SoCon, at least, has knocked off someone in that alleged royalty.
As a Furman grad, I've seen many upsets, and knocking off a big school is worth at least 10 losses in terms of memory and pride. It's planted a general love of the underdog in me. Most of the times, when I'm watching a game and don't have a natural affinity (or dislike) for either team, I always root for the underdog. When the possibility subsides, I look for a surprise elsewhere on my program guide.
Part of this owes to my profession. I often say that fans root for teams and writers root for stories.
Fans of one team are demanding of it, perhaps in part because they have a personal investment. I'm not immune to that sentiment where the Paladins are concerned, but as a writer, I want Furman to win but I also want something to write about.
Mostly I've watched Furman on TV so far. Caleb Gilbert has been at most games. He went to Winthrop last week and he's going to Chapel Hill. More of my time is spent chained to the desk and heading out nearby to write about Laurens County (LaurensCountySports.com) high schools and Presbyterian College.
On Friday, we took special interest in the Appalachian State game. I was there to write a column. Caleb was there, and we also had Jamal Session to give video highlights a try. In order for me to be there, a new stringer covered the high school rivalry of Clinton playing Laurens, and it's the second time recently in which I erred in sending someone to a job without enough experience to handle it. I thought I had prepared him adequately for it. I was wrong. Young people have a tendency to say "yeah, yeah, yeah, I got it" and they don't yet know enough to know they don't.
That's a stereotype that doesn't apply to Caleb. We're remarkably attuned to each other's skills, strengths and weaknesses. We intuitively react to each other. As a 2-man team, we run a motion offense with a goal to make the rest of the team get it.
Our pairing, fraught with fortuitous coincidence, is so good it will really be a shame if we can't ultimately make it work.
Cuz, like, it's a ballgame, too. It's a season, too. Caleb's tryna make me hip, and Ima tryna make him wise. As you can see, he has amended the private vernacular. Aight? Bet.
I enjoyed myself immensely at Timmons Arena. I knew Dustin Kerns from his two years as head coach at PC. I'm as impressed with Bob Richey up close as I have always been from afar. It's a pleasure to talk to the young athletes at Furman. The most enjoyable work experience of the school year to date was the interviews with Devin Wynn and Jace Wilson at Wofford. Part of that is that they're smart, articulate and confident. It can be tough prying words out of high school kids. That's part of lifelong experience, though, and I'm occasionally good at it.
I try to use my experience, but part of that experience is understanding its limitations. I can't possibly know as much about a team as the coaches who work with the athletes every day, and I try to keep that perspective without using it as a rationalization for not writing what needs to be written.
I hope FurmanATT.com can grow to the point where we can staff every game, not just the ones that we can afford or spare the travel time. We'll be out trying to sell some additional ads soon, but it's taken lots of time getting our website up to the standards we want for it. We're sort of doing it all with mirrors right now, and it's a tough job to remain focused on a blur.
-- MD
Roundball, dornb liked this
 #47644  by apaladin
 Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:17 pm
The number 6 team in the country scored 36 points today. THIRTY-SIX. CCU beats SC by 24 and barely survives WC by 1 with 2 free throws with one second left.
 #47649  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:47 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:17 pm
The number 6 team in the country scored 36 points today. THIRTY-SIX. CCU beats SC by 24 and barely survives WC by 1 with 2 free throws with one second left.
Yep woffy was flopping all game, Larson their king flopper flopped with 1 second left and got called rightfully for a foul, serves the kid right, his flopping ruins the game of basketball

Also have you guys noticed how bad little woffy's attendance has been this season, we are out drawing them by alot, just as it should be!
apaladin liked this
 #47947  by Flagman
 Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:35 pm
As long as they have 5 players, the game should be played. If not, forfeit.
apaladin liked this
 #47998  by apaladin
 Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:04 pm
The craziness continues tonight. #9 Villanova loses by 20. Previously ranked St. Bonaventure loses by 37.

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.