• DEFENSE OR LACK THERE OF

#47477  by apaladin
 Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:56 am
I don’t even want to think about next year but since you brought it up. Bothwell and/or Slawson can come back but if they don’t we will not be very good. Think about it Hein and Foster will be our best returning players. Hopefully Bothwell and Slawson come back but if not it might be time to delve into the evil portal. If they don’t come back it will be a rebuilding process and would CBR leave knowing whats ahead of him?
 #47479  by Davemeister
 Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:28 am
purplehorse wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:26 am
Against Navy layup, layup , layup. Ditto last night. Both losses. We need to get it fixed before Dec 29 when we play Samford.

Navy wrote the book on how to beat Furman and everybody's reading it. "Go inside, the door's wide open."
apaladin, bj93 liked this
 #47481  by jesse174
 Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:55 am
play more zone will help and tighten up defense...make that the priority from the start of the game...play pegues and anderson more..play more players as playing good defense is hard work
apaladin liked this
 #47486  by FurmAlum
 Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:17 pm
Before everyone throws in the towel on this team I would like to point out a few things:

1. We have played 5 out of 9 games on the road. 4 against quality opponents.
2. Of our 4 home games, 3 were quality opponents.
3. And it doesn't get any easier.

With a schedule like that there are going to be some losses. We are playing 4 guards a lot of the time. Yes, our defense last night was not very good, but Garrison and Foster, and sometimes Bothwell are usually guarding much bigger players, some as agile as they are. Teams that can drive it to the hoop are starting to have some success.

That game last night could have gone the other way, too. Winthrop hit more 3's last night than they usually do and that was the difference. We were sloughing off on the drivers and leaving the 3 point shooters open. And yes, gave up too many lay-ups.

The zone idea could be good. The 1-3-1 that we do occasionally seems to be fairly effective. But zones are vulnerable to 3 point shots and poor rebounding.

I think the development of either Hien, Williams, and/or Repass as a low post defender is going to be the key to success the rest of the season.

I still think we are a good team and will do well in the SoCon, but we will not win every game. We are 1 player away from a really good team.

The team that can improve the most from now till March will be the NCAA Rep. And I think the SoCon should be a 2 bid league, but that's a discussion that deserves it's own thread.
FU3, apaladin liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.