• End of the season/How to come in 1st

#36756  by Fork457
 Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:19 pm
While it will be tough, I don’t think it is too unlikely for us to come in first without making the two games up. We obviously need to win out which we are very capable of doing in these five games. UNCG then has to play a scalding hot Chattanooga team plus ETSU who beat them in the first meeting. VMI has also proven to not be a gimme game anymore by any stretch, plus add in the slim chance they drop one of the two western Carolina games. However it wouldn’t be too catastrophic to come in 2nd if the conference tournament is being played which brings me to my next thoughts about the end of this season.

If for some reason the conference tournament is canceled than we most definitely will make up the Samford and Chattanooga games which at that point I actually somewhat like our chances. Again it is two more games we need to win but we only need to gain back one game on UNCG. I will be quite surprised if they go 5-0 to finish. If they do drop one game we pretty much control our own fate and winning out would almost certainty put us in 1st. We’d both be 14-4 and split our games against each other. The tie break then goes to the team with the best record against the 3rd place team. If ETSU OR Chattanooga can beat UNCG they will almost for sure be the 3rd place team. UNCG would be 1-1 against Chat while we will be 2-0. UNCG would be 0-2 against ETSU and we split with them. If we have the same record against the 3rd place team it goes to 4th and then so on which again, if they drop just one would put us in 1st and into the tournament.

Sorry if this is getting too ahead of myself, I just can’t stand the thought of the tournament not happening, and taking away our chance. But if it does, we certainly wouldn’t be drawing dead. Gotta finish strong!
apaladin, DoomedDin1127 liked this
 #36759  by apaladin
 Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:33 pm
Good job Fork457. You forgot about our old nemesis WC. They could finish 2-5 also.
Lots of key games Wednesday:
Samford at Furman
UNCG at VMI
Citadel at WC
Mercer at ETSU
 #36760  by Fork457
 Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:53 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:33 pm
Good job Fork457. You forgot about our old nemesis WC. They could finish 2-5 also.
Lots of key games Wednesday:
Samford at Furman
UNCG at VMI
Citadel at WC
Mercer at ETSU
You’re right but in the scenario of the conference tournament getting cancelled we would almost certainly need to win out to have any chance to come In first anyway. Obviously not saying it’s a given or easy at all by any means, especially against Wofford. Was just pointing out that worst case scenario we could still get in by winning out and UNCG dropping one against VMI, ETSU, OR CHAT. Wofford could still even come in 3rd place at that point but both us and UNCG would be 1-1 against them so the same logic applies and the tiebreak would go to ETSU or Chat which would put us in first in either scenario.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.