• Contract Extension for CBR

#31529  by fufanatic
 Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:55 am
Finally, some good news on this board. A great sign that maybe the world isn't ending and that Furman is prepared to support collegiate athletics. Would be fascinated to see the contract. Would have to think there are incentives if the Paladins win the SoCon, win NCAA tourney games, make a Sweet 16, etc. Also, how big is the buyout if a bigger school comes calling?

Absolutely can not wait for the season to get going.
Fuonetime, GOAT, AstroDin liked this
 #31540  by Paul C
 Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:56 am
This is fantastic news. I have unofficially heard that CBR and his staff are now at or among the highest paid in the SoCon....a big investment by the Univ in athletics, in addition to the fundraising effort that many of us participated in.
GOAT, QCGlue, Davemeister and 7 others liked this
 #31544  by furpop16
 Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:44 pm
I know this is welcome news. I know this is the right thing to do. And I know the cost of not doing this would be an unacceptable risk. But I also know the last time we secured a contract extension our beloved coach was gone within weeks. Anybody in the know able to comment on whether lessons-learned from that experience are reflected in CBR's extension?

Thank you to all who participated in making this happen. BIG thanks!
Fuonetime liked this
 #31567  by Fuonetime
 Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:26 am
Great move for Furman. BR is a unique coach and individual who has, can and will win at Furman. I am glad FU is making this investment in him. Thanks to ED, our AD and the FU individuals who helped make this possible. The immediate future is very bright. Go Paladins!
GOAT, din23, AstroDin and 3 others liked this
 #31572  by Paul C
 Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:45 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:44 pm
.....But I also know the last time we secured a contract extension our beloved coach was gone within weeks. Anybody in the know able to comment on whether lessons-learned from that experience are reflected in CBR's extension.....
I've had a few conversations with CBR that leads me to believe that when he DOES leave FU, I am confident that it will be an opportunity that is clearly several levels above FU both from a prestige, competition and compensation level....
FUKA61, FUBeAR, furpop16 and 2 others liked this
 #31590  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:17 pm
Fuonetime wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:49 pm
in other words, he won't leave us for drake!
...ya never know
 #31595  by youwouldno
 Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:19 pm
Great that Richey was extended . . . maybe not so great that he had to flirt with a lateral move (JMU) first, or that it took a lot of donor support to realize. Richey is an asset to the University . . . the University should have been more eager to invest in him. Hopefully this is enough to keep him around another 2-3 years.