• D-2 misconceptions

#26785  by dinhead
 Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:55 am
D-1 teams do not play D-2 teams in real games. Most won't even play the top D-2 teams in exhibitions because they're afraid of losing.
Therefore comparing D-1 to D-2 in computer basketball rankings is totally bogus since there's no connections between the two divisions. It's like comparing FBS to FCS football and not counting the games between them.
After Queens University beat NCAA tournament team VCU and nearly beat Wake Forest the following year in exhibitions they had no takers this year. Not even for an exhibition.
However, NW Missouri St. did go into Cameron to play Duke and lost 69-63.
Valdosta St. lost to Georgia 93-81 after leading most of the first half.
If we "have to play" non D-1's why not play Queens University, Lincoln Memorial, Valdosta St. or UNC-Pembroke all top 10 D-2 programs in the southeast that would love to get a piece of us and would be more than happy to come to Timmons.
 #26787  by Affirm
 Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:59 am
dinhead wrote:
D-1 teams do not play D-2 teams in real games. Most won't even play the top D-2 teams in exhibitions because they're afraid of losing.
Therefore comparing D-1 to D-2 in computer basketball rankings is totally bogus since there's no connections between the two divisions. It's like comparing FBS to FCS football and not counting the games between them.
After Queens University beat NCAA tournament team VCU and nearly beat Wake Forest the following year in exhibitions they had no takers this year. Not even for an exhibition.
If we "have to play" non D-1's why not play Queens University, Lincoln Memorial, Valdosta St. or UNC-Pembroke all top 10 D-2 programs in the southeast that would love to get a piece of us and would be more than happy to come to Timmons.
Prefer to win
 #26791  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:05 am
dinhead wrote:

Southern Wesleyan is D2, we played them and smoked them by 22 points, the D2 teams are the ones that choose to count those games as exhibition in most cases. Southern Wesleyan went on to go 20-11 in D-2
https://furmanpaladins.com/sports/mens- ... score/6271
https://swuathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2019-20/schedule
Regardless, what's the big point, we gain nothing, only risk.
We are already getting screwed over by the Big Boys in D1 being scared to play us (Clemson, USC and most anyone else) why would we turn around and shoot ourselves in the foot on the other end of the spectrum as well, would be unwise and pointless.
 #26819  by Furmanoid
 Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:10 pm
Wow, a few weeks ago everybody was calling me an idiot for thinking any DII team could come within 20 of Furman.
 #26820  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:54 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:10 pm
Wow, a few weeks ago everybody was calling me an idiot for thinking any DII team could come within 20 of Furman.
We called you an idiot because you said Furman's talent was like a mediocre DII team

Which does in fact make you an idiot

And you have not been back since then until now, which also makes you look like a Woffy fan trying to stir the pot, but Woffy does not really have many fans so maybe you're not that :lol:
 #26822  by Furmanoid
 Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:04 pm
I think I said they look like a somewhat above average DII team because they aren’t very big, they aren’t very deep and their shooting isn’t spectacular. I started to say they looked like a top level DII, but I’m honestly not sure how we would do against somebody like Queens. And it now sounds like nobody is too sure about that. I may have exaggerated a tad, but if you can’t exaggerate in a forum like this, where the Hell can you?

My point at the time was that our program is doing incredibly well considering how we’ve recruited up to now which means the future upside is way up there.

But I’m an idiot because I don’t think we’re already just awesome as S@&$. Not good enough to beat F@&$ing Wofford College, but AWESOME. Whose the idiot here? Look man, if we have to even worry about beating Wofford, we need to get a ton better. Raise your expectations.
 #26823  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:35 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:04 pm
I think I said they look like a somewhat above average DII team because they aren’t very big, they aren’t very deep and their shooting isn’t spectacular. I started to say they looked like a top level DII, but I’m honestly not sure how we would do against somebody like Queens. And it now sounds like nobody is too sure about that. I may have exaggerated a tad, but if you can’t exaggerate in a forum like this, where the Hell can you?

My point at the time was that our program is doing incredibly well considering how we’ve recruited up to now which means the future upside is way up there.

But I’m an idiot because I don’t think we’re already just awesome as S@&$. Not good enough to beat F@&$ing Wofford College, but AWESOME. Whose the idiot here? Look man, if we have to even worry about beating Wofford, we need to get a ton better. Raise your expectations.

All good man

Our expectations do keep going up every year indeed, but we are in fact already a pretty good DI program rated top 85 or better by every index out of over 350 DI teams, hopefully soon to be a great program, no need to bring DII basketball into the conversation of where Furman hoops currently stands, its not relevant

Recent Topics

User avatar What just happened?

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:49 pm

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:48 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.