• NBA suspends the season

#26629  by tim
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:36 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:22 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:08 pm
I sort of understand your concern but your parents are going to come into contact with lots of people much more likely to be infected than college athletes. And shutting everything down for a few weeks isn’t likely to nip any buds. They need to shut down for months to do any good.

Some of us just have different perspectives. A couple of years ago if I had been told that my 18 year old was looking at a 20 or 30 % mortality rate, I would have been over the moon. So I just can’t get worked up about this virus. But today it appears we have decided to destroy our economy and potentially plunge millions into poverty to show our concern. What would our pioneer ancestors think of us?

Pioneer ancestors? Wtf are you talking about?

I don’t care about the economy. I care about my health and well being for myself and all those around me.

Over 10% mortality for those over 60 with health issues such as diabetes and COPD.

It’s not affecting me. It’s affecting people I love.

Sadly we shouldn’t be in poverty over a health issue. We shouldn’t look at this as an economic issue. Children will be without food if we close public schools. And that is an issue so beyond this virus it is awful.

But yes, basketball for Furman is more important.
You do understand that had the game not been canceled, attendance by your parents would be optional, right?
 #26630  by JohnKX512
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:44 pm
tim wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:36 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:22 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:08 pm
I sort of understand your concern but your parents are going to come into contact with lots of people much more likely to be infected than college athletes. And shutting everything down for a few weeks isn’t likely to nip any buds. They need to shut down for months to do any good.

Some of us just have different perspectives. A couple of years ago if I had been told that my 18 year old was looking at a 20 or 30 % mortality rate, I would have been over the moon. So I just can’t get worked up about this virus. But today it appears we have decided to destroy our economy and potentially plunge millions into poverty to show our concern. What would our pioneer ancestors think of us?

Pioneer ancestors? Wtf are you talking about?

I don’t care about the economy. I care about my health and well being for myself and all those around me.

Over 10% mortality for those over 60 with health issues such as diabetes and COPD.

It’s not affecting me. It’s affecting people I love.

Sadly we shouldn’t be in poverty over a health issue. We shouldn’t look at this as an economic issue. Children will be without food if we close public schools. And that is an issue so beyond this virus it is awful.

But yes, basketball for Furman is more important.
You do understand that had the game not been canceled, attendance by your parents would be optional, right?
You do understand how a virus spreads? Right?

They may not go to the game. But someone at the supermarket did. Someone that came in contact makes contact.

The games don’t matter. Our well being matters.

These threads will be moved. Oh well.
Roundball, Affirm liked this
 #26631  by Furmanoid
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:48 pm
But we are cancelling games with NO FANS. Just 30 players, refs and announcers. How would those games kill your parents? My point about ancestors was this. With your mindset nobody would ever have settled America. Nobody would have fought the Indians or the British. Nobody would have crossed the Rockies. We certainly wouldn’t have fought the Nazis. The people who did those things look down now at a nation afraid to watch basketball on tv.
 #26632  by cavedweller2
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:52 pm
Prior to postponing the schedule the NBA had banned the post game handshake. After 48 minutes of sweat, breath and coughs they didn’t want player shaking hands. Explain that thinking to me.
Roundball, Affirm, QCGlue liked this
 #26633  by Roundball
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:53 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
But we are cancelling games with NO FANS. Just 30 players, refs and announcers. How would those games kill your parents? My point about ancestors was this. With your mindset nobody would ever have settled America. Nobody would have fought the Indians or the British. Nobody would have crossed the Rockies. We certainly wouldn’t have fought the Nazis. The people who did those things look down now at a nation afraid to watch basketball on tv.
How? Think about the two NBA players and who they came in contact with. Think about the CAA referee and who he came in contact with. Think about the health of those 30 players, refs and announcers. This is about life and death, not about basketball. Perspective my friend.
Affirm liked this
 #26634  by JohnKX512
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:01 pm
Furmanoid wrote:

Wait wait wait. You do realize that European occupation of America (small pox) mostly killed a majority of natives? Dude. What is your argument? You literally proved why virus spreads.
Affirm liked this
 #26635  by FurmAlum
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:35 pm
A few observations.

JohnKX512. You're gonna wet your pants if you don't watch out.

I decided I didn't want to worry about the CVirus today so I took off work and played 18 holes.

Regarding a post from another thread about all the children starving because the schools were canceled. It's not the public school's responsibility to feed children. It's the parent's responsibility. If parent's can't afford to feed children, then they shouldn't have children. I can understand one "oops", but not 4-5.

I'm taking reasonable precautions. But I'm still going to work, golf, church, and out to eat. Shutting down everything is not reasonable.

Worst invention of the 21st century? FACEBOOK

And I'm going to buy $100,000 worth of dividend paying stocks in about 10 days.

Back to sports. And I agree that sports are sometimes made too important, but I feel bad for our Paladins that they can't play in the NIT, and especially for Jordan Lyons, who has given us so much.
 #26637  by JohnKX512
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:01 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
A few observations.

I decided I didn't want to worry about the CVirus today so I took off work and played 18 holes.

Regarding a post from another thread about all the children starving because the schools were canceled. It's not the public school's responsibility to feed children. It's the parent's responsibility. If parent's can't afford to feed children, then they shouldn't have children. I can understand one "oops", but not 4-5.

I'm taking reasonable precautions. But I'm still going to work, golf, church, and out to eat. Shutting down everything is not reasonable.

Back to sports. And I agree that sports are sometimes made too important, but I feel bad for our Paladins that they can't play in the NIT, and especially for Jordan Lyons, who has given us so much.
Must be nice to play golf, buy stocks, and not live per pay check.

YOU are doing great!
Affirm, fufanatic, apaladin liked this
 #26638  by fufanatic
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:28 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
A few observations.

The irony of one paragraph saying too bad to starving children and the next saying you’re still going to church. When God created you, he must have left out even an ounce of human empathy.
 #26644  by Affirm
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:44 pm
After the Citadel game on 2/29/2020, it was wonderful that Jordan Lyons was greeting all kinds of fans, including me. Jordan was accepting thanks and admiration, and Jordan was giving major thanks for all his fans, young and old, men and women and children, who stopped by to greet him. The rest of the team and staff had apparently all gone on to the locker room.
It was amazing. I am so glad he did that. I remember what I told him in that moment. At the time, after I said it and left him so he could speak to the next fan, I thought it had been a stupid thing for me to say: after thanking him and saying how much I enjoyed seeing him play, I said "Good things are ahead for you. We don't know what is going to happen, but I know that good things are going to happen for you!" My thought was, certainly without saying it, we may or may not win the SoCon tournament, and we may or may not get into the NCAA, etc. This was February 29, way before all these events started getting cancelled. So it's still absolutely true that good things are ahead for Jordan.
I and many others certainly came in very close physical contact. I just shook hands with him, but he was getting and giving many hugs. COVID-19 could easily have been spread among people in that situation.
There is a point being made in the 2 sentences immediately above, but I want to end by saying that a sub-point is what a fantastic and appreciative and fine human being Jordan Lyons is, and how very thankful that I had that experience.
fufanatic liked this
 #26647  by cavedweller2
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:49 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:01 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
A few observations.

Must be nice to play golf, buy stocks, and not live per pay check.

YOU are doing great!

It is.
 #26650  by FurmAlum
 Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:29 pm
I need to clarify what fufan responded to. I didn't mean to imply that children that aren't getting enough to eat should not be helped. I just don't think it's the public school's responsibility. Churches do a lot of that stuff. In fact all the churches here co-ordinate a program where homeless people have a place to sleep every night.

Everything has not always been rosy in my life either. I have survived cancer and then shortly after, the loss of a job while my kids were teenagers. Old Chinese proverb "get knocked down 7 times, get up 8 times!"

I am going to try to stick to sports from now on and not rant about something like that again.
 #26657  by MNORM
 Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:25 am
FurmAlum wrote:
A few observations.

I take it you're not signing up to be a foster parent anytime soon.

If you truly feel that most kids on free school lunch are a product of these circumstances you're living in your own self-created bubble. You blame Facebook...I blame self-absorbed narcissists. Not saying you are one...but that kind of attitude goes against everything I was taught by my parents, pastors, mentors, etc. But you do you.
Roundball liked this
 #26659  by MNORM
 Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:37 am
MNORM wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:
A few observations.

If you truly feel that most kids on free school lunch are a product of these circumstances you're living in your own self-created bubble. You blame Facebook...I blame self-absorbed narcissists. Not saying you are one...but that kind of attitude goes against everything I was taught by my parents, pastors, mentors, etc. But you do you.
Oh...this thread is about the NBA.
I bought two center-court 7th or 8th row tickets for tonight's Cavs-Hornets game from a fellow Furman fan. It was one of my almost 12 year old son's Christmas presents. I had to tell him Wednesday night that we weren't going to be able to go. He was visibly disappointed as he's (unfortunately because of me) a big Cleveland sports fan. He also NEVER misses a Furman football or basketball game. After fighting back his emotions, he looked at me and said "well...it's probably what's best for everyone in the long-run". I'm proud of my son for having the empathy, maturity and compassion to realize that it isn't always about ME.
Roundball, bj93, dornb liked this
 #26660  by fufanatic
 Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:48 am
MNORM wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:37 am
MNORM wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:
A few observations.

Oh...this thread is about the NBA.
I bought two center-court 7th or 8th row tickets for tonight's Cavs-Hornets game from a fellow Furman fan. It was one of my almost 12 year old son's Christmas presents. I had to tell him Wednesday night that we weren't going to be able to go. He was visibly disappointed as he's (unfortunately because of me) a big Cleveland sports fan. He also NEVER misses a Furman football or basketball game. After fighting back his emotions, he looked at me and said "well...it's probably what's best for everyone in the long-run". I'm proud of my son for having the empathy, maturity and compassion to realize that it isn't always about ME.
Hopefully you’ll get to use those tickets sooner rather than later!
MNORM liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar What just happened?

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by RoanokeGreensboro80

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:36 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.