• Upcoming Tourney Thoughts

#26067  by purplehorse
 Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:11 pm
Random thoughts:

I honestly do not remember a So Conf Tourney where it seemed like there were so many tough teams.

3 top tier teams who could not only win the tourney but win an NCAA game.

3 middle teams (UTC, Western and Mercer)-teams no one wants to play. Any of them could absolutely win it all.

Any of the bottom 3 teams (Citadel is # 10) could win a big game on a given night. In fact Wofford could absolutely get hot and win it all, even though a long shot for sure.

I think we are a better team than Wofford and will beat them if we shoot pretty well. If the lid is on the basket and Wofford shoots lights out, they could beat us.

ETSU and UTC going in on extremely high notes, Furman somewhat high, UNCG low and Wofford very low. Western should be encouraged and hopefully build on the tough loss to ETSU.

Should be a great tourney. No doubt we can win it all if we bring our “A” game.

Hopefully Paladin nation will travel well. The 6 PM game (vs. 8:30) should help.

Our potential games are at 6, 6:30 and 7.

ETSU at noon, 4 and 7.

Maybe that consistency will help us in some way?

I do not think the “7 horses only” will hurt us UNLESS we get in foul trouble.
 #26069  by Paul C
 Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:15 pm
Agree with all that except the part about Citadel winning a game. They are horrid.
 #26070  by purplehorse
 Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:52 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:15 pm
Agree with all that except the part about Citadel winning a game. They are horrid.
I agree with you 100 % which is why my only comment about Citadel was that they were # 10 PERIOD. A clarity issue on my part! 😁

I grouped the teams into top 3, tough middle 3, and bottom 3 (7-9) and Citadel as # 10. But a Citadel surprise the first round would be nice.
 #26073  by furpop16
 Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:55 am
purplehorse wrote:
...ETSU and UTC going in on extremely high notes, Furman somewhat high ...

I don't know that I would agree with your ETSU assessment. At best the Bucs have been inconsistent since they played us, having bested Samford and Wofford each by 6 and by only 1-point in yesterday's squeaker over WCU. The Samford game was back & forth all the way and they only scored 19 first-half points in their Wofford win, a season low.

True, ETSU knows how to come back, but that's a far cry from going into Asheville on an "extremely high note" as you say. They'll be spending this week trying to correct weaknesses exposed by WCU, while Furman is playing its best ball of the year.
QCGlue liked this
 #26075  by purplehorse
 Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:59 am
furpop16 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:55 am
purplehorse wrote:
...ETSU and UTC going in on extremely high notes, Furman somewhat high ...

I don't know that I would agree with your ETSU assessment. At best the Bucs have been inconsistent since they played us, having bested Samford and Wofford each by 6 and by only 1-point in yesterday's squeaker over WCU. The Samford game was back & forth all the way and they only scored 19 first-half points in their Wofford win, a season low.

True, ETSU knows how to come back, but that's a far cry from going into Asheville on an "extremely high note" as you say. They'll be spending this week trying to correct weaknesses exposed by WCU, while Furman is playing its best ball of the year.
I agree completely. Sammy was beating ETSU 65-61 with less than 10 minutes left. Wofford was up by 14 in second half. Even VMI (4 days before we played ETSU) was up with about two minutes left. And Western should have beaten ETSU. So I agree they have been shaky and had to have Good score 17 points in last 4 minutes to win (and by himself outscore Western 24-19 in the last 7 minutes).

The “ extremely high note” refers to pulling out what many ETSU fans believe was the most amazing win they have ever seen by ETSU, a real emotional high, winning the conference outright, increasing their at-large bid credentials etc. ETSU truly pulled out a victory from the jaws of defeat.

I agree with your assessment.
furpop16 liked this
 #26104  by Paul C
 Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:52 pm
Outside of ETSU, Mercer is tied w FU and UNCG over last 14 games....

Furman 11-3
Mercer 11-3
UNCG 11-3
 #26106  by Roundball
 Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:08 am
I purchased 2 All Session GA Book Tickets through Furman. Can’t make to the afternoon Saturday session, for the games that began at noon and 2:30. If you know anyone that wants to purchase this session for $15.00 each, pm me.
 #26112  by purplehorse
 Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:20 pm
Paul C wrote:

Furman 11-3
Mercer 11-3
UNCG 11-3
What does “outside of ETSU” mean?
 #26113  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:46 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:20 pm
Paul C wrote:

Furman 11-3
Mercer 11-3
UNCG 11-3
What does “outside of ETSU” mean?
Because ETSU is 13-1 in their last 14 games
 #26190  by Roundball
 Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:10 am
If you get a chance, go on Twitter and thank Ingles Markets for its continuing support of the SoCon.

Recent Topics

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:11 pm

User avatar What just happened?

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:49 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.