• Proposed Transfer Waiver Rule

#25599  by tim
 Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:16 pm
I've always assumed that academics mean more to the typical Furman athlete and would stop some transfers, but if the Richmond coach is concerned, I guess we should be too. The way the rules are changing, it would make a school rethink all the redshirting and trying to actually develop athletes. This continued rule tinkering will ruin the game and make it look like minor league baseball.
 #25600  by cavedweller2
 Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:51 pm
I vote no on this.
 #25604  by apaladin
 Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:11 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:00 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
I vote no on this.
I join the no vote, but it's apparently just a formality before this passes.
Yep the big boys are behind it so take it to the bank.
 #25608  by FurmAlum
 Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:51 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:11 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:00 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
I vote no on this.
I join the no vote, but it's apparently just a formality before this passes.
Yep the big boys are behind it so take it to the bank.
That's one more nail in the coffin for college basketball as we know it. If a player can transfer anytime and not have to sit, it's going to be open season for getting players to switch teams. This will be a Chinese fire drill. I have quit watching the Duke's, Kentucky's because of the one and done. Heck I couldn't name you one player on either of those teams cause the players are only there for 1 year. There's no loyalty anymore at that level. What I like about rooting for the Paladin's is the players stay 4 years. You can actually get to know them.

P.S. Speaking of one and done, Coach K has got to be the most overrated coach in BB. He couldn't even make it to the Sweet 16 last year with 3 NBA players in his starting 5. Glad to see they got their a** kicked last night at NC State.
fufanatic, Affirm, Chuckles and 1 others liked this
 #25610  by edwards555
 Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:42 pm
There was an article the other day in The Athletic that concluded there may not be enough scholarship spots available for those wishing to transfer and that many would be going down and not up in regards to Power5 etc. I have not heard about any increase in a schools number of scholarships to go along with this. So from a players standpoint be careful what you wish for.
 #25612  by apaladin
 Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:49 pm
edwards555 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:42 pm
There was an article the other day in The Athletic that concluded there may not be enough scholarship spots available for those wishing to transfer and that many would be going down and not up in regards to Power5 etc. I have not heard about any increase in a schools number of scholarships to go along with this. So from a players standpoint be careful what you wish for.
Very good point. It's not like everyone has 2 or 3 schollies laying around. Just have to wonder of schools will start taking away schollies from non impact players. If they do that would be a shame. One good thing is a player can only transfer once with this rule.
 #25628  by Paladin91
 Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:49 am
Given that we have avoided taking transfers, I don't see how this rule would help us. However, if there was an area of need that BR needed to plug in the same year, this could help. I imagine this would benefit someone like ETSU (which takes a lot more transfers) more on an annual basis. I guess I'm not so much worried about top programs raiding Furman's roster, as our talent level is a notch or two below.
 #25648  by tya1
 Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:33 pm
Between the grad transfers and the NCAA's greater rate of transfer exceptions there are a lot more players changing schools and playing immediately than there used to be.
Chattanooga has two transfers playing this year who were on different rosters last year. Bubba Parham transferred from VMI to Georgia Tech and is playing this year. North Carolina picked up touted transfers from Charleston Southern and William and Mary who have not helped them all that much.

If the NCAA is allowing all the grad transfers and giving more exceptions maybe they do need to allow everyone to do it. It has been hard to figure why they allowed some players to be eligible right away but not others.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:26 pm

Default Avatar What just happened?

by The Jackal

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:33 pm

User avatar What just happened?

by bj93

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:32 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.