• Humble Pie

#22223  by Jasper
 Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:47 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:07 pm
furpep wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:22 am
Live by the 3, and die by the 3. We died last night. I think we did the same against Alabama but I have to go back and look at the game stats.
I do grow weary of people describing our team this way—“live by the 3, die by the 3.” Mostly living! Won 7 games with our current style of play. If people don’t like it, they need to find a different coach!

If you are thinking we need a big guy in the post, to push people around and get rebounds, then you will be sorely disappointed. That’s not what we do. The big guys we do recruit, Beeker and the red shirt kid, have to be able to shoot, pass and run the floor.

I agree we need to take good shots. Some of our 3’s are not the best. Then again we also missed half a dozen lay ups in So Fla game. Mounce had two straight wide open 3’s and missed both. Absolutely great shots and ones the coach wants him to take.

We are at our best when we can go inside out. To Gurley who now often gets double teamed, who kicks it out to ANY of the other 4 players, who can then step into the 3 point shot. That’s our game. And it’s darn fun to watch!

Keep shooting Dins!
I agree with you, Charlie that the inside-out game is much more fun to watch than the old center dominated era. I remember it well when the Europeans used it to beat us in the Olympics. But there are threes and then there are threes. I don't like it when they are the first option coming into the forecourt. I find it offensive to see a kid come down on a fast break with a man advantage and he pulls up and takes a 3 pointer. In my time you would head immediately for the bench after doing that whether it went in or not. And I realize these kids are better shooters. However, a fast break layup is a higher percentage shot than a fast break 3 pointer by a lot; likely a double. I guess this is how some coaches want to play now and they are willing to put up with a terrible shooting night and a loss every now and then as a result. Its tough when that bad night comes in a big game though. What's a good 3 point shooting team hit these days? High 30's %? I don't think I'd want a guy who shoots under 40% taking many of them.
 #22225  by apaladin
 Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:00 pm
Paul C wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:24 pm
Jasper wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:01 pm
Last year's team had a lot of gaps left from graduation and that gave some true and redshirt freshman the chance to get some significant PT. I refer to Gurley, Slawson and Bothwell. All 3 are now core players.
We lose 1 player this year, Lyons. Bothwell slides into that spot.

no issues with depth as Lawrence adds depth at stretch 4 and Marcus Foster at the wing.

And Joe Anderson (the incoming PG) could earn significant minutes as a true Fr backing up Alex and keeping him fresh.

FWIW, next year is THE year, kids....
Paul, you are much more knowledgeable than me about the players so I have a question. You say Lawrence adds depth at stretch 4 and Foster at the wing. We are in desperate need of bench players now so why aren't they playing? If they are not good enough to play this year and help some why will they be next year? I think the reason Beeker is on the team is he is on an academic scholly and won't be here for a 5th year so no need to redshirt him. Correct?
 #22240  by Paul C
 Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:25 pm
Foster and Lawrence both have to add strength (although Foster has) but more importantly they both have high ceilings. In BRs opinion, it’s not worth wasting a year of eligibility for 5-8 min per game this year when we can have them fully grown, developed and experienced for an extra year. Also, Foster is only 17, graduated HS in three years, and a redshirt year takes some pressure off him off the court too. BR is playing the long game.

Think Clay Mounce. Aren’t we glad he’ll be back next year instead of having played 5 min per game in 2016? Same with Noah.

BR likes to say we are a development program. I think if it were practical he’d redshirt everyone and then slowly work them into the rotation over a couple years.

And yes correct on Beeker.
FUKA61 liked this
 #22244  by apaladin
 Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:54 pm
Thanks Paul C. I didn't realize Foster graduated early. Makes total sense to RS. What about the 2 early signees? Do you think they are red shirts are can either play immediately next year?
 #22245  by Paul C
 Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:59 pm
Again, just going on what I’ve heard, and it can all change when they show up, but the thinking is Joe Anderson will play right away behind Alex.

Hein is more of a wait and see. Think Clay Mounce with some post moves and a little better off the dribble. Maybe not quite as explosive. But a stretch 4 that can play the 3 as well. And can shoot.
 #22246  by Paul C
 Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:11 pm
Jasper wrote:
What’s a good 3 point shooting team hit these days? High 30's %? I don't think I'd want a guy who shoots under 40% taking many of them.
per Ken Pom, our team 3pt % so far this year (vs D1) is 33.3% and ranks 140/351 in all of D1. Not stellar but top half.

Jordan and Alex are both at 26% despite being in mid 30’s over their careers.

Clay is at 44%
Noah is at 45% (5 of 11)
Bothwell is 35%
Slawson is 33%
 #22248  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:31 pm
Paul C wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:11 pm
Jasper wrote:
What’s a good 3 point shooting team hit these days? High 30's %? I don't think I'd want a guy who shoots under 40% taking many of them.
per Ken Pom, our team 3pt % so far this year (vs D1) is 33.3% and ranks 140/351 in all of D1. Not stellar but top half.

Jordan and Alex are both at 26% despite being in mid 30’s over their careers.

Clay is at 44%
Noah is at 45% (5 of 11)
Bothwell is 35%
Slawson is 33%

Our starting guards are both 5'11, if they can't shoot better we have a problem, hope they turn it around
 #22258  by tya1
 Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:15 pm
We need to keep the movement going in our offense. When we did that last night we got layups and other quality shots. When we stand around (which happened late especially) we end up with forced shots from the perimeter. I don't know if fatigue played a part in that or not. We need more of a contribution from Slawson too. He had a strong start to the season but has faded lately.
 #22266  by MNORM
 Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:37 am
Paul C wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Last year's team had a lot of gaps left from graduation and that gave some true and redshirt freshman the chance to get some significant PT. I refer to Gurley, Slawson and Bothwell. All 3 are now core players.

no issues with depth as Lawrence adds depth at stretch 4 and Marcus Foster at the wing.

And Joe Anderson (the incoming PG) could earn significant minutes as a true Fr backing up Alex and keeping him fresh.

Don't overlook Colin Kenney...he can play the 1 and the 2.
 #22268  by CharlieFU
 Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:34 am
I think Foster (who has incredibly long arms/wing span) has already grown an inch and put on weight. He should grow some more.

One tidbit I heard from one of the coaches: They played a couple of scrimmages pre season. Both opposing coaches commented on how our players looked physically--they asked "what have you been doing?" Shows the significance of a strength coach, Matt Allred, who is exclusively for basketball. You can see the difference in several of them.
 #22269  by CharlieFU
 Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:42 am
tya1 wrote:
We need to keep the movement going in our offense. When we did that last night we got layups and other quality shots. When we stand around (which happened late especially) we end up with forced shots from the perimeter. I don't know if fatigue played a part in that or not. We need more of a contribution from Slawson too. He had a strong start to the season but has faded lately.
Our scoring droughts in the past have been directly related to poor spacing and ball movement. Early returns suggest our offensive movement is better this year, spacing better, etc. Longer 3 point line helps some. I do get frustrated when we dont make the extra pass and take what feels like a quick 3.

(How about first year coach Juwan Howard turning what was suppoed to be rebuilding year into a contender? Took it on the chn last night at Louisville; Chris Mack has them cooking with gas!)
Jasper liked this
 #22270  by Jasper
 Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:09 am
MNORM wrote:
Paul C wrote:
Jasper wrote:

From the little we've seen of Kenney, he looks like he is more comfortable at the 1 to me. He appears to have a passer's mentality. But that could just be freshman jitters and trying to blend into the system. Needs some PT.
 #22271  by Jasper
 Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:21 am
CharlieFU wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:42 am
tya1 wrote:
Our scoring droughts in the past have been directly related to poor spacing and ball movement. Early returns suggest our offensive movement is better this year, spacing better, etc. Longer 3 point line helps some. I do get frustrated when we dont make the extra pass and take what feels like a quick 3.

(How about first year coach Juwan Howard turning what was suppoed to be rebuilding year into a contender? Took it on the chn last night at Louisville; Chris Mack has them cooking with gas!)
In the first half against USF, our spacing was excellent. We were running picks off a high screen and got several easy baskets as result. The floor was wide open.
I am with you on the frustration of the quick 2 - especially when it is created off the dribble as a first option. Not many players do that nearly as well as when they take the open shot off a pass. The kid from Wofford was the exception.
 #22279  by MNORM
 Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:16 pm
Jasper wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:09 am
MNORM wrote:
Paul C wrote:
Jasper wrote:

From the little we've seen of Kenney, he looks like he is more comfortable at the 1 to me. He appears to have a passer's mentality. But that could just be freshman jitters and trying to blend into the system. Needs some PT.
He's 3 of 6 from behind the arc in 43 minutes...a lot of this is garbage time. IMHO he's one of the more fundamentally sound and physically ready Freshman we've had at guard in years. I agree that he looks more comfortable as a 1 who can shoot. Hope to see him get more PT in the next few weeks and possibly work his way into the backup 1 spot, allowing Bothwell to stay at the 2, where his ability to drive the lane is better served.
Jasper liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by AllTimeFU

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:20 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.