• If you had told me on Nov 1st

#22190  by Paul C
 Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:34 am
...that after 9 games Jordan Lyons would be shooting 15-57 (26.3%) and Alex Hunter 11-42 (26.2%) from three (vs D1) and asked me to guess our record I'd have gone with 4-5.

Instead we are 7-2 thanks to defense, Clay Mounce and different other guys stepping up. And Alex not turning it over and Jordan doing other things well, for the record.

But we all said in preseason "Jordan has to shoot well for this to be a good year" and he hasn't yet it's about as good a start to a season we've ever had, outside of last year. No losses to Presbyterian (like a few years ago....and that team went 14-4 in the SoCon).

Lyons is a career 33% shooter and Hunter a career 35% shooter. So if regression to the mean applies, that means this team has upside.
MNORM liked this
 #22191  by cavedweller2
 Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:37 am
Too much run and gun. As they called it on the Seinfeld basketball episode: They are "chucking".
Paladin575 liked this
 #22192  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:39 am
After Auburn we have 5 very winnable games, here's to hoping we can take care of business in those to set-up a nice showdown with ETSU in Timmons on Sat. Jan. 4th!
 #22259  by tya1
 Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:25 pm
If we shoot 35% plus from the three point arc we win both of the games we lost. This team is fully capable of hitting that percentage every night.

We missed about 7 or 8 layups last night that were contested, but if you get the ball on the backboard without it being blocked you should hit the shot. Make them block the shot - don't give it away. Got to be mentally tough.

We missed two shots on fast breaks by going for the big dunk instead of going up strong and protecting the ball.

Little mistakes mean a lot.
 #22267  by Jasper
 Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:54 am
Paul C wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:34 am
...that after 9 games Jordan Lyons would be shooting 15-57 (26.3%) and Alex Hunter 11-42 (26.2%) from three (vs D1) and asked me to guess our record I'd have gone with 4-5.

Instead we are 7-2 thanks to defense, Clay Mounce and different other guys stepping up. And Alex not turning it over and Jordan doing other things well, for the record.

But we all said in preseason "Jordan has to shoot well for this to be a good year" and he hasn't yet it's about as good a start to a season we've ever had, outside of last year. No losses to Presbyterian (like a few years ago....and that team went 14-4 in the SoCon).

Lyons is a career 33% shooter and Hunter a career 35% shooter. So if regression to the mean applies, that means this team has upside.
I am wondering if both our guards are not having some problem adjusting to the new 3 point line. The added distance effects smaller players more than the big guys. If that is the case, they both should be able to make the adjustment and get back to their historical averages.
Defense is the great equalizer in basketball. It's what enables you to win a game when you are having a bad shooting night. We defended the shots, passes and schemes against USF very well the other night but forgot to rebound at critical times. You are correct. Much of our 7-2 record is the result of a stifling defense.

Recent Topics

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by AllTimeFU

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:20 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.