• Schedule

#17376  by dinhead
 Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:49 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:29 am
PaladinPower wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:05 am
Not shocked about the situation at all. You knock off half of the Final Four from the year before and only lose 1 starter. Almost gave Witchita St. a run for their money, so of course no P6 teams want to come thru Timmons. Ideally, we pull a 2 for 1 with one of those schools like Wofford... Speaking of that team, no wonder they were able to schedule so many P6 games. Lost almost half their scoring, rebounding and their head coach. Before last season, the team was never outstanding so I can see why teams didn't mind scheduling them last season as well.
Could be wrong but I really don't think how good/bad you are has much to do with it. Yes WC seems to get more "good" away games but I think that may be more of a preferred way of scheduling. WC seems to want 5 good road games a year. FU seems to want no more than 3. FU wants more home games regardless if they are even an NCAA team or not. Everyone seems to be struggling to get games even bad teams like VMI and UTC.
WC- 13 OOC 6 home 7 away- 2 non D1 Great away schedule with Duke, UNC, Missouri, Butler, S Florida. D1 home games are GWU, W&M, High Point and NCCU. Certainly not a great home schedule.

VMI- 13 OOC 6 home 7 away 3 non D1 games Decent road games: VPI and ECU. D1 home games are Marist, PC and Stetson. VMI is bad and they can't get a good schedule.

UTC- 13 OOC 5 home 8 away, 2 non D1 games Good away games: FSU, VPI and Tennessee. D1 home games Tenn. St, Troy and South Ala. Evidence of schedule struggling is UTC is playing Troy home and home.

This just goes to show you how hard it is for SoCon teams to get home games.
It's hard for every team to get home games that's why the power 6 pay lots of money to play so many mid-majors at home. When you only schedule two "money games" you're not in a very good financial position to "buy" home games. Getting turned down by 80 teams for a home games suggests that we're probably either not offering them a home and home series or not paying them enough to come to Timmons.
 #17378  by dinhead
 Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:03 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:17 pm
That Columbia International U has 5 D1 games, all listed as exhibitions.
I guess playing an AAC (Appalachian Athletic Conference) team is as close as we'll get to playing the ACC.
They beat North Greenville last year so they won't even be the weakest team on the schedule.

Interesting that NCAA records can be set against lower subdivision teams that are only playing the game as an exhibition.
 #17380  by dinhead
 Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:43 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:12 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:18 pm
NAIA not NCCAA
Admittedly I don't know my conferences. I just went by the CIU release, where they appear to tout their "NCCAA Div 1" efforts more than their NAIA affiliation: https://www.ciurams.com/news/2019/9/7/m ... edule.aspx

The CIU fact-sheet cites both affiliations: https://www.ciurams.com/sports/2017/3/2 ... facts.aspx

As far as the FU non-conference schedule is concerned, is there any preferred pecking order below D1? D2, D3, NAIA, NCCAA? Or is that like we used to say in the Army "arguing rank between 1st & 2nd lieutenants is like arguing virtue among whores."
The strength of the divisions is generally determined by the maximum number of scholarships allowed.
1. D-1
2. D-2, NAIA D-1 : NAIA can be dangerous since they have lower academic standards than NCAA and have some NCAA D-1 talent that couldn't qualify academically. The top D-2 programs like Queens University are stronger than most mid-majors and some D-2 s are very large universities. However just like D-1 there's a large disparity between the top and bottom teams in the division.
3. D-3: Non scholarship. It's a very large division so the top teams are decent but most are just content to field a team.
4.NAIA D-2, NCCAA, Unaffiliated: Mostly small bible colleges. Intramural level basketball. Some schools are so small they can barely field a team.
furpop16, Affirm liked this
 #19357  by ivory_joe
 Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:46 pm
Is it just me, or is anyone else having a problem importing the schedules into their calendar? It gets to the point of selecting the calendar to link to the schedule, and won't go any farther.
 #19368  by Affirm
 Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:43 am
dinhead wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:03 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:17 pm
That Columbia International U has 5 D1 games, all listed as exhibitions.
I guess playing an AAC (Appalachian Athletic Conference) team is as close as we'll get to playing the ACC.
They beat North Greenville last year so they won't even be the weakest team on the schedule.

Interesting that NCAA records can be set against lower subdivision teams that are only playing the game as an exhibition.
Note:
Furman has an AAC game on 12/2 against another AAC.
We play USF, which is American Athletic Conference (AAC). AAC includes USF, UCF, SMU (succeeding in FB this year!), Houston, Memphis, Tulsa, Wichita State, ECU, Cincinnati, Temple, Tulane.
 #19370  by apaladin
 Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:40 am
It all starts one week from tonight. Still no season tickets here. Anyone?
 #19378  by MNORM
 Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:20 pm
apaladin wrote:
I printed my season tickets last week right off the website.
 #19379  by apaladin
 Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:55 pm
I didn't renew my season tix online. I'm old fashioned and called the ticket office. :D
 #19380  by gman
 Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:40 am
MNORM wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Including the tickets for the games at The Well?
 #19381  by MNORM
 Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:54 am
gman wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:40 am
MNORM wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Including the tickets for the games at The Well?
Yes, but the row and seat number are the same as Timmons. My guess is that these will be updated closer to game-time. At least I hope that's the case. I have center court seats at Timmons...I'd expect to have comparable seats at the Well.
FU03times liked this
 #21664  by furpop16
 Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:03 pm
BUMP
With 8 games in (6 D1), here's what the Usual Suspects currently say about our Strength of Schedule:

KenPom: 162 (Non Conference)
Massey: 151
Sagarin: 180
Given the difficulties expressed earlier in this thread, I'm thankful for the effort put into crafting a challenging schedule reflected in reasonably respectable ratings.

Now to be fair, ESPN BPI ranks our SoS at #300. But given the collective agreement above, I'd dismiss this as an outlier. Yes, I'm thankful.
FUKA61 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:29 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.