• Columbia International @ Furman (Nov. 22)

#21138  by tya1
 Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:45 pm
Really liked the aggressive, positive attitude the team played with tonight. They went out and grabbed control and never let go of the initiative. Good reaction to the loss at Alabama.

If we are going to stick with a short rotation this year, then a well played zone defense can come in handy.

Wish we had a bit more of that high percentage perimeter shooting a few nights ago.
 #21142  by Bootie
 Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:22 am
I don't recall seeing us trap the ball like we did tonight. It seemed to be effective at creating pressure and turnovers and I hope that keeps up. I've always wondered why teams don't do that more often.
 #21144  by Jasper
 Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:45 am
A game like this - where lots of people get a chance to play significant minutes - is good for a team from time to time. In this case, it showed that FU is much deeper than the tight 7 man rotation we have been playing. It looks like Beeker is already earning some more PT and the second guard unit of Pugh and Kenney looked very good. They both shoot the ball very well and have excellent court sense and ball handling skills. Being able to extend the rotation to 9 or 10 players could be very beneficial to the team over a long season.

I also think that Mike Bothwell is the most improved player on the team. He was extraordinary last night as both a scorer and distributor of the ball. He has looked very good in all games this year and I believe has the capacity to become a big star for the Paladins.
FUKA61, fufanatic, dornb liked this
 #21145  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:04 am
Jasper wrote:
A game like this - where lots of people get a chance to play significant minutes - is good for a team from time to time. In this case, it showed that FU is much deeper than the tight 7 man rotation we have been playing. It looks like Beeker is already earning some more PT and the second guard unit of Pugh and Kenney looked very good. They both shoot the ball very well and have excellent court sense and ball handling skills. Being able to extend the rotation to 9 or 10 players could be very beneficial to the team over a long season.

I also think that Mike Bothwell is the most improved player on the team. He was extraordinary last night as both a scorer and distributor of the ball. He has looked very good in all games this year and I believe has the capacity to become a big star for the Paladins.

Agree Bothwell is coming into his own, he is going to slide right into Lyons starting role next year nicely I think. This team next season will be a serious title contender yet again with Mounce, Gurley, Hunter, Slawson and Bothwell leading the way. Fun times ahead!
FUKA61, fufanatic, dornb liked this
 #21156  by CharlieFU
 Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:15 am
I can count on my two hands the times we have played a zone in the last 7 years. Almost never.

Then, this year we have seen it in several games. Important as an alternative when we get in foul trouble. More importantly when we use it like we did vs CIU with trapping and causing turnovers, it can be lethal! We are a better team with that flexibility on occasion. And when you put any of our 3 starters at 6-7 or more at top of the key, with their quickness, very effective.

The man to man is bread and butter. Zone is the jam.
furpop16 liked this
 #21157  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:18 am
Jasper wrote:

Really didn't see anything last night to think the current rotation will or should change. After the last starter left we scored 19 points the last 14:31 of the game. Before last night Beeker played a total of 3 mins. vs. Alabama and SWU. Love Mike Bothwell and he has improved but did play well especially at times last year. IMHO the the most improved has to be Jalen Slawson. He averaged under one point last year and is over 8 this year. We need both Bothwell and Slawson to continue to play well.
 #21171  by Jasper
 Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:15 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:18 am
Jasper wrote:

Really didn't see anything last night to think the current rotation will or should change. After the last starter left we scored 19 points the last 14:31 of the game. Before last night Beeker played a total of 3 mins. vs. Alabama and SWU. Love Mike Bothwell and he has improved but did play well especially at times last year. IMHO the the most improved has to be Jalen Slawson. He averaged under one point last year and is over 8 this year. We need both Bothwell and Slawson to continue to play well.
The fact that you did not "see" anything or agree with my opinions is irrelevant to me.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:29 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.