• 7/31/19 Practice

#15108  by CharlieFU
 Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:12 am
A good many came out to watch practice on Wed.

Foster was not playing but was doing some drills and light running. He will be back soon; you cannot miss him. He is the one with arms down to his knees.

Top 7 probably pretty set. Gurley, Mounce, Lyons and Hunter. Then, Clark, Slawson and Boswell. After that, who knows! All the freshmen look capable of playing some, but I am sure they want to red shirt one or two, if they possibly can. Looks like Gurley, Hunter, Clark and Slawson have made big strides.

Shout out to Tre Clark! Some good D, hit a couple of threes and some good moves with the ball, to the basket. his minutes tailed off last year, but I am guessnig he will find a spot. Never a big scorer, but deflections and defense will be key.

Beeker--they call him a "walk on" but do not be fooled. He has a little bulk on him, can step out and hit the 3. (He is on academic scholarship.)

As said before, if you see someone, guard, short hair, and cannot figure out who it is? It's Pugh.

Enjoyed reconnecting with my Furman classmate, Major General Chris Ballard, now retired and living in Greenville. I saw recently he had spoken to the team.

Shout out to Roger Thompson, Furman Class of 1952 and member of he basketball team. A friend picked him up and brought him to the practice. Great guy. supportive of the program. Long time chair of the committee that puts on the golf tournament.
 #15138  by AHB1188
 Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:40 pm
I can add a bit to yesterday's report with some observations from today.

I saw most of practice. They went through drills and scrimmaged.

This was my first time out. As people have noted, Beeker is strong. It's surprising that he was not more heavily recruited. I'm excited to see what he and Lawrence can do. I saw some good things out of both today.

Some of the veteran players were helping to get the freshmen up to speed. I was close to where the freshmen bigs were working during drills. They were getting a lot of advice from their older teammates. I was impressed by the leadership shown by the veterans.

As already noted by others, Pugh is playing well. Bothwell impressed when they scrimmaged. There were times that he dominated. Slawson also had some good moments. I'm impressed by his development since last season. Tre Clark also did some good things.

Overall, the team looks athletic and deep. Excited to see how they continue to improve.
FUKA61, furpop16, MNORM liked this