• 3 Point Line

#14048  by FUBeAR
 Fri May 10, 2019 11:14 pm
gman wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:14 pm
Looks like the 3 pointer is going to be a little more difficult. https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/177 ... l-standard
Hooray - the ncaa 3 point semi-gimme & 1-and-done’s had just about ruined college hoops for fans that care about watching fundamentally sound basketball...fans like FUBeAR
 #14049  by apaladin
 Fri May 10, 2019 11:27 pm
I am not sure that will help teams like FU. We shoot a lot of 3's now. How many games would we have won this past year with the tougher 3 point line?? I would say we would have won fewer games. The easier 3 point line is certainly an equalizer against superior teams.

Furman shot 36.1% for the season from 3 point land and averaged 10.1 made 3's a game.
Against Wichita St we shot 29.1% from 3 and made 8 3 pint shots.
Small sample size. Of course the other team will be shooting from the same distance but FU will be at a disadvantage in most cases if more shots are taken inside 15 feet.
 #14472  by tya1
 Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:23 pm
It is official - the three point line will be moved to 22'1 3/4", the international distance. It was 20'9" this season. The shot clock will be reset to 20 seconds instead of 30 seconds after an offensive rebound. Both rules were used in the NIT this year. Goaltending or basket interference calls in the last two minutes can be reviewed Also, coaches will be allowed to call time-outs from the bench in the last two minutes of the game.
FUBeAR, cavedweller2 liked this
 #14475  by Paul C
 Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:46 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:27 pm
I am not sure that will help teams like FU. We shoot a lot of 3's now. How many games would we have won this past year with the tougher 3 point line?? I would say we would have won fewer games. The easier 3 point line is certainly an equalizer against superior teams.
On one hand yes, I agree that teams like FU that shoot a lot of 3s will be disadvantaged, but OTOH it will create more spacing inside the arc that will help teams like FU that cut and move and pass well....AND have athletic face-the-basket bigs like Noah Gurley that can put the ball on the floor and shoot the 10 footer well.

Another step towards the international style...
furpop16, fufanatic liked this
 #14476  by NCPaladin22
 Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:21 pm
Overall, the percentages weren’t much different for the overall NIT. Our best shooter Lyons was 40% in the Wichita State game and Hunter was 1/3. Could’ve just been a bad shooting night for us with Brown 0/2, Mounce 2/7 and Gurley 1/4. I doubt the NCAA is doing this to reduce scoring with everything else that’s been implemented to increase scoring. Their thought may be to open up spacing which could increase scoring in some ways.
fufanatic liked this
 #14477  by fufanatic
 Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:37 pm
Plus we had a few days to prepare for the deeper 3-point line in the NIT as opposed to now when our guys will have 5 months to practice shooting from deep before the season starts. Any noticeable difference will probably also trickle to other teams too.
 #14481  by CharlieFU
 Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:37 pm
NCPaladin22 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:21 pm
Overall, the percentages weren’t much different for the overall NIT. Our best shooter Lyons was 40% in the Wichita State game and Hunter was 1/3. Could’ve just been a bad shooting night for us with Brown 0/2, Mounce 2/7 and Gurley 1/4. I doubt the NCAA is doing this to reduce scoring with everything else that’s been implemented to increase scoring. Their thought may be to open up spacing which could increase scoring in some ways.
Actually Mounce and Brown both had significantly higher shooting percentages from 3--both well over 40% on the season. Lyons is good though...ice in his veins. He wants the ball in the big moments.
 #14488  by PaladinPower
 Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:17 pm
Absolutely TINY sample size but Jaylon Pugh shot 48% on FG and 50% on his 10 three point attempts. I see him making some big shots next year. CBR even said on the podcast that he *might* be the best pure shooter on the team.
 #14489  by tya1
 Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:33 pm
FWIW, I saw a claim that NCAA D1 teams shot about 35% from behind the arc this year and teams in the NIT shot 33%.

I don't have a comparison of how the NIT contestants shot during the regular season. Most of the NIT teams were in the top 100 so I assume they shot better than D1 teams as a whole.