• New SoCon Commissioner Named

#14451  by fufanatic
 Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:31 am
On the surface looks like a great hire. Ohio is an elite MAC program and is a solid academic institution as well. Best of luck to him.
 #14454  by Affirm
 Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:50 am
fufanatic wrote:
On the surface looks like a great hire. Ohio is an elite MAC program and is a solid academic institution as well. Best of luck to him.
$281,000 was his base salary at Ohio, and he had perks and bonuses. One bonus he had was $5,000 for any team of the school winning conference championship.
I wonder how close to $280,000 per year our new AD will make.
Will our new AD make half that amount?
 #14456  by fufanatic
 Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:02 pm
affirm wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
$281,000 was his base salary at Ohio, and he had perks and bonuses. One bonus he had was $5,000 for any team of the school winning conference championship.
The 2017 Form 990, which is public and available on the Furman website with a simple google search, has our previous AD as the 6th-highest paid person at Furman, and he made more than the total you provided that the Ohio AD made. So I'm hopeful that that number wouldn't go down any. The only other coaches listed that year were our current football coach, our previous football coach and the men's lax coach. Certainly not getting our money's worth on the latter IMO. Wonder where men's hoops head coach salary is now? I hope it's right up there with football to be honest.

Edited to add that the 2009 form is also available, and the salary difference between then and now for AD and football coach is stunning, and helps show in part why we slipped so much in athletics towards end of Shi regime.
 #14457  by CharlieFU
 Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:56 pm
Interesting. I would not have thought SoCon commish would make that kind of money, assuming Ohio AD did not take a pay cut.
 #14460  by Paul C
 Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:20 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:02 pm
The 2017 Form 990, which is public and available on the Furman website with a simple google search,
Interesting to poke around on the Form 990 and compare with other institutions....for example, in 2017 we generated $3.7m in athletic dept revenues and Wofford generated $1.9m
fufanatic, furpop16 liked this
 #14473  by apaladin
 Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:32 pm
affirm wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Affirm, not just you but I don't really understand why some peeps are under the impression that FU pays it's athletic staff peanuts. I have no idea who makes what but I believe the athletic staff members are well paid. Not Clempson gaudy type money but paid well none the less. Probably not the best in the SoCon but not the worst either. Of course I could be wrong, :D
 #14474  by Affirm
 Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:51 am
I still have the impression or perhaps expectation that we (HAVE TO due to financial resources) pay proportionately less than bigger schools; and yes, Ohio University is a much bigger school. 34,000 students. Relatively robust and overall successful* program of intercollegiate athletics. FBS football. Still my guess is just a guess.
* “... unprecedented levels of success - in athletics and academics by the various teams [including FB and men’s basketball] - in the 11 years Jim Schaus was at Ohio University... “
 #14482  by CharlieFU
 Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:40 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:32 pm
affirm wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Affirm, not just you but I don't really understand why some peeps are under the impression that FU pays it's athletic staff peanuts. I have no idea who makes what but I believe the athletic staff members are well paid. Not Clempson gaudy type money but paid well none the less. Probably not the best in the SoCon but not the worst either. Of course I could be wrong, :D
We cannot settle this without someone's official help but i am guessnig we are on nthe lower end of socon in salaries. On the other hand, i was surprised at how little Wofford was paying Mike Young. I think we are MUCH more competitive in salaries since Jeff jackson era.
 #14486  by apaladin
 Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:39 am
When Citadel AD Jim Senter moved to UTEP in 2017 he was making $201,237 and was the highest paid employee at the Citadel. His new salary at UTEP was $281,000 or about the same as MB.
Affirm liked this
 #14487  by soconjohn
 Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:52 pm
The SoCon made an excellent hire here...This guy was on the NCAA selection committee! Not to mention he is smart, nice and is much more candid to media and fans than previous administrators.
dornb and 1 others liked this
 #14490  by Jasper
 Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:53 am
I hear from a very reliable source that Furman is getting a great many applications for the vacant AD job from very qualified candidates. These folks are well aware of the salary parameters for the position so I assume FU must be at least competitive in that regard. I am certain that this administration will handle the search process professionally and come up with a fine choice for a new AD.
FUKA61 and 1 others liked this