• SoCon Meetings

#14440  by fufanatic
 Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:34 pm
Not sure where to put this, but a few interesting tidbits from the spring meetings.

"Among the business conducted: the ADs spent considerable time discussing future television and streaming options; the conference has eliminated its automatic suspension policy for an ejection for unsportsmanlike behavior, leaving suspensions under the jurisdiction of the commissioner; a Wednesday/Saturday schedule for conference games will go into effect for men’s basketball for the coming season, eliminating the need for strict travel partners."

I personally like this move a lot. Allows teams to leave Tuesday after classes for a Wednesday night game, and then be back in time for Thursday and Friday classes. Then you head back out again for the Saturday game. I'm guessing this year, teams were missing Thursday and Friday classes. Plus gives each team an extra day of rest between games. I know it will impact the church crowd, but hopefully you can at least catch the second half.
 #14442  by apaladin
 Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:22 pm
Why does it have to be 2 exact days? What's wrong with using Monday, Tuesday and Thursday sometimes.
 #14450  by fufanatic
 Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:28 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:22 pm
Why does it have to be 2 exact days? What's wrong with using Monday, Tuesday and Thursday sometimes.
I guess without a national TV contract dictating what nights your teams play, it's easiest for the league and teams to know that every week they'll play Wednesday and Saturday, and that all their opponents are doing the exact same thing. If we ever had a chance at national network games though, I'm sure the league would be more than willing to adjust as needed.
 #14461  by Paul C
 Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:22 pm
Otherwise known as the "it's not fair we have to play Wofford and Furman in back to back games" scheduling adjustment
fufanatic liked this
 #14463  by edwards555
 Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:51 pm
The only concern I have is if it will affect the quality of officiating? IMO we seemed to get better officials on Thursdays versus Saturdays. Are there other local conferences who play a significant number of Wednesday games?