• Senior Day addition

#10842  by Paul C
 Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:16 pm
As has been speculated, Jalen Williams will be graduating this year and not returning for his RS Sr year.

From today’s game release

“Prior to tip-off, Furman will honor team manager Tyler Eckstein and seniors Andrew Brown, Rafferty, Brady Schuck and Jalen Williams, who will be playing their final regular season contest at Timmons Arena.”
 #10844  by Jasper
 Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:26 pm
Paul C wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:16 pm
As has been speculated, Jalen Williams will be graduating this year and not returning for his RS Sr year.

From today’s game release

“Prior to tip-off, Furman will honor team manager Tyler Eckstein and seniors Andrew Brown, Rafferty, Brady Schuck and Jalen Williams, who will be playing their final regular season contest at Timmons Arena.”
That is not exactly a shock.
 #10849  by fufanatic
 Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:26 pm
Wonder if he'll try to get a master's degree and play a year somewhere else? Maybe at the DII level. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
 #10856  by Monday
 Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:50 pm
So this gives us a fifth scholly for next year? Three are already taken, and we've been shopping for a fourth.
 #10857  by Paul C
 Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:09 pm
Yes we can sign 2 in the spring if we choose.
 #10858  by Monday
 Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:13 pm
I am sad to see Jalen leave. Last year before the home Samford game, my at-the-time 3 year old son and I are watching the early warm-ups. Jalen, unprompted, runs up to my son talks to him for a bit then promises to get my son a dunk that night. Late in the second half Jalen has a nice put-back slam in Alex Thompson's face. Right after the game, he runs up to my son with a huge grin on his face and asks if my son saw that dunk, gives a high five then runs off.

Great kid. And I wish Jon Jean was here for tomorrow night, too. It's very easy to say this recruiting class was exceptional even without the wins.
furpop16, Fessor, gman and 5 others liked this
 #10862  by soconjohn
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:44 am
What makes it tough is when you have such good kids like Jalen, Jon Jean, Matt Rafferty, Brady Schuck and Andrew Brown...But Furman is a better program for these five individuals...Playing time is really no determining factor on the effect all five have had as people on the FU basketball program...Will miss Jalen...He was top-notch in every way...Wish him the best.
gman, 76MrMoto, FU03times liked this
 #10866  by Jasper
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:20 am
purplehorse wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:35 pm
Jalen is a great guy. He would have provided a little beef and depth for next year. I wish him the best.
Or even this year.
Fessor liked this
 #10867  by Jasper
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:34 am
Monday wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:13 pm
I am sad to see Jalen leave. Last year before the home Samford game, my at-the-time 3 year old son and I are watching the early warm-ups. Jalen, unprompted, runs up to my son talks to him for a bit then promises to get my son a dunk that night. Late in the second half Jalen has a nice put-back slam in Alex Thompson's face. Right after the game, he runs up to my son with a huge grin on his face and asks if my son saw that dunk, gives a high five then runs off.

Great kid. And I wish Jon Jean was here for tomorrow night, too. It's very easy to say this recruiting class was exceptional even without the wins.

That's a great story about Jalen Williams and is typical of the kind of kid he is. And if I know him, Jon Jean WILL be here for the game tonight - his schedule permitting. He has been to several home games. I would like to see him recognized but that is very unlikely. Both of those young men are great credits to the university who contributed meaningfully to the program in previous years. Despite all the wins and current excitement, their departure leaves a sour taste.
76MrMoto, Fessor liked this
 #10872  by CharlieFU
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:13 am
I have always liked Jalen. A great kid. I recall last year listening to him on the podcast and thinking he could have a career in broadcasting.

Jon Jean May have been a great back up to Hunter this year but with Bothwell, maybe not so much.

Both have contributed to our success. But I’m not sure I understand the “sour taste.” A program is always going to have kids that do not make it or are in supportive roles. It’s certainlt not a reflection of their character and integrity or that of the program.
Fessor liked this
 #10877  by Jasper
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:31 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
I have always liked Jalen. A great kid. I recall last year listening to him on the podcast and thinking he could have a career in broadcasting.

Jon Jean May have been a great back up to Hunter this year but with Bothwell, maybe not so much.

Both have contributed to our success. But I’m not sure I understand the “sour taste.” A program is always going to have kids that do not make it or are in supportive roles. It’s certainlt not a reflection of their character and integrity or that of the program.
I am sure you will have a better understanding in time.
 #10884  by furpop16
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:59 pm
Coach BR starts all four seniors. I was wondering whether he'd do that for this game - I'd have understood had he not. I shouldn't have questioned it. Exceptionally classy.
FUKA61, dornb, FU03times liked this
 #10894  by fufanatic
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:01 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:59 pm
Coach BR starts all four seniors. I was wondering whether he'd do that for this game - I'd have understood had he not. I shouldn't have questioned it. Exceptionally classy.
I agree. Love that move. Especially for those bench guys. They’ve earned it.
dornb liked this
 #10897  by CharlieFU
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:10 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:31 pm
CharlieFU wrote:

I am sure you will have a better understanding in time.
Probably not. Can you spell it out for me? Really, I don’t want to guess or speculate about what you mean.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:46 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.