• An oddity on our roster

#8277  by gofurman
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:30 pm
On furmanpaladins.com if you look at our roster we have 5 PKs and 3 QBs. That's odd to me. Not a criticism, just struck me as strange.

I wouldn't mind seeing us get another QB and perhaps a freaky fast skill guy now. As CH said, we need more guys to stretch the field and put fear in defenses. At first it was Gordon at WR and Morehead at RB (seems a little injury prone) Now we added Wynn and Bell. I realize a .few WRs redshirted last year.

Seems we have a lot of great OL (!) and DL (Parker Stokes etc). and LB recruits (Hope, McKoy) either signed the past 2/3 years or targeting (Slay, guy from Florence ).
 #8283  by JohnW
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:24 pm
Might be incomplete. This has happened before when a work-in-progress is published. However, JeMar Lincoln is not on this roster. Hope it's a mistake.
LB1987 liked this
 #8284  by Paul C
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:27 pm
JohnW wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:24 pm
Might be incomplete. This has happened before when a work-in-progress is published. However, JeMar Lincoln is not on this roster. Hope it's a mistake.
I don't think it is....
 #8285  by youwouldno
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:29 pm
Interesting strategy to go with 2 scholarship QBs on the roster, both red-shirt freshmen. Can't say that I expect it to work out very well, but we'll see.
 #8287  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:35 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Interesting strategy to go with 2 scholarship QBs on the roster, both red-shirt freshmen. Can't say that I expect it to work out very well, but we'll see.
I don't think that is our "strategy."

We started a redshirt senior in 2018. The QB taken in the class behind Roberts (or close to it) was Avery Armstrong, who was converted to a WR. Our next QB, JeMar Lincoln, maybe looks to be transferring. Then we have two freshmen.

As I noted on the other thread, if Furman was inclined to take a transfer player at QB, I think this would be the year to do it. Of course, if Grainger is the next Tyrie Adams, then we may not need all of that.
 #8288  by Paul C
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:38 pm
I'm comfortable going into next season with Grainger and Sisson as our QB's.

Grainger showed a lot of improvement in the Samford game vs his earlier appearances, and the coaches are very high on him. Although shutting him down to preserve his redshirt was probably the smart thing to do for the long term, the added game experience he could've gotten would have been valuable. Remember, he played ONE year of QB in HS and is still raw, I'm expecting to see a lot of improvement in his understanding of the offense and his mechanics between now and next Aug 31st.

Having said all that, it wouldn't shock me in the least if Hamp Sisson was our starter on Aug 31....
 #8289  by youwouldno
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:42 pm
The Jackal wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

We started a redshirt senior in 2018. The QB taken in the class behind Roberts (or close to it) was Avery Armstrong, who was converted to a WR. Our next QB, JeMar Lincoln, maybe looks to be transferring. Then we have two freshmen.

As I noted on the other thread, if Furman was inclined to take a transfer player at QB, I think this would be the year to do it. Of course, if Grainger is the next Tyrie Adams, then we may not need all of that.
It's clearly a strategy not to seek out more depth/options at the position.
 #8290  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:03 pm
Are you guys seriously telling me Grainger and Sisson are our only QB options for next season????
 #8293  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:06 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:42 pm
The Jackal wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

It's clearly a strategy not to seek out more depth/options at the position.
This coaching staff recruited three QBs in two classes. I'm not sure how they aren't seeking out more depth.
 #8296  by youwouldno
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:17 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:06 pm
This coaching staff recruited three QBs in two classes. I'm not sure how they aren't seeking out more depth.
It really makes zero difference how many they have recruited in the last two classes, the roster has 2 scholarship QBs and both are completely unproven. Players that leave the team do not provide any depth.

Seeking out more depth would involve looking for a transfer (which CH said they aren't doing) or recruiting QBs in this class (none signed and none being prominently mentioned as targets).

Furman apparently will go into next season with the least QB depth of basically any team in FCS. As I said, it's an interesting strategy. Personally, I would have looked for a transfer QB and signed another out of HS, because it's the most important position in the game, but I guess we'll see how this way works instead.
bj93, MNORM and 1 others liked this
 #8298  by Paul C
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:25 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Are you guys seriously telling me Grainger and Sisson are our only QB options for next season????
Are you seriously asking?
 #8299  by apaladin
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:29 pm
Let me correct you. We have the least QB depth of any team anywhere, not just FCS. We are 2 injuries away from having no QB's. I can't remember who it was but one team had 4 QB injuries this year. It could happen.
bj93 and 1 others liked this
 #8300  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:31 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:25 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Are you seriously asking?

Yes 100% I am concerned, neither of those young men showed anything this year to prove they are ready to be a starter on a winning team yet.
 #8301  by cavedweller2
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:39 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:38 pm
I'm comfortable going into next season with Grainger and Sisson as our QB's.

Grainger showed a lot of improvement in the Samford game vs his earlier appearances, and the coaches are very high on him. Although shutting him down to preserve his redshirt was probably the smart thing to do for the long term, the added game experience he could've gotten would have been valuable. Remember, he played ONE year of QB in HS and is still raw, I'm expecting to see a lot of improvement in his understanding of the offense and his mechanics between now and next Aug 31st.

Having said all that, it wouldn't shock me in the least if Hamp Sisson was our starter on Aug 31....
I think Grainger is going to be good. Both kids can play. I don’t see the sky falling. The coaches are building a machine.
 #8302  by youwouldno
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:40 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:39 pm
I think Grainger is going to be good. Both kids can play. I don’t see the sky falling. The coaches are building a machine.
And I guess sometime after high school Grainger also became immune to any kind of physical ailment?