#6701  by furman86
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:25 pm
If I'm reading the roster correctly, we are only losing 6 seniors off of this year's 2-deep - and 27 of 44 were freshmen or sophomores.

All OL starters and backups are returning.

The majority of Furman's most talented and experienced players appear to be returning.

Coach Hendrix will be in his third year.

Seems like 2019 will be a year to remember.
DeepPurple, dornb liked this
 #6704  by youwouldno
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:40 pm
Except for the gigantic question mark at QB, which could single-handedly hold the team back, as the lack of depth at the position did this year.

A transfer QB could be a difference-maker.
bj93 liked this
 #6708  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:22 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:40 pm
Except for the gigantic question mark at QB, which could single-handedly hold the team back, as the lack of depth at the position did this year.

A transfer QB could be a difference-maker.
I think that if Furman was inclined to take a transfer QB, this would be a good year to do it.

Of course, transfers are not a panacea. However, a quality player to slot into a talented offense could be a difference maker.
 #6709  by FUPlayer74
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:36 pm
We're not where we need to be up front on the OL. I would hope we make improvement there.
bj93, Davemeister liked this
 #6711  by AstroDin
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:04 pm
It will be an interesting spring… will Sisson, Grainger, Lincoln separate themselves? My gut tells me it's between Sisson and Grainger. I doubt Furman will do the same thing in 2019 playing musical chairs with the QB position.

Furman does appear to have offers and interest in a couple of quarterbacks.

Malik Richardson (Lakewood) Sumter, SC 6-4 200 is a de-commit from ECU now lists offers from Furman, Coastal, GSU, Wofford, The Citadel, Western.

Digging around on Twitter - follow the accolades of Furman commit Austin Jones… Furman coaches are all over Habersham County QB Tre' Luttrell… Luttrell and Jones are finalists for the Blitz North Georgia Player of the Year.
By the way, Jones looks great as a two-way player for Connor Shaw's dad.

Austin Jones WR/S
723 YDS / 9 TD
39 RUSH YDS
212 PR YDS / 1 TD / 149 KR YDS
62 TKL / 7 TFL / INT / 2 FF
10 TOTAL TD

Next is an update on Rabun's current playoff run, Jones is #7 and the QB for Rabun is just a freshman…
MNORM liked this
 #6712  by cavedweller2
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:16 pm
Va. Tech. is Doomed.
 #6713  by AstroDin
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:17 pm
FUPlayer74 wrote:
We're not where we need to be up front on the OL. I would hope we make improvement there.
I agree… I think 2019 could be another 7-4 - 8-3 season. 2020 is the season to circle.
The good news we've already got three OL commits and one walk on commit in the barn.
Jumper, Toomey, Johanning, and Wyatt. I believe Hendrix and Lusk are building something.
 #6722  by AlValonge
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:25 pm
If we keep building up our O line, we will be a perennial force in the SoCon like we used to be. We have some nice skill players in place (especially running backs) and I have no doubt that we will get our QB situation solidified next year. Coach Hendrix has already gotten us into the playoffs and a share of the SoCon in 2 years and I am confident that we are on the right track. He understands how to build a team and it has been fun to see the improvement in such a short time. It is great to watch our team be competitive and have a chance to win--unlike some games in recent past seasons. There will probably be a few more roadblocks along the way, but I also get a strong feeling that we will post more championships on the wall. GO FU!
FUKA61, AstroDin, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #6727  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:51 pm
FUPlayer74 wrote:
I agree, but I think you are starting to see that group grow and develop.

I did the analysis somewhere, but Furman really has only two offensive linemen from Fowler's last two recruiting classes that see significant playing time - Kroeber and Godwin. We've had several guys leave the program, transfer, or spend most of their time in reserve roles. That hurts depth.

Next year, we will go in with a bunch of guys that saw a lot of playing time this year. I saw the offensive line get better each week and I expect we will really start to see the depth work pay off next season.
 #6728  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:13 pm
Just some thoughts on 2019:

1. The offensive line will continue to improve. 5 returning starters, a bunch of reserves that got significant playing time, and a new incoming group of good-looking freshmen.

2. We will have to sort out the QB position. Hopefully we can have "the guy" by spring practice. Hard to ignore Grainger's talent, but also difficult to overlook what Lincoln did in Charleston.

3. We can have a really special group at the skill positions.

4. I think our linebacking corps will get back where we need them to be. Build depth there and hopefully return both starters.

5. We need to hope a few of these younger guys step up at defensive back. Anoor played a lot of football for us.

6. We will have to fill some pretty big shoes on the defensive front. While we rotated a lot guys on the defensive front, we didn't seem to go that far down the depth chart. Need to see what guys like Dae'one Wilkins and Cam Coleman can bring to the table.

7. Georgia State is on the slate and they are one of the nation's worst FBS teams. Not a guaranteed win, but a game we should be in.

8. I think Wofford will take a step back next season. Conklin inherited a team with a lot of really good players on defense. He loses a lot of those guys in addition to some of the better offensive players.

9. I count 23 graduating seniors on ETSU's team including their best player on offense and on defense. So, they'll have some shoes to fill and we get them back in Greenville.

10. Samford loses Hodges, McKnight, and Gooden, who are arguably the two best offensive players and best defensive player in their program's history. I don't see who you can lose that sort of talent and not see them take a step back.

11. Tyrie Adams is a junior, but until the Cats play defense I don't see them moving up the ledger.

12. We get the Citadel in Greenville, where they historically struggle.

13. I hope we take a page out of everyone else's book and schedule a winnable home game early in the season. Get some momentum, climb the polls, and not have to dig ourselves out of a hole again.
 #6729  by Purpleglasses
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:14 pm
Actually in Fowler’s last class you also have Bo Layton and Jordan Harris as starters this season.
Layton and Kroeber started last season as well.
 #6731  by Paul C
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:15 pm
Worried about S. No obvious replacement for Anoor.

NG Jay Reid is a great player but I like Stokes and interested to see how Cameron Coleman has developed. Should be OK there.

At QB, Grainger looked a lot better vs Samford than he did earlier in the year, another offseason should help him maximize the use of his terrific physical skills, although it might be bumpy going at times.

I also heard that a few of our commits that will sign in Dec will be on campus in Jan and participate in spring ball....that’s huge for depth.
 #6734  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:27 pm
Jackal, Someone said that the VPI game has been moved to the 3rd game and we open Aug. 31 at home with Charleston Southern. Do you know if this is the case? Hope we can find a 4th OOC game next year are we could come up short on games again next year.
 #6735  by AstroDin
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:49 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:15 pm
Worried about S. No obvious replacement for Anoor.

NG Jay Reid is a great player but I like Stokes and interested to see how Cameron Coleman has developed. Should be OK there.

At QB, Grainger looked a lot better vs Samford than he did earlier in the year, another offseason should help him maximize the use of his terrific physical skills, although it might be bumpy going at times.

I also heard that a few of our commits that will sign in Dec will be on campus in Jan and participate in spring ball....that’s huge for depth.
This IMO is big… the last incoming recruit that I can remember that came in early - made a pretty big impact Ryan Steed. Jalen Miller (Byrnes) Austin Jones (Rabun CO) and Josh Slay (Douglas) look ready to go - I'll be curious to see who reports in January.

I also heard London Lewis could be back next season…

Another name to not forget is Jack Barton… 6-4 235 SDE I think he plays in 2019: http://www.hudl.com/video/3/5184531/5b9 ... 0640acc3ba
 #6737  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:14 pm
furman86 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:25 pm
If I'm reading the roster correctly, we are only losing 6 seniors off of this year's 2-deep - and 27 of 44 were freshmen or sophomores.

All OL starters and backups are returning.

The majority of Furman's most talented and experienced players appear to be returning.

Coach Hendrix will be in his third year.

Seems like 2019 will be a year to remember.
Agree it could be good but I'll temper things w a few notes (some of which others have mentioned )

2 of 2019 concerns I see. QB. Again. Not Hendrix fault but it's new QB again in year three. Every year with this. Finally maybe in 2020 we return a Grainger or Sisson. It could be real bumpy if we start a youngster. This where mature programs would have a junior Blaze ready and then Grainger or whomever gets time until a junior. We are getting there but QB is short - Very short - on experience. As we saw A LOT this year that can really hamstring everything and the coaches seem to shrink the playbook for younger guys which makes us far easier to defend.

Safety. As PAulC said. No one ready to take over for Anoor. That's a loss

I'll miss Jaylan Reid. He was a big MAN. Mercer guys said on pressed that Reid and Hope were our disruptive guys in defense.

Schedule a GAME ! Get us a 12 th game. Hurricanes are one thing but we see what happened with us being short a game from other teams. Get someone (easier) on the schedule. OBVIOUSLY the committee like Woffird beating PC and Gardner Webb. Not my liking but you have to play to your boss. The committee is the boss - they like wins let's give em wins

OL does need to improve but everyone returns as juniors next year (Godwin senior). One more year of weights and training under Hendrix. Plus a few new Hendrix recruits for depth. So we should be good bit better. Need to improve our ability to get a yard up middle. Much harder this year than last. Then 2020 all seniors on OL plus several guys of Hendrix mixed in. From 2020 on I think OL will be stout. 2020 these guys are all seniors. Then 2021 it's all Hendrix guys on OL. I think he likes a more athletic frame it appears to me. McKinney etc.

Still need better PASS DEFENSE. part of this can be solved by running long drives of option type fundamentals ... Nice 7 minute drives when we have the ball. Pass rush has Hope and is good. Just still need better coverage at times
MNORM liked this