• FURMAN-UTC RE-MATCH

#81250  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:17 pm
Not sure what Artopoeus' situation is. He didn't play QB, but was dressed out and held on the kick tries.

Jay Person's status is also key. He's the DPOTY and a guy that we struggled to deal with in our first game.
 #81251  by gofurman
 Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:27 pm
Right. Game with key injuries. Artopeus? Person? Huge. And then. Hope we are healthy !!!

Wouldn’t mind if they are still out for a week not hurt long term but for our game

When Person left did it look like he would play vs us ?
 #81254  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:36 pm
Person appears to have a shoulder injury. Unlike Huff, he's not a quarterback, doesn't have to throw the ball, and it's a win or go home game. So, if he can play, I imagine he'd play.

Artopoeus is dressed out, but hasn't started the last two games. He's on the field as the holder for kicks. Not sure what his injury is, but it's somewhere between not serious enough to not play, and serious enough not to play QB.
 #81260  by AstroDin
 Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:10 pm
I wasn't that impressed with APSU. WCU and Mercer would both beat them.
I'd call APSU a Samford lite. Far less horsepower than Samford.
The biggest difference IMO is Furman plays a more aggressive defense, and gets far more pressure on the QB.
I'll be curious to see how uncomfortable Furman makes Schomburg.
FUBeAR liked this
 #81267  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:13 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:17 pm
The UTC back-up qb played very well. And their defense is stout. It will be another good battle.
21-36 259 yds 1 TD and 1 Int. He played well, the difference was the gift td AP gave UTC.
 #81268  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:16 pm
See this happen all the time in sports. A team gets by a game they could have lost then play lights out the next game. Hope that is not the case next week. Of course the SoCon has the only game involving 2 teams that have already played.
Last edited by apaladin on Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #81270  by FurmAlum
 Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:58 pm
I went to the Chatty-APSU game. Here are my observations for those who didn't watch on T.V.

APSU was not who we thought they were. I haven't been to any of their games this year but after reading about them I thought like the pundits and some UFFP'ers that they would win by scoring a lot of points. Their senior QB set the Gov record for career TD's with a Q3 TD pass.

APSU ran the ball more than I thought they would and a lot of pass plays especially in the first half were WR screens. They didn't throw the ball down the field much and the reason was Chatty was in their backfield and had at least 4-6 sacks.

Chatty moved they ball pretty well mixing up the run and the pass. Their back-up QB looked good. But they kept shooting themselves in the foot when they would get to about the Gov 30 yd line, which included 2 missed FG's.

The biggest play in the game came at the end of Q2. The Moc QB threw an interception in the end zone and the APSU defender ran it out and the Chatty WR somehow just ripped the ball out of his hands on the tackle and scored.

APSU gained the momentum with a good KO return to start Q3 and then scored on multiple running plays. They scored again on 2 down the field pass plays to tie the game.

I thought they would score again and win the game after they got the ball back near the beginning of Q4 but the Moc defense stopped them twice and won it on the last drive. The Chatty QB made several good throws on that last possession.

The bottom line was the Moc offense did enough and their defense stopped APSU when they had to. APSU was somewhat overrated and plays in a weaker league than a lot of people thought. Or Chatty just played a real good game or both.

The injury situation - Artopeous looked good running on and off the field on his FG holding duties so his injury must have something to do with his ability to throw. Jay Person's arm was in a sling the whole second half. Status for next week unknown.

The Chatty back-up QB is a RS freshman making his second start. He will have to deal with a better defense next week than APSU. If Huff and Roberto can play I like our chances.
jesse174 liked this
 #81274  by gofurman
 Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:32 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
I went to the Chatty-APSU game. Here are my observations for those who didn't watch on T.V.

APSU was not who we thought they were. I haven't been to any of their games this year but after reading about them I thought like the pundits and some UFFP'ers that they would win by scoring a lot of points. Their senior QB set the Gov record for career TD's with a Q3 TD pass.

APSU ran the ball more than I thought they would and a lot of pass plays especially in the first half were WR screens. They didn't throw the ball down the field much and the reason was Chatty was in their backfield and had at least 4-6 sacks.

Chatty moved they ball pretty well mixing up the run and the pass. Their back-up QB looked good. But they kept shooting themselves in the foot when they would get to about the Gov 30 yd line, which included 2 missed FG's.

The biggest play in the game came at the end of Q2. The Moc QB threw an interception in the end zone and the APSU defender ran it out and the Chatty WR somehow just ripped the ball out of his hands on the tackle and scored.

APSU gained the momentum with a good KO return to start Q3 and then scored on multiple running plays. They scored again on 2 down the field pass plays to tie the game.

I thought they would score again and win the game after they got the ball back near the beginning of Q4 but the Moc defense stopped them twice and won it on the last drive. The Chatty QB made several good throws on that last possession.

The bottom line was the Moc offense did enough and their defense stopped APSU when they had to. APSU was somewhat overrated and plays in a weaker league than a lot of people thought. Or Chatty just played a real good game or both.

The injury situation - Artopeous looked good running on and off the field on his FG holding duties so his injury must have something to do with his ability to throw. Jay Person's arm was in a sling the whole second half. Status for next week unknown.

The Chatty back-up QB is a RS freshman making his second start. He will have to deal with a better defense next week than APSU. If Huff and Roberto can play I like our chances.
Thanks. Guess man Artopeus is iffy. Person sounds less likely if they put him in a sling

Did Person ever come back in the game ???
 #81275  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:38 pm
Furman sacked UTC 5 times the first game. They gave up a few big pass plays (one with a lot of luck), but Furman largely bottled up their run game.

UTC was forced to throw quick passing routes. They have some speedy receivers. Same drill as every week - stop the run, rush the passer, tackle.

I think our defense will come ready to play. The question is going to be what iteration of the offense shows up. In a perfect world, we'd see Huff and Roberto at full speed and recapture a bit of that momentum we had at Western Carolina, which may have been our most complete game of the year.

Furman tends to play its best in the biggest games.
 #81279  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:40 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:38 pm

Furman tends to play its best in the biggest games.
Prolly shoukdn’t have said that, hope you at least knocked on wood. ;)
 #81281  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:21 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:10 pm
I wasn't that impressed with APSU. WCU and Mercer would both beat them.
I'd call APSU a Samford lite. Far less horsepower than Samford.
The biggest difference IMO is Furman plays a more aggressive defense, and gets far more pressure on the QB.
I'll be curious to see how uncomfortable Furman makes Schomburg.
Haven’t watched the Chatt @ APSU game yet. FUBeAR was otherwise occupied in Maconga yesterday…but watched some vids on APSU last week … and FUBeAR’s assessment was identical to AstroDin…Samford, but not as good.

APSU is a 6th place SoCon Team.

Let’s get after those scaly, feathery, grimy SnakeBirdTrainDrivers this week!
Last edited by FUBeAR on Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
QCGlue liked this
 #81282  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:31 am
FurmAlum wrote:

Shot in the dark …

Did you watch any of the pre-game warm-ups? If so, did you see Artopeous throwing the ball at all? If so, any throws with velocity on them and/or any deep/deep-ish balls.

If you didn’t see any of pre-game warm-ups…how about warm-ups after halftime. Same questions, if you happened to watch.

If not pre-game or after halftime, did you ever see Artopeous pick up a ball and take a few throws…just to ‘stay loose,’ perhaps?

FUBeAR wishes he knew you were going. He woulda given you his HarbaughQuestionnaire to complete.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.