• 3 GAMES IN

#75764  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:03 pm
I think it is fair to say “WE ARE NOT WHO WE THOUGHT WE WERE” at least not yet.
 #75771  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:30 pm
After four games last season, we'd played a D2 school, a bad ETSU team, and a bad Charleston Southern team.

Just win. Get better. Move on.

Remember, we're still missing a number of guys that Hendrix seemed to suggest we'd get back for conference play.
 #75792  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:27 am
The Jackal wrote:
After four games last season, we'd played a D2 school, a bad ETSU team, and a bad Charleston Southern team.

Remember, we're still missing a number of guys that Hendrix seemed to suggest we'd get back for conference play.
Not to be argumentative. I can only think of one guy,, though a huge key - Johanning. And that is key as he’s our best OL And again today our OL struggled particularly in first half. CCH didn’t sound sure on McCormick as the ‘vertigo’ was not cleared.

Is there someone I am missing. ? I saw 46 Maier today as noted. Thanks on that one. Also saw 9 Wayne Anderson and OL 77 Norman today etc so I felt we had all out there but Johanning - who I really want to get out there!! I’d love to think McCormick is to return soon but his seemed pretty indefinite from all accounts including the Furman sports report

(Achina is out but for the year ..
Last edited by gofurman on Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
 #75793  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:32 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:27 am
The Jackal wrote:

Not to be argumentative. I can only think of one guy,, though a huge key - Johanning. And that is key as he’s our best OL And again today our OL struggled particularly in first half. CCH didn’t sound sure on McCormick as the ‘vertigo’ was not cleared.

Is there someone I am missing. ? I saw 46 Maier today as noted. Thanks on that one
Pretty sure CCH has said McCormick will not play this year.
 #75795  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:46 am
Anyway I think the 3 game summary is I hoped for 2-1. Got it. Awesome

That said, our OL is struggling (entire first half today) to run block. We may be more of a pass-first team than I want
To be. I, in true Furman fashion.. want to run and set up play action etc. Today we had to pass to set up the run. The first few drives
We tried to run a lot and it wasn’t happening, for EITHER Team

Which leads to a big positive- the run stopping of our front seven on D as well as our backfield fighting off blocks and making tackles !!!

Special teams- punting, punt coverage etc have been great for the most part. Not sure why we kicked straight to MR Dangerous! On the KO Today but I assume that was a singular mistake. Nice chip FG BY us. Those can be hard.

The D issue we all know we have - and Mercer will test! - is deep ball coverage. Need better coverage Or have to get to qb
We had 1 sack today Vs a team that UTC sacked 5 times. I think we have 4 or maybe 5 sacks on the year? Please correct me. Point being that
2 sacks or less per game isn’t going to cut vs a team that heaves the ball around a lot. It’s not fair to ask our DB to cover that long. No one can. MUST GET MORE PRESSURE ON OPPOSING QBs

Hope we can get these figured out because overall we have a good team !
 #75827  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:11 pm
GF- 3 sacks on the year, one each game but last night was the first time we actually sacked a QB for a good loss(10 yds). The other 2 “sacks” were for a total of only 4 yds. Agree need to get more pressure on opposing QB’s. That will be really critical 3 of the next 4 games which will determine the season’s success.