• Whats it gonna be....

#73937  by Sad Din
 Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:18 pm
1. SoCon Twitter person getting new glasses?
2. Socon moving to Asville
3. Socon merging with ACC?
4. Socon offering Stanford and Cal?
5. other?

#73939  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:15 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:18 pm
1. SoCon Twitter person getting new glasses?
2. Socon moving to Asville
3. Socon merging with ACC?
4. Socon offering Stanford and Cal?
5. other?

FUBeAR thought it was a (good) joke about the current state of College Athletics.

If, as you suggest, it’s teasing a reveal, the color and shape remind FUBeAR of this emoji…
…so maybe Duke …or Northwestern State (LA) is joining the SoCon.

FUBeAR will allow the former.
 #73946  by Affirm
 Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:06 pm
Tomorrow, SoCon Twitter person will make things clearer with the following announcements:
1. SoCon will no longer be called SoCon or Southern Conference. Instead, the conference will be X. Actually, the new name for the conference would have been XCon, but Furman was finally successful in persuading enough of the other schools to not use that name.
2. SoCon, soon to be X, will announce, or it will leak, that the conference Presidents and ADs have been secretly meeting and gathering information about the financial implications of inviting 3 additional schools to joint the conference.
One of them, University of the Pacific, is rumored to be highly interested but the school is first having to assure the SoCon, soon to be
X that the Tigers really will reinstate football at the FCS level by 2025, 20 years after dropping their FBS (Division I-A) football program in 1995..
The 2nd and 3rd teams the SoCon, soon to be X is eyeing for an invitation are Tarleton State (the Texans, formerly known as the Plowboys and the Tex-Anns for the women's teams) and Texas A&M - Commerce (the Lions). Both of those schools are in driving distance of DFW and they are interested in partnering with SMU for future travel into ACC territory.
The 2 Texas schools are first having to assure the SoCon, soon to be X , that they can get out of their existing agreements to join the UAC (Tarleton) and the Southland (TAMU-Commerce).
FUBeAR, Davemeister liked this
 #73957  by Thorny
 Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:36 pm
This is one hell of a tease given the state of college athletics and keeping things this quiet suggests a level of competency I did not expect. 🤔

Could be a media deal, new team, or the SoCon kicking out The Citadel who for years has been holding us back as a conference. Based on the color I would guess the latter.
 #73961  by Thorny
 Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:50 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:48 pm
Probably just a new logo.......................
Given no one is talking about this, no one has said anything, and it is getting absolutely no traction...you're probably right. 😅
FU Hoopla, 'Din Djarin liked this
 #73963  by fupaladin01
 Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:44 pm
At media day, the commish was intentional about saying THE Southern Conference and I don't recall his using "SoCon". I fear they want to rebrand the name and thus, replace the logo. I don't think the logo is anything special, but I think trying to avoid "SoCon" is a terrible idea.
 #73964  by Affirm
 Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:57 am
Additional rumors indicate that the SoCon, soon X, is seeking expansion due to the expectation that Furman will soon be moving to A-10 for all sports but football.
 #73976  by MidlandsPaladin
 Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:11 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
At media day, the commish was intentional about saying THE Southern Conference and I don't recall his using "SoCon". I fear they want to rebrand the name and thus, replace the logo. I don't think the logo is anything special, but I think trying to avoid "SoCon" is a terrible idea.
Rebranding of logo - check. But “SoCon” remains. Much ado about nothing:

https://soconsports.com/news/2023/8/9/ ... -year.aspx
 #73979  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:45 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:11 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
Rebranding of logo - check. But “SoCon” remains. Much ado about nothing:

https://soconsports.com/news/2023/8/9/ ... -year.aspx
LOL - Graphics peeps drinkin’ their own Kool-Aid.
 #73988  by Thorny
 Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:27 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:The fact than anyone made over $50 for that "rebrand" is proof I went into the wrong career... More plain, more letters, less color... totally unimaginative.
I like it. 🤷‍♂️
 #73991  by Paul C
 Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:55 pm
I like it. Clean, simple.

The old logo looked dated so it was probably time to re-do it. and now is as good a time as ever. I just hope they didn't spend much time or money on it.
 #73993  by Roundball
 Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:47 pm
Nice change. The old one was stale. Maybe this is a sign the SoCon it finally looking toward the future.