Things you might live to regret.... or "it seemed a good idea at the time"

cavedweller2, FUBeAR liked this
 #63645  by Flagman
 Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:23 pm
Tell me it isn't the Samford crew.
dornb liked this
 #63679  by apaladin
 Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:15 pm
SD it is Uh oh, not oh oh. Rut ro is also acceptable. JK :lol: This makes it must watch TV.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #63685  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:26 am
I wish it was our problem. The thread title worried me AP
 #63690  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:46 am
I’m not sure of the exact process, but I suspect this is not a random assignment for a random crew.

The Samford game was an aberration. That game was not just a missed judgment call in real time, but a misapplication of the rules leading to an incorrect call. Other than that, though, most of the referring in games I watched was pretty good.

Yes, everyone is going to have their beef with a call. Everyone thinks there was pass interference. Everyone thinks that something was targeting, or not targeting. Most of the times, though, the SoCon refs did a decent job in the games. We aren’t the SEC and these are not full time refs.

If the SoCon can send an “all star” crew up there, I imagine they’ll be fine. I expect we may have seen the last of the white hat from the Samford game, though.
 #63691  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:52 am
The Jackal wrote:
I’m not sure of the exact process, but I suspect this is not a random assignment for a random crew.

The Samford game was an aberration. That game was not just a missed judgment call in real time, but a misapplication of the rules leading to an incorrect call. Other than that, though, most of the referring in games I watched was pretty good.

Yes, everyone is going to have their beef with a call. Everyone thinks there was pass interference. Everyone thinks that something was targeting, or not targeting. Most of the times, though, the SoCon refs did a decent job in the games. We aren’t the SEC and these are not full time refs.

If the SoCon can send an “all star” crew up there, I imagine they’ll be fine. I expect we may have seen the last of the white hat from the Samford game, though.
Agree - since SoCon Officials have come under the supervision of the Head of SEC Officials ( https://soconsports.com/news/2020/2/10 ... rtium.aspx) - FUBeAR has noted significant improvement in the Officiating.

As Jackal noted, judgement calls are still gonna be judgement calls and, when not reviewable, some of them are gonna be questionable…and Chatt & bellhop fans are gonna whine and cry until the cows come home. And, when we saw an absolutely egregious act of incompetence or malicious malfeasance or both, as we did in the Samford @ Furman game debacle, heads (wearing white hats) rolled…and the Conference Office stood up and publicly acknowledged & accepted responsibility for fixing the problem.

As far as how a SoCon crew ended up doing the Championship game, an Alabama State fan, who at least sounds like s/he knows something about the process, posted this on AGS…

“ In general, each conference submits 1 or 2 crews to the NCAA for consideration. Those crews are selected for the first couple rounds staying away from their own conference. They are observed and evaluated and rated. The top rated from the first couple rounds are then selected for the final 3 rounds, taking into consideration the conferences still playing. MVFC wasn't eligible for the semifinal and final because of the teams participating even if they came out as the top rated crew.”

If FUBeAR decides to watch the game (he does have video tapes to return, y’know), he will be pulling for the SoCon Officiating crew to perform impeccably and for both Dakota State Teams to lose.

#63704  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:58 pm
LOL…
 #63705  by tim
 Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:19 pm
Yall scarin' me with these thread headings
 #63779  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:03 pm
tim wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:19 pm
Yall scarin' me with these thread headings
Exactly
 #63780  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:15 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:52 am
The Jackal wrote:

Agree - since SoCon Officials have come under the supervision of the Head of SEC Officials ( https://soconsports.com/news/2020/2/10 ... rtium.aspx) - FUBeAR has noted significant improvement in the Officiating.

As Jackal noted, judgement calls are still gonna be judgement calls and, when not reviewable, some of them are gonna be questionable…and Chatt & bellhop fans are gonna whine and cry until the cows come home. And, when we saw an absolutely egregious act of incompetence or malicious malfeasance or both, as we did in the Samford @ Furman game debacle, heads (wearing white hats) rolled…and the Conference Office stood up and publicly acknowledged & accepted responsibility for fixing the problem.

As far as how a SoCon crew ended up doing the Championship game, an Alabama State fan, who at least sounds like s/he knows something about the process, posted this on AGS…

“ In general, each conference submits 1 or 2 crews to the NCAA for consideration. Those crews are selected for the first couple rounds staying away from their own conference. They are observed and evaluated and rated. The top rated from the first couple rounds are then selected for the final 3 rounds, taking into consideration the conferences still playing. MVFC wasn't eligible for the semifinal and final because of the teams participating even if they came out as the top rated crew.”

If FUBeAR decides to watch the game (he does have video tapes to return, y’know), he will be pulling for the SoCon Officiating crew to perform impeccably and for both Dakota State Teams to lose.

Exactly. Refs are graded and rated. Better rated refs get more jobs and more money $$

Thus my comment regarding “make up” calls being a strange thing . You hear that term a lot. “Oh that was a make up call. “

Well, that could cost you you’re job and certainly promotions and $$$. Because instead of missing one clear call now you missed two calls and usually within just a few plays. I recall a Furman game this year with a clear missed PI. Two or three plays later the ref made a really really questionable PI Call and many agreed “that was a make up for the first missed call”.

That doesn’t make complete sense - as a former D1 ref I know agreed - as that sabotages your career. No playoff games. Worse ratings. Maybe never get good games or never get promoted to D1. Maybe get fired though that seems a very rare occurrence

I guess some refs care more about the make up call than advancing in job to higher Divisions and getting playoff games. Could be
 #63798  by The Jackal
 Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:40 am
Honestly, I don't believe the refs frequently miss "clear" calls.

At the same time, I find many fans neither read nor actually understand the applicable rules. They get upset about what they think the rule is, not what it actually is.
cavedweller2 liked this
 #63816  by gofurman
 Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:01 pm
The Jackal wrote:

At the same time, I find many fans neither read nor actually understand the applicable rules. They get upset about what they think the rule is, not what it actually is.
I will say I saw A LOT of holding of our receivers by UIW that was not called. Even the announcers agreed - they were literally tugging the shirt of Ryan Miller and others to keep them from getting free. CLEAR MISSES by refs. Announcers agreed that by rule that is obvious defensive holding. (I sort of think UIW is coached that way…. To put the refs in tough positions..but that’s a different discussion and an interesting one)

it’s a super tough job to be a ref. No doubt. I’ll grant that.
 #63821  by The Jackal
 Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:14 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:01 pm
The Jackal wrote:

I will say I saw A LOT of holding of our receivers by UIW that was not called. Even the announcers agreed - they were literally tugging the shirt of Ryan Miller and others to keep them from getting free. CLEAR MISSES by refs. Announcers agreed that by rule that is obvious defensive holding. (I sort of think UIW is coached that way…. To put the refs in tough positions..but that’s a different discussion and an interesting one)

it’s a super tough job to be a ref. No doubt. I’ll grant that.

Follow up. By their comments, sometimes I think the broadcast boot is less informed on the rules than the average fan.

As fans, we see what we want to see. If we want to see holding, or targeting, or pass interference, that's what we see. A lot of these calls are arguable. Sometimes it's just the judgement of the official.
 #63822  by The Jackal
 Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:22 am
One other thought -

UIW was a bit unique in their approach. I was surprised in the lead up to the game and looking over their stats how frequently they were penalized (among the most penalties per game in the country). Watching them play, though, it made more sense why.

UIW plays a high attacking aggressive style on both sides of the ball. Offensively, they know they can quickly make up penalty yardage, so they are going to push the edge on false starts trying to get an advantage.

Defensively, they are primarily concerned with forcing turnovers. They want more possessions for the offense. That will put them in a position where you'll get beat from time to time in the passing game, but college DBs will often drag a receiver down instead of giving up the big play.

Refs aren't going to flag you on every play. If the goal is more possessions for the offense, you can quickly make up penalty yardage, and maybe one or two of the plays you "get away with" leads to a score or a turnover, what do you care if you draw a few flags?

Admittedly, UIW was about the only team I watched this year that could play that sort of football game.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by The Jackal

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:38 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.