• Scott Keeler's blog

#4049  by Paul C
 Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:44 pm
http://www.furmansportsreport.com/2018/ ... ement.html

a few other tidbits in here besides the info on the efforts to secure a game on 10/6.

- Harris Roberts is back an could/should play on Sat
- some injury updates on Gilby, Porter, Weems
- OL Jacob Conrad has left the team. A bit of a blow to OL depth but he was replaced by Bo McKinney vs Elon.

THANKS SCOTT!
PaladinDad, AstroDin liked this
 #4050  by apaladin
 Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:50 pm
Good article from Scott as always, but not very encouraging.
 #4053  by apaladin
 Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:51 pm
Paul C wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:56 pm
apaladin wrote:
Your discouragement is a well documented constant state.
Was it encouraging to you? A starter has left the team. Stetson does not won't to play so prolly no game for Oct. 6th. Even CCH did not sound confident or encouraging. Please tell me why you thought there was a lot to be encouraged about? Again good article from Scott.
 #4058  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:51 pm
Seems obvious Colgate wanted no part of coming down to Greenville to pick up a loss, there were work arounds they could have done with us, don't buy their excuse of not wanting players to miss classes
 #4059  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:57 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Seems obvious Colgate wanted no part of coming down to Greenville to pick up a loss, there were work arounds they could have done with us, don't buy their excuse of not wanting players to miss classes
Reading their fan site, even Colgate fans seem convinced the call to cancel was Colgate’s
 #4061  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:27 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:51 pm
Paul C wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:56 pm
apaladin wrote:
Your discouragement is a well documented constant state.
Was it encouraging to you? A starter has left the team. Stetson does not won't to play so prolly no game for Oct. 6th. Even CCH did not sound confident or encouraging. Please tell me why you thought there was a lot to be encouraged about? Again good article from Scott.
Here is a list of 10 positives I saw in that article...

1) 21 months that Furman head coach Clay Hendrix has been back at his alma mater,
2) Furman officials have been hard at work trying to find an opponent for the Paladins
3) “we will handle it and move on,” Hendrix said
4) off week has given Furman a few extra days to prepare
5) Furman ended the 1981 season with three road trips and opened the 1982 season with three. (Both SoCon Championship seasons)
6) get on track against an ETSU team that they've scored 108 points combined the last two years against
7) Hendrix said. "I think we're fairly talented...
8) Senior captains can sometimes be a remedy for confidence issues, and the Paladins may get one back Saturday. Harris Roberts...could return to the quarterback mix this week.
9) Cornerback Darius Kearse has fully recovered from a hip injury.
10) Bo McKinney, of Travelers Rest, is the new starter at left guard.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
QCGlue liked this
 #4063  by apaladin
 Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:37 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:57 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Reading their fan site, even Colgate fans seem convinced the call to cancel was Colgate’s
That's what I thought all along. Why would FU announce free tickets and cancel the game 4 hours later?
QCGlue liked this
 #4064  by apaladin
 Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:39 am
I see where App. St and So. Miss have now cancelled their game. They both have an open date 10/6.
 #4065  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:49 am
apaladin wrote:
I see where App. St and So. Miss have now cancelled their game. They both have an open date 10/6.
I’m sure we could play someone, I think part of the issue is that we want them to come to Greenville.
 #4068  by Jasper
 Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:02 am
I think Colgate made a very sound decision based upon what the forecasts for this area were at the time. Like Furman, it is an excellent academic institution and a prolonged absence from classes for their student/athletes would have placed a big burden on them. IMO, a week off for our football team may have been a Godsend after that beatdown at the hands of Elon. They needed time to get over the psychological effects of that game and to work on a game plan more suited to the experience and skill sets of this particular squad. I believe both will be accomplished and expect a much improved showing this week against ETSU.
QCGlue liked this
 #4069  by gman
 Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:20 am
Like Coach Hendrix said, we need to move on. Beat ETSU!
 #4071  by fufanatic
 Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:28 am
Personally I'm fine never playing App State again ... why? ... the last meeting: 27-10 good guys.

Get on the phone with Southern Miss. Get some money and have a shot at an FBS win. They've had winning records the last three years, but I have a feeling they wouldn't be quite as tough as Clemson ... a 10-game schedule gives this team little room for error. Has to be 8-2 or 7-3. At least with another FBS game, you might be 7-4 but 3 of the losses would have been to 2 FBS teams and a highly-ranked Elon squad on the road.
 #4072  by MNORM
 Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:18 pm
apaladin wrote:
App plays on Tuesday 10/9...so we will not be exploring that option.
 #4073  by apaladin
 Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:07 pm
Jasper wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:02 am
I think Colgate made a very sound decision based upon what the forecasts for this area were at the time. Like Furman, it is an excellent academic institution and a prolonged absence from classes for their student/athletes would have placed a big burden on them. IMO, a week off for our football team may have been a Godsend after that beatdown at the hands of Elon. They needed time to get over the psychological effects of that game and to work on a game plan more suited to the experience and skill sets of this particular squad. I believe both will be accomplished and expect a much improved showing this week against ETSU.
Don't want to argue but the forecast at the time of cancellation was Partly Cloudy and 20% chance of a shower. Turns out that was pretty close except it was mostly cloudy. If they wanted to play it could have been worked out. Among options they could have flown down Thursday after classes, had a walk through and played Friday night or even kept their original travel plans and played Saturday at 11 or 12. Clempson certainly had no problems playing Saturday.
Very little class time would have been missed if any. I am sure FB players are not in the classroom more than 3-4 hours a day if that and a lot of classes these days are online anyway.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.