• Playoff projections

#59107  by tya1
 Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:40 pm
College Sports Madness has a playoff prediction bracket up. Bracket

Furman vs. Davidson in one game with the winner to face #1 South Dakota St. Winner of that game to play #8 Weber State or Mercer or Elon.
On the other side of the bracket #7 seed Samford playing winner of Chattanooga and North Carolina A&T.
 #59117  by AllTimeFU
 Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:59 am
If we don’t get the automatic qualifier, what are the odds we’ll host?
 #59118  by fupaladin01
 Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:20 am
I'm hoping to host ANYONE in round 1 or at least a drivable game to Elon or NC A&T. Really hoping for some SoCon/CAA matchups.
 #59119  by MNORM
 Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:23 am
Assuming that scenario plays out...I have a difficult time believing we wouldn't outbid Davidson. I'd expect a home game.
 #59121  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:28 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:59 am
If we don’t get the automatic qualifier, what are the odds we’ll host?
Just to clarify, getting the AQ doesn’t guarantee a home game.

Only getting a Top 8 Seed guarantees a 1st round bye and a 2nd round home game.
 #59160  by The Jackal
 Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:20 am
A few playoff musings:

Mercer/Furman is a big game for both teams. Playoff bids, SoCon title hunt, tie breakers, etc. Both teams have every incentive to win that game.

The game is arguably bigger for Mercer. The Bears lack a signature win on the resume and lost by three touchdowns to the only ranked team they played. They pretty much have to beat either Furman or Samford.

I'm inclined to think that even with a close loss on the road at Mercer, Furman would still be in with a win against Wofford. The only thing that gives me pause is that Furman has lagged behind in the coach's poll (for whatever reason) all season. Best to just beat both of them.
 #59162  by AllTimeFU
 Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:48 am
Jackal - I’m in complete agreement t with your assessment. The coaches poll could actually drop us out with a loss to Mercer. We just haven’t gotten the respect in that poll.
 #59163  by Purple rain
 Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:08 am
I agree with all of these. The Clemson game, we played a most respectable and competitive game against one of the top teams in the country, FBS.
We actually outgained them.
 #59170  by gofurman
 Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:22 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:20 am
A few playoff musings:

Mercer/Furman is a big game for both teams. Playoff bids, SoCon title hunt, tie breakers, etc. Both teams have every incentive to win that game.

The game is arguably bigger for Mercer. The Bears lack a signature win on the resume and lost by three touchdowns to the only ranked team they played. They pretty much have to beat either Furman or Samford.

I'm inclined to think that even with a close loss on the road at Mercer, Furman would still be in with a win against Wofford. The only thing that gives me pause is that Furman has lagged behind in the coach's poll (for whatever reason) all season. Best to just beat both of them.
according to almost every article (McLaughlin etc) this game is definitely bigger for Mercer. They are generally put lower in most bracket projections than we are. Granted they have 2 shots at a signature win - FU and Samford. I think FU is in as long as its not a blowout loss to Mercer and we have to beat Wofford. Something like that. Win em both and its all good but we can probably lose Mercer and be ok to some degree. Again, Woff has been improving rapidly so we need two strong games
 #59172  by FUBeAR
 Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:32 pm
So ….

Is this correct?

We think…

Mercer beating Furman OR Samford
Furman beating Wofford

…will put 4 SoCon Teams in the Playoffs. Is that right?

So Chatt & Samford are already in … essentially because Chatt beat Mercer and Samford beat Furman…and Furman is in by beating Chatt (but has to best Woffy too because of having a D2 win).

So - just beat 1 of the 3 other ‘good’ SoCon Teams (and all the ‘Non-Good’ ones) to finish 8-3/6-2 and all 4 are in. Correct?

…all this assuming no upsets by CIT, WCU, VMI…of course.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.