• Furman vs Georgia Southern

#4004  by Paul C
 Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:47 am
comparison vs common opponent, Clemson....

Furman
13 first downs
163 yds gained on offense (53 rushes for 117 yards)
531 yds given up on defense
-2 turnovers

Georgia Southern
7 first downs
143 yds gained on offense (43 rushes for 83 yards)
595 yds given up on defense
+2 turnovers
AstroDin, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #4006  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:56 am
If we can correct our turnover problem (given up 5 and taken away 0) and get several (5 or 6) effective passing plays ironed out we will be in so much better shape, those are the 2 biggies at this juncture
 #4010  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:41 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
If we can correct our turnover problem (given up 5 and taken away 0) and get several (5 or 6) effective passing plays ironed out we will be in so much better shape, those are the 2 biggies at this juncture
Correct. I am not horrified by our statistics (other than the scoreline). We are turning the ball over too much. I think we've lost 5 fumbles. Those kind of things are fixable.
 #4021  by gofurman
 Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:24 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:41 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Correct. I am not horrified by our statistics (other than the scoreline). We are turning the ball over too much. I think we've lost 5 fumbles. Those kind of things are fixable.
Not to pick nits.. but If we have 5 turnovers.. I believe that is right (2 at Tiger town, 3 at Elon) - then one of those was definitely an interception at Elon .. I recall Grainger threw a pick at Elon:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/bo ... =401029903

No biggie. 4 fumbles.. 1 pick. your point is valid.. its the fumbles that are killing us. we could live with one pick

The other thing is we aren't just giving the ball up.. we aren't GETTING any turnovers .. as in none / 0 / nada. CCH said as much before Elon.. said we have to find ways to take the ball from the other team. With our 9 returning D players and Trapp - quite the athlete adding to a great defensive backfield ! - we really shouldn't be sitting at 0 turnovers gained after 2 games

Other stats that would 'horrify' me ... defenders getting in our backfield.. QB pressures and hurries coming at Grainger and Lincoln... and v Elon (good FCS comp) our passing stats were 7/14 with 1 interception.. that's an old Wofford or Citadel passing line .. LOL. That just ain't gonna cut it. We will be facing stacked boxes all year if that is the case :shock:
 #4077  by Davemeister
 Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:56 pm
And while our QBs were running for their lives, we put no pressure at all on Elon's QB. He had all the time in the world to do whatever he wanted to do with the ball.
 #4087  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:26 pm
Davemeister wrote:
And while our QBs were running for their lives, we put no pressure at all on Elon's QB. He had all the time in the world to do whatever he wanted to do with the ball.
So, a thought on that.

Furman notched 34 sacks last year and returned basically the same front seven. So, I do think there is some credit due to Elon's veteran offensive line.
 #4105  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:48 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:26 pm
Davemeister wrote:
So, a thought on that.

Furman notched 34 sacks last year and returned basically the same front seven. So, I do think there is some credit due to Elon's veteran offensive line.
True. What is baffling is how do we get subjectively more pressure on Clemson QBs than Elon? Sheesh. I hope the team that was pumped to play Clemson shows up this week.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.