• Furman v Western Carolina Game Thread

#58055  by AllTimeFU
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:27 am
Time for the Dins to begin moving to mid-season form and see them begin to hit their stride. We know there should be quite a bit more in the tank. Today is the day to begin seeing it.

Zero turnovers
Zero blown wheel route busted coverages
Zero offensive line penalties
Zero missed extra points
Zero re-review plays

34-20
Huff runs 6 times
4 balls caught over the deep middle
265 rushing yards
235 passing yards
Defense gets 2 turnovers

Game day!!
 #58060  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:50 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:14 am
Time for the 2022 'Dins to "put up".
Exactly. Nut up Or shut up. LOL. :D

If we lose today that’s a nail in coffin. HAVE to win today and VMI and then look at other SoCon leaders

Stat. We haven’t won an FCS game at home this year. :D I know. Jk. Only one FCS game at PS so far.

Side note. I too want some strong OL with Roberto running. WCU is known for a lesser defense. And we ran well last time but lost in a damn shootout 43-42. We don’t want a dang shootout. Just not our MO

like WCU 43-42. Or Samford 34-27. Just not our best to get in a score fest. Let’s win 30-17. And these guys have a lot of offense. Mercer score was distorted by FIVE turnovers for WCU. And vsSamford WCU. :ugeek: had 450 yards I think they just were all between the 20s. They can move the ball on O. Let’s run. Run run and keep their O on sideline

Dang I just looked. Yes we lost 42-43 last time. With us running for over 300 yards. Great running. BUT…. WCU passed for almost 400 yards on us last time with - get this - a 17.5 yard per catch average !! I don’t know if I have EVER seen a yards per catch average of 17+. Heck, Clemson doesn’t do that to us No way should we allow that. Interesting to watch today.

So let’s make our Citadel win be the beginning of ‘the run’
Last edited by gofurman on Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #58064  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:16 pm
THese runs are too easy for WCU on the first drive. Spreading us out and inside runs are hurting. Just first drive but WE GOT AWAY WITH ONE possibly

- REFS are bad for everyone .. that might have been a TD for WCU. The anooouncers are SHOCKED> he looks to have ball and the foot was definitely down in endzone

Great FG block but no complaints about Samford we got our momentum call there - was probably a WCU TD . I am watching on TV
 #58065  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:18 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:16 pm
We got lucky on that review. Should have been ruled a catch and a touchdown.
YES. They should be up 7-0. no complaining about Samford junk. It happens to everyone... then with momentum we block FG , then interference. Then huge run for TD - just like Samford call on us. Announcer just said a veteran team should weather this storm - EXACTLY.

basically SOCON REFS SUCK all around. It is truly amazing how bad they are
 #58066  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:30 pm
we keep doing well holding the first down plays and they just keep moving for 12 yards on 2nd down. 2nd and 8 for WCU.. 1st down WCU. We have to hold these guys better or create a turnover. TOUCHDOWN WESTERN. TV Announcer (not a western guy) "these receivers are beating the Furman corners". He is right. They should have 14 already if not for the refs. TD catch on both drives.

Interesting how easy they are running on us. Inside zone runs I think?

Man, this is looking like a shootout. Don't want that !!!
We need to get to the QB (he has all day so far) or create a turnover on D
 #58071  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:01 pm
Great INT and stick the ball in the Endzone. HOWEVER again the SoCon refs - I am fair.. WCU had a TD that wasn't given (Probably a TD) .. well ABrams (I think) had a TD on that 1st or second down which started 2nd quarter He was pretty clearly in the endzone. Even the TV guy was surprised they didn't review. We should have asked for a review. You can always get a holding or false start... If we review, and Socon refs get it right - low chance lol .. we would have had the TD on the prior play

That's mostly on refs but a little on us. We need to communicate intra-team that "hey, I was in for a TD, ask for review"

Great TD... seems more direct snaps this year
 #58072  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:24 pm
great. RUN RUN RUN Roberto.. LOVE to see Huff running a little more.. Then play action to Miller. That's what I love. Mostly strong running with occassional pass.
 #58073  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:26 pm
and THERE is your looooooong TD pass against us. there it is

glad to see in this game though we had the big run by Roberto early so we had a big play too