• Furman University vs. North Greenville University

#55259  by Affirm
 Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:32 am
I have not paid much attention previously, but today I spent a few minutes looking at NGU's football schedules for the past 10-12 years. I now know that NGU plays a respectable schedule (although I am not familiar with the University of God's Chosen, who NGU beat 69-0 during the past 10-12 years). They have played at least one Division I school every year for at least the past 10-12 years, including PC, VMI, Western Carolina, Charleston Southern, Wofford, and Citadel. I think they have played Citadel twice and PC twice. They have beaten PC and VMI, maybe others that I did not notice. Apparently NGU is scheduled to play twice against the University of West Georgia this season, both of them in Tigerville. (Reminds me of the time in the late 1960's or early 1970's when Furman played non-Division I Wofford twice in the same regular season.)
We need to beat NGU. We all need to make sure that no one takes this game lightly.
I expect some Furman people will take issue with my amateur and unknowledgeable and perhaps unwelcome opinion; but I will express my opinion anyway, which is that Furman's chance of losing to NGU on 9/1/2022 is much higher than Furman's chance of ending up with even a respectable final score against Clemson 9 days later. (Clemson vs. Furman final score might be uglier than North Greenville University vs. University of God's Chosen final score. I hope not.)
 #55267  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:46 pm
affirm wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:32 am
the University of God's Chosen, who NGU beat 69-0
Apparently, God needs to fire his Recruiting Coordinator.
 #55268  by FU3
 Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:55 pm
Furman will beat North Greenville and after some first game jitters we will win handily. Clemson game will be tight for a half and then the volume of athletes they have will begin to take its toll.Dins will play hard all game and at a minimum keep it respectable.. we will then cash our check and get ready to win the Socon.
FUBeAR, gman84, fupaladin01 and 2 others liked this
 #55269  by apaladin
 Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:09 pm
FU3 wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:55 pm
Furman will beat North Greenville and after some first game jitters we will win handily. Clemson game will be tight for a half and then the volume of athletes they have will begin to take its toll.Dins will play hard all game and at a minimum keep it respectable.. we will then cash our check and get ready to win the Socon.
If FU is to keep the CU game respectable the effort we saw at NC St will have to improve by 1000 percent.
 #55270  by gman84
 Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:17 pm
NGU plays in the Gulf South conference of DII which is comparable to the MVC of FCS and the SEC of the power 5. They are familiar with the underdog role and will give Furman all they want and then some. I'm not worried about the outcome of this game. I also don't care what the final score is as long as it's a W. I'm not going to take anything from the Clemson game because it will not be a barometer for our season. September 17, 2022 will tell me all I need to know.
FUBeAR, Roundball liked this
 #55284  by Affirm
 Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:00 pm
... played at least one Division I school every year ... , including PC, VMI, Western Carolina, Charleston Southern, Wofford, and Citadel. ... played Citadel twice and PC twice. ... have beaten PC and VMI, maybe others that I did not notice.

One "recent" NGU vs. D-I score that I did notice but failed to include in my post introducing this topic was the 34-38 outcome when NGU played at Kennesaw State on September 30, 2017. Kennesaw State scored a touchdown with 16 seconds left in the 4th quarter, before which NGU was ahead 34-31. In the game, the lead changed sides 4 times, including twice in the final 5 minutes of the game.

In that 2017 season, Kennesaw State finished 12-2, including a 16-14 regular season win at Montana State. In the FCS playoffs, Kennesaw State beat Samford and then Jacksonville State before losing at Sam Houston State University* by 7. (*Sam Houston State University Bearkats, who won the FCS National Championship year before last).

I don't know, but I think we may need to look forward to seeing a close final score when we play NGU. Maybe we can be as fortunate as Kennesaw State was 5 years ago and see a 4 point win. Maybe we can then be fortunate the remainder of our season and end up 12-2 including 2 FCS playoff game wins.
 #55292  by apaladin
 Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:22 pm
affirm wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:00 pm
... played at least one Division I school every year ... , including PC, VMI, Western Carolina, Charleston Southern, Wofford, and Citadel. ... played Citadel twice and PC twice. ... have beaten PC and VMI, maybe others that I did not notice.

One "recent" NGU vs. D-I score that I did notice but failed to include in my post introducing this topic was the 34-38 outcome when NGU played at Kennesaw State on September 30, 2017. Kennesaw State scored a touchdown with 16 seconds left in the 4th quarter, before which NGU was ahead 34-31. In the game, the lead changed sides 4 times, including twice in the final 5 minutes of the game.

In that 2017 season, Kennesaw State finished 12-2, including a 16-14 regular season win at Montana State. In the FCS playoffs, Kennesaw State beat Samford and then Jacksonville State before losing at Sam Houston State University* by 7. (*Sam Houston State University Bearkats, who won the FCS National Championship year before last).

I don't know, but I think we may need to look forward to seeing a close final score when we play NGU. Maybe we can be as fortunate as Kennesaw State was 5 years ago and see a 4 point win. Maybe we can then be fortunate the remainder of our season and end up 12-2 including 2 FCS playoff game wins.
It might be better to look at most recent results rather than what happened 5 years ago. They lost to a 4-7 Citadel team 45-13 last year. Their only TD came very late in the 4th quarter.
 #55295  by mathprofhiker
 Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:41 pm
I've been to Tigerville to watch several NGU games over the past few years. They are a solid D2 football program. They play a spirited, gutty brand of football. They will play hard for 60 minutes, but our superior size, speed, and coaching should allow us to pull away at some point and win decisively.
gman84, Purple rain liked this