• Fan Fest

#55183  by apaladin
 Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:20 pm
I wasn’t able to make it so would appreciate a report. Prolly not a whole lot to report. How was attendance?
 #55184  by AstroDin
 Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:33 pm
I went… big crowd, IMO.
Lots of interesting things happened… I'll update this post as I gather my thoughts.

The 2022 team passes the eye test. We looked quick, and I thought we were noticeably bigger - a lot of height.
I'm sure some of you will take what I'm about to say - and look at it as a negative towards the defense.
It's been years since I've seen a Furman offense look ready, maybe even ahead of the defense.

I know nothing about Quarterback drills. I could be way off here… I always watched Samford Quarterbacks warm up before a game. I always felt that their drills were far more technical than ours. Does that make Samford's quarterback drills better or play a role in their development? The drills with the Quarterbacks and receivers I saw yesterday were impressive. I have to think this played a role in how crisp the 1-2-3 offenses looked.

You can tell this is a team that appears to be drilled and coached exceptionally well on offense. Please don't read anything on this comment about the defense. I just kept my eyes on the purple jerseys drilling. The offense was clicking. Very few, if any, busted plays.

Quarterbacks - Jace looked great, Tyler looked great, Carson looked poised and throws an excellent ball. I didn't see anything that made me think that we're going to suffer offensively from quarterbacks not knowing the system. That said, this is a different type of offense than what we've run before. The word that came to my mind was it's a mature offense. It's fast-paced and appears to have many wrinkles to it. I think we will see a lot of both Jace and Tyler this season. Carson, I hope can redshirt.

I didn't think I would be saying this, but our receiving corps could be our strength. I think Wayne Anderson is going to have a great year. That is saying something - our running backs seemed to be ready to rumble. Hicks, for a 220-pound running back, hits the edge fast, and Jayquan Smith is going to be something special. I also like how JR, it appears, will use KT. We have a lot of weapons. Bailor Hughes appears to have worked his way into major PT this season.

My last comment for now - Emmanuel Adebayo is a stud. Bandit appears to be in good hands with Clark, Maier, Adebayo, and McLaughlin.
apaladin, dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #55188  by The Jackal
 Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:37 am
I think our defense is going to be solid. They've been solid since Vaughn took over and have too much depth and experience this year to be anything other than solid.

I've thought for a few years now that we are a competent passing game away from being a really good football team. We've been able to run the ball under Hendrix, but we've struggled to pick up first downs and stay on the field through the air. Some of that is to be expected with a carousel of young QBs rotating through the program. Maybe this is the year that we're able to put it together in the passing game.
AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #55189  by AstroDin
 Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:45 am
The Jackal wrote:
I think our defense is going to be solid. They've been solid since Vaughn took over and have too much depth and experience this year to be anything other than solid.

I've thought for a few years now that we are a competent passing game away from being a really good football team. We've been able to run the ball under Hendrix, but we've struggled to pick up first downs and stay on the field through the air. Some of that is to be expected with a carousel of young QBs rotating through the program. Maybe this is the year that we're able to put it together in the passing game.
Something else that has been missing a bit last few years… higher level special teams play.

Spangler appears to be bringing a new emphasis to Furman's special teams. Furman conducted many drills with the punt team wearing yellow pullover jerseys. Was told by a player's parent that the guys really like Spangler.

Getting QB, WR, and TE transfers gets a lot of attention - the overlooked transfer is Ian Willaims from NCST. Williams booms the ball. Hendrix mentioned him kicking a 57-yarder in practice and yesterday during the field goal drills. He easily hit a 55-yarder that still sailed into the endzone hill.

Based on what I saw yesterday, I thought Ryan Leavy had our punting locked down, not so fast. Williams is also a punter; the ball just explodes off his foot. At 6-3 225, his punts remind me of Ingle Martins.
dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #55190  by The Jackal
 Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:55 am
AstroDin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Something else that has been missing a bit last few years… higher level special teams play.

Spangler appears to be bringing a new emphasis to Furman's special teams. Furman conducted many drills with the punt team wearing yellow pullover jerseys. Was told by a player's parent that the guys really like Spangler.

Getting QB, WR, and TE transfers gets a lot of attention - the overlooked transfer is Ian Willaims from NCST. Williams booms the ball. Hendrix mentioned him kicking a 57-yarder in practice and yesterday during the field goal drills. He easily hit a 55-yarder that still sailed into the endzone hill.

Based on what I saw yesterday, I thought Ryan Leavy had our punting locked down, not so fast. Williams is also a punter; the ball just explodes off his foot. At 6-3 225, his punts remind me of Ingle Martins.

It's been my opinion that we always are just one step away from really coming back on the scene nationally.

I think these areas of focus and the strategic use of the transfer portal are going to pay big dividends for us. Getting that one extra WR threat, a veteran QB, a TE to pair with Miller, more depth in the defensive front seven, a kicker, etc.

You add those strategic additions with the programs focus on recruiting and development and maybe it turns some of these close losses we've seen over the past few years to wins.
Sad Din liked this
 #55198  by Affirm
 Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:45 pm
The Jackal wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

It's been my opinion that we always are just one step away from really coming back on the scene nationally.

I think these areas of focus and the strategic use of the transfer portal are going to pay big dividends for us. Getting that one extra WR threat, a veteran QB, a TE to pair with Miller, more depth in the defensive front seven, a kicker, etc.

You add those strategic additions with the programs focus on recruiting and development and maybe it turns some of these close losses we've seen over the past few years to wins.
“… coming back on the scene nationally” (… one step away …”) appears to be so difficult for Furman to do.
But why is it?
Why is it for Furman?
To me, our being on the scene nationally would exist if only we would be in the top 25 of FCS like W&M, Mercer, Elon, Chattanooga, Holy Cross, ETSU, etc., currently are or recently have been.
THAT should not be impossible for Furman.
We do not have to be NDSU, SDSU, Montana, Montana State, Missouri State, Villanova, etc., even Kennesaw State, to be “on the scene nationally”. We do not have to be “the Georgia”or “the Clemson” of FCS . Could we at least be “the Wake Forest” of FCS?
Could we at least get back on the scene nationally by Furman’s 200th year of existence in 2025-2026?
It’s 3 more years until 2025-2026 (200th year” starts.
Could we get there (on the scene nationally)) and stay there, by then?
Go Furman.
 #55199  by apaladin
 Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:41 pm
Thanks for the report FSR. Sorry to hear what was supposed to be a strength has turned into a huge problem in a very key area. Had no idea the OL has been depleted with injuries and departures. Certainly not a good sign for an offense that struggles. Having to play people out of position and having to play peeps that would not be playing is not a good way to start the season!
 #55202  by The Jackal
 Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:35 am
apaladin wrote:
Thanks for the report FSR. Sorry to hear what was supposed to be a strength has turned into a huge problem in a very key area. Had no idea the OL has been depleted with injuries and departures. Certainly not a good sign for an offense that struggles. Having to play people out of position and having to play peeps that would not be playing is not a good way to start the season!

I still think the OL is a strength of the team. Hendrix et al have recruited that area hard.

From what I can see, most of last year's two deep is still intact. Some guys we hoped would contribute for us aren't going to be available, but the core of the group is still there.

It's never easy to deal with unexpected losses, especially during camp/preseason. Hopefully Hendrix will have the group ready to go.
 #55203  by AstroDin
 Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:51 am
apaladin wrote:
I'm not sure this is an issue of players playing out of position. Having an OL group that can play multiple positions appears to be Coach Cutch's plan. No doubt our overall depth got hit.

It appears the position up for grabs is center with Jumper moving to OT. Watching Ryan Lamb's HS film back when Furman was recruiting him, I thought Lamb would play center for Furman.

Depth has gotten tighter, and the o-line will have moving pieces this season.

Tackles
Starters; Tomlin, Toomey
Backups; Jumper, Brasher, Hundley, Greenway,
Injured; Petit

Guards
Starters; Johanning, Hughes
Backups; Wilson, Westerman

Center
Starters; Lamb-Hundley
Backup; Jumper
Injured; Vollmer
 #55204  by AllTimeFU
 Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:03 am
AstroDin wrote:
apaladin wrote:
I'm not sure this is an issue of players playing out of position. Having an OL group that can play multiple positions appears to be Coach Cutch's plan. No doubt our overall depth got hit.

It appears the position up for grabs is center with Jumper moving to OT. Watching Ryan Lamb's HS film back when Furman was recruiting him, I thought Lamb would play center for Furman.

Tackles
Starters; Tomlin, Toomey
Injured; Petit

Guards

Center
Starters; Lamb-Hundley
Backup; Jumper
Injured; Vollmer
It's definitely disappointing to lose 2 players that likely were in line to get quite a bit of playing time. I can't imagine how Vollmer feels as he's had an injury plagued career. Once correction above is probably Jumper at starting center and also a backup at tackle.
 #55206  by The Jackal
 Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:27 am
AstroDin wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Tackles
Starters; Tomlin, Toomey
Injured; Petit

Guards

Center
Starters; Lamb-Hundley
Backup; Jumper
Injured; Vollmer
Reading the preseason report and Keeler's post-scrimmage report, this is what I'm left with:

OT

Tomlin and Toomey are the two guys OTs.

Last season, Dylan Davis played a good bit of a reserve role at OT, but he has transferred out. That clears a need for a backup/swing tackle type player for this roster. The coaching staff may be eyeing Jumper for that role.

OG

Johanning seems like a lock at one guard spot.

Last season, Wilson, Hughes, and Lamb all were on the two deep at the interior offensive line. One of those seems like the likely guy at the spot opposite Johanning.

C

Jumper is still listed as a center. My guess is that Jumper might be best used as a do-everything type player and that we may not lose a ton with Lamb and Hundley at C. It sounds like we may not have a lot of great options at backup OT and feel more comfortable with our depth at Center that Jumper can become more useful at other spots.

I think going into the season, we had a luxury of depth - with 8 or 9 guys that would have factored into the rotation. With these injuries and departures, we still have a solid offensive line, but maybe have 6 or 7 guys to rotate in instead of 8 or 9. The two freshman departures won't likely be felt for a year or two, and hopefully we'll have enough time to cure that through recruiting.
AllTimeFU, FUBeAR, Furmanoid liked this
 #55207  by The Jackal
 Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:37 am
affirm wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:45 pm
The Jackal wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

“… coming back on the scene nationally” (… one step away …”) appears to be so difficult for Furman to do.
But why is it?
Why is it for Furman?
To me, our being on the scene nationally would exist if only we would be in the top 25 of FCS like W&M, Mercer, Elon, Chattanooga, Holy Cross, ETSU, etc., currently are or recently have been.
THAT should not be impossible for Furman.
We do not have to be NDSU, SDSU, Montana, Montana State, Missouri State, Villanova, etc., even Kennesaw State, to be “on the scene nationally”. We do not have to be “the Georgia”or “the Clemson” of FCS . Could we at least be “the Wake Forest” of FCS?
Could we at least get back on the scene nationally by Furman’s 200th year of existence in 2025-2026?
It’s 3 more years until 2025-2026 (200th year” starts.
Could we get there (on the scene nationally)) and stay there, by then?
Go Furman.

Based on observation and reflection, I think Furman was caught flat-footed in the changing college football landscape the last 20 years.

My impression is that Furman, for a long time under prior administration, was happy to just "do things the way we've always done them," which, to that point, had generated success.

We were, in my opinion, ill-prepared for the influx of teams into Division 1 football and the tightening recruiting map, the massive changes to the Southern Conference, and the need for investment in program facilities and coaching. Other schools got ahead of us on this and we are just now catching back up.

I think our current athletics administration is more forward-thinking and not content with status quo. Status quo worked for a long time, but it's not going to work anymore. We have to be thinking outside the box in a far more competitive environment.

Beyond that, I think the SoCon took a PR hit with the departures of App State and Georgia Southern. That power gap was filled by teams from the midwest. The SoCon is going to have to keep building itself back up and force it's way into the national conversations. The SoCon used to be the premier football conference at this level. A lot of the national attention usually focuses on the front runners. For instance, I think the CAA is going to take a hit with the departure of James Madison similar to the hit the SoCon took with the absence of App/GSU.
FUBeAR, AstroDin liked this
 #55221  by apaladin
 Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:19 pm
One huge difference in the CAA and SoCon. CAA has good leadership, the SoCon does not.
 #55228  by Affirm
 Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:17 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:19 pm
One huge difference in the CAA and SoCon. CAA has good leadership, the SoCon does not.
I appreciate apaladin's comment here, and I appreciate The Jackal's response to my previous post.

So it appears that these are being stated as reasons for Furman having been absent from the national scene for a while (15+ years?):
1. Furman administration being not attentive enough to changes going on in various important areas of concern and being not responsive enough to give needed support for Furman to stay competitive
2. Coaching hires and departures at Furman
3. Growth and/or addition of D-1 programs (at various levels) in our general geographic area, such as CCU, Wofford, Mercer, Charlotte, Georgia State, Kennesaw State, Old Dominion, South Alabama, Charleston Southern, Gardner-Webb, etc. (plus other nearby programs below D-1 level such as North Greenville University and Anderson University).
4. Teams leaving SoCon football, and in some cases returning to SoCon football, such as Elon, ETSU, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, VMI
5. Lack of excellence in the leadership and administration of the SoCon.

Which of the above, and/or perhaps other reasons, are continuing to hamper us, from being able to get back on the national scene?

(I do not know that costs at Furman are relatively higher compared to what they were 20 years ago when CPI or cost-of-living are taken into account and when the increasing costs at all other colleges are taken into account. I do not know that our alumni support and our community support are any less than 20 years ago - not sure. I do not know that our academics are any more demanding than 20 years ago. And the Greenville area has grown in population over the last 20 years, as have South Carolina, Georgia, North Carolina, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, etc.)