• 2022 Season Predictions

#55070  by fupaladin01
 Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:33 am
Football is less than 3 weeks away and I cannot wait. Time to go on record with your best guess (purple glasses or otherwise) on the upcoming season. I'm choosing unbridled optimism. 9-2

This is how it COULD happen...

NGU (W) - Paladins come out swinging with the new offense and never look back. Defense is rarely challenged and the Crusaders only cross midfield 3 times. CCH pulls his punches out of respect and Paladins win the battle between Christian Knights 38-0

Clemson (L) - Clemson, spoiling a beautiful purple uniform with splotches of orange, makes fewer mistakes than we need them to in order for the Purple and White to keep it really close, but a couple of sacks and a fumble keep FU in the game for a half. Offense rolls out a couple of cool plays for big yardage, but ultimately we can't go the distance. 34-12

ETSU (W) - Roper shows us what he's been holding back and a new QB has a breakout game, connecting with KD twice for TDs. Defense knows what to expect from Quarles and stuffs ETSU's run game and adds 2 interceptions. Roberto hits 100 yds and the Paladins vault into the top 25 after upsetting the top-10 Bucs. 27-20

CSU (W) - Offense struggles in the muggy Charleston air for a half, then finds a rhythm. Defense has its best showing of the season and shuts out the struggling CSU offense. 24-0

Samford (W) -Samford has an axe to grind against FU after years of losing close ones to the Dins. They come out slinging and catch the D napping a few too many times. FU mounts a comeback lead by a deceptive and powerful run game with some impressive pass plays. Ryan Miller again saves the day with 2 TDs and Furman escapes in another close one, 30-27

The Citadel (W) - The Bulldogs throw everything they've got at us, which keeps it close for a half. Defense struggles initially against the option attack but eventually locks down. The 2-headed monster of KD and R. Miller wears down their secondary and FU pulls away in the 2nd half. 27-13

Western Carolina (W) - Glad we have this one at home. WCU impresses with their offensive talents and exploits some weakness in our D with their balanced attack. FU Defense fares better than last season, and keeps the Catamounts under 40. A long, methodical, late drive provides the winning FG from Ryan Leavy and the Paladins win a close one. 41-38

VMI (W) - Still ranked closer to 20 than top-10, FU puts together its most complete game in Lexington. Defense gets 4 sacks and 3 interceptions, and Roberto runs for 150 yards and earns SoCon player of the week. We also get our first KO return for a TD in a long time. 33-10

Chattanooga (L) - Furman, ranked #15, is in the national FCS playoff conversation. Chattanooga rolls into Greenville loaded with FBS transfer talent and dissatisfied with their 5-2 record and waning playoff prospects. A defensive battle ensues, and for some reason our O has temporarily lost its mojo. The Mocs humble a huge homecoming crowd. 13-16

Mercer (W) - Scariest game on the schedule. Drew Cronic knew Quarles' playbook like the back of his hand and his defense has been studying Roper's moves closely. However, the Paladin O throws a few surprises at the Bears and the Furman D returns to form with 3 sacks and a key interception to swing the momentum. An unsung hero in the WR core has a breakout game and Roberto wreaks havoc behind an angry and determined OL and Furman wins a close one in Macon. 21-17

Wofford (W) - The Terriers have improved from last season, but that's not saying much. They attempt to play spoiler to our near-certain playoff hopes, but the Paladin Offense is humming and can smell a SoCon Championship. 45-24

Furman cracks the Top-10 in all polls.
FUBeAR, AstroDin, FurmAlum liked this
 #55072  by FUBeAR
 Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:32 am
fupaladin01 wrote:
Football is less than 3 weeks away and I cannot wait. Time to go on record with your best guess (purple glasses or otherwise) on the upcoming season. I'm choosing unbridled optimism. 9-2

NGU (W) - Paladins come out swinging with the new offense and never look back. Defense is rarely challenged and the Crusaders only cross midfield 3 times. CCH pulls his punches out of respect and Paladins win the battle between Christian Knights 38-0

Clemson (L) - Clemson, spoiling a beautiful purple uniform with splotches of orange, makes fewer mistakes than we need them to in order for the Purple and White to keep it really close, but a couple of sacks and a fumble keep FU in the game for a half. Offense rolls out a couple of cool plays for big yardage, but ultimately we can't go the distance. 34-12

ETSU (W) - Roper shows us what he's been holding back and a new QB has a breakout game, connecting with KD twice for TDs. Defense knows what to expect from Quarles and stuffs ETSU's run game and adds 2 interceptions. Roberto hits 100 yds and the Paladins vault into the top 25 after upsetting the top-10 Bucs. 27-20

CSU (W) - Offense struggles in the muggy Charleston air for a half, then finds a rhythm. Defense has its best showing of the season and shuts out the struggling CSU offense. 24-0

Samford (W) -Samford has an axe to grind against FU after years of losing close ones to the Dins. They come out slinging and catch the D napping a few too many times. FU mounts a comeback lead by a deceptive and powerful run game with some impressive pass plays. Ryan Miller again saves the day with 2 TDs and Furman escapes in another close one, 30-27

The Citadel (W) - The Bulldogs throw everything they've got at us, which keeps it close for a half. Defense struggles initially against the option attack but eventually locks down. The 2-headed monster of KD and R. Miller wears down their secondary and FU pulls away in the 2nd half. 27-13

Western Carolina (W) - Glad we have this one at home. WCU impresses with their offensive talents and exploits some weakness in our D with their balanced attack. FU Defense fares better than last season, and keeps the Catamounts under 40. A long, methodical, late drive provides the winning FG from Ryan Leavy and the Paladins win a close one. 41-38

VMI (W) - Still ranked closer to 20 than top-10, FU puts together its most complete game in Lexington. Defense gets 4 sacks and 3 interceptions, and Roberto runs for 150 yards and earns SoCon player of the week. We also get our first KO return for a TD in a long time. 33-10

Chattanooga (L) - Furman, ranked #15, is in the national FCS playoff conversation. Chattanooga rolls into Greenville loaded with FBS transfer talent and dissatisfied with their 5-2 record and waning playoff prospects. A defensive battle ensues, and for some reason our O has temporarily lost its mojo. The Mocs humble a huge homecoming crowd. 13-16

Mercer (W) - Scariest game on the schedule. Drew Cronic knew Quarles' playbook like the back of his hand and his defense has been studying Roper's moves closely. However, the Paladin O throws a few surprises at the Bears and the Furman D returns to form with 3 sacks and a key interception to swing the momentum. An unsung hero in the WR core has a breakout game and Roberto wreaks havoc behind an angry and determined OL and Furman wins a close one in Macon. 21-17

Wofford (W) - The Terriers have improved from last season, but that's not saying much. They attempt to play spoiler to our near-certain playoff hopes, but the Paladin Offense is humming and can smell a SoCon Championship. 45-24

This is GREAT! THANKS!!

FUBeAR was so rolling, but was so crushed when he got to that Chatt game result.

Tore FUBeAR’s heart out.

Can we get some of that sweet R-E-V-E-N-G in a 2nd round Playoff Matchup against the Mocks?

fupaladin01 liked this
 #55075  by Davemeister
 Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:22 am
Very good job, fupaladin01, but 9-2 is a best-case scenario and I am wary of those. I have to stick with the much more attainable 7-4, possibly 8-3 if I'm having a Good Day.
gofurman liked this
 #55076  by Thorny
 Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:45 am
I remember a time when anything short of making it to the quarterfinals was a disappointment.

/That's kind of where I am.
 #55082  by The Jackal
 Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:27 pm
Thorny wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:45 am
I remember a time when anything short of making it to the quarterfinals was a disappointment.

/That's kind of where I am.
In those days, there were 16 teams and making it to the quarters required a single win in the playoffs.

It's also a different world in terms of perception. In 2005 we were 5-2 in the SoCon and were the #3 team in the county. In 2019, we were 6-2 in the SoCon and squeaked into a 24 team playoff and had to play on the road in the first round. In 2018 we went 6-2 in conference play and didn't even make the playoffs.

In 2005, Georgia Southern was a top 10 team that finished 8-4 after a road loss in the first round of the playoffs. Can you imagine a SoCon team today being top 10 and finishing 8-3 in the regular season? Furman was 8-3 in 2019 and barely cracked the top 20.
 #55083  by FurmAlum
 Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:09 pm
That was great FU01!

9-2

I'm the eternal optimist and I also own a pair of purple glasses.
 #55084  by apaladin
 Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:46 pm
I would be happy with that Clempson score but if we go to CU the same way we did to NCS last year it will be much uglier. Think last year’s effort at NCS was one of the worst games/efforts against an FBS team since they started in the early 80’s.
 #55118  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:07 pm
Craig Haley’s Pre-Season SoCon Take … meh

https://theanalyst.com/na/2022/08/fcs-c ... onference/

FCS College Football Preview: Southern Conference

Southern Conference football was good last season.

Maybe too good for itself.

The teams beat up on each other in the conference schedule. Entering the final three-week stretch of November, Mercer sat atop the standings with a 5-1 conference record, and Chattanooga, ETSU and VMI were each 4-1, giving the conference the possibility of matching its high of four FCS playoff bids in 2016.

Only ETSU qualified for the playoffs.

“qualified”??? - BS.
 #55119  by gofurman
 Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:55 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:

First thought. I LOVE FURMAN. However, . Check me after the game.
Clemson will be a 45++ point favorite. Easy. We never hold up vs these athletes. This ain’t South Carolina. LOL. Cock shock. Yep. Tiger shock. Nope. I would KILl for it but it ain’t happening. If you truly believe we lose 34-12 to Tigers you (hypothetically) should put the mortgage on us bc we will get nearly 50 points. We have a good record of covering vs FBS - USC , Michigan state etc.

We are like 12-3(?) in a run of covering the spread vs FBS … but we still lose to clemson by 40 + most years. Meaning we generally get 50 points from Vegas. And typically lose by 40. I hate it. Just is what it is

Hope I am so wrong. Maybe the qb issue remains and they struggle to keep O on the field. That’s my big hope

Go Furman beat Clemson!!! I hope I am way off with my prediction but that game (least important game) I’ll say clemson wins 47 - 6. . Their D is really freakish and we have an offensive system we are just now learning
 #55120  by gofurman
 Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:18 pm
I’ll come back w more detail but odd how we admit we struggle much more in years without a junior or senior QB and then I see these 9–2 predictions with either JW as sophomore in a new system (!) or Huff as grad but in a brand new system. We always do better with elder QBs who have been in our system multiple years. Jackal has touted this as just about the number one correlation w success and we are a year short (JW?) this year. Just sayin

Just thoughts. Hope we win it all

I’ll go 7-4. Detail later
 #55125  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:05 pm
gofurman wrote:
I’ll come back w more detail but odd how we admit we struggle much more in years without a junior or senior QB and then I see these 9–2 predictions with either JW as sophomore in a new system (!) or Huff as grad but in a brand new system. We always do better with elder QBs who have been in our system multiple years. Jackal has touted this as just about the number one correlation w success and we are a year short (JW?) this year. Just sayin

I did what now?

The number one correlation to success is scoring more than the other team does. The more you do that, the better you'll be.

Having an experienced players helps. I don't think that's breaking any new ground.
 #55127  by gofurman
 Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:15 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:05 pm
gofurman wrote:

I did what now?

The number one correlation to success is scoring more than the other team does. The more you do that, the better you'll be.

Having an experienced players helps. I don't think that's breaking any new ground.
Jackal, no offense at all man. slow down...

I just meant You often comment (I paraphrase) on how there is a correlation between elder QBs (Jnr Snr) and success. ANd there is a distinct correlation. You are right. You did so recently when noting that the 2017 team that had more success running for 4th and one than we had last year.. you noted that we had a senior experienced QB that year. I am thus pointing out we don't have that this year. It's a point you make very often.

I hope we are great this year. Just noting if it's JW as a true Sophomore plus a new O system that is tough. But it's all about that the long term. If he is the man for the job and the new O system is better (which I suspect it is - last year was painful on O !! losing to Mercer scoring a mere 3 points ! EMbarrasing. ) then that is the right decision.
Last edited by gofurman on Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #55128  by gofurman
 Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:18 am
7-4 ?

Possible losses.
Clemson - Very probably
ETSU
Chatt
Western
Mercer
Sammy? remember last year - it took HEROICS to win this.

Often we say, a few plays here and there and we are 8-3 (ETSU comes to mind)... also, a few plays we don't execute (Samford) and we are 5-6.

I hope we get a few and make the playoffs. Obviously, ETSU Chatt and Mercer are opportunities. If we don't win there is no one to look at but ourselves. The opportunities are there for the taking. Well, I still don't like the D2 game but there is no changing that now. Though I know CH agrees as he was upset a few years back when we were denied playoffs for too few games.
 #55132  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:00 am
gofurman wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:18 am
7-4 ?

Possible losses.
Clemson - Very probably
ETSU
Chatt
Western
Mercer
Sammy? remember last year - it took HEROICS to win this.

Often we say, a few plays here and there and we are 8-3 (ETSU comes to mind)... also, a few plays we don't execute (Samford) and we are 5-6.

I hope we get a few and make the playoffs. Obviously, ETSU Chatt and Mercer are opportunities. If we don't win there is no one to look at but ourselves. The opportunities are there for the taking. Well, I still don't like the D2 game but there is no changing that now. Though I know CH agrees as he was upset a few years back when we were denied playoffs for too few games.
Not sure why VMI wouldn’t make your list of “Possible Losses.” Anyone making such a list should definitely include the Keydets.

They were SoCon Champs just 1.5 yrs ago. Last season, they beat Chatt, Mercer (STOMPED ‘em in maconga), and Samford in consecutive weeks, before losing a 1-score game to SoCon Champ, ETSU, the following week in Johnson City. Then, as we know, they were on FU’s 5 yard line late in the 4th quarter with a chance to tie/win the game in Paladin Stadium. Traveling to & playing in Lexington is always challenging.

Including Furman, there are 7 very good and very dangerous Football Teams in the SoCon.
All 7 should be ranked in the Top 25. They aren’t & won’t be.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.