• Clay Hendrix Speaking

#54322  by gopaladins
 Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:32 am
For those who might be interested, Coach Hendrix will be speaking to the Greenville Breakfast Rotary Club this Friday morning, July 8th, at 7:00 AM.
 #54363  by gopaladins
 Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:11 pm
He talked about the issue with the FBS schools forming these Mega-conferences and how that will impact us down the line but we have contracts with FBS schools through, I believe, 2026. He talked about how our players are there for the football but most importantly for education. We currently have 3 former players in Med School. He talked about how the Thursday night game with North Greenville was a great opportunity for our players and for the Greenville community. He said he told our players that the NG game for their players was the same as the Clemson game for ours. He hoped that the Thursday night game would draw our student body and that he expected a huge NG crowd in the visitor's stands. We had to have this additional game. He talked a great deal about his experiences at the Air Force Academy and how similar their players are to ours. He was very high on our transfer players, particularly the PC QB. He shared insights into his personal life. He praised his assistant coaches. There were a number of other topics covered but you should have been there!
tim, FUBeAR, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #54365  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:40 am
Interesting, could it be that the PC transfer QB will be our starting QB
 #54367  by Affirm
 Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:56 am
Roundball wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:12 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:09 pm
With all due respect NG will not bring a huge crowd to PS.
I bet they bring more fans than any other SoCon team coming to Paladin Stadium.
I bet they bring more fans than Furman brings on Thursday September1, 2022.
Yes, I agree and bet they will bring more fans than any other SoCon brings this year ~~~ unless it’s a SoCon team that has, by the time they play us, done something extraordinary in games already this season, like being undefeated and beating FBS teams (beating *Illinois*, *Georgia*, *Georgia Tech*,
*Virginia Tech*, i.e., the FBS teams our 4 SoCon guests go play before those 4 SoCon guests come to play us in Paladin Stadium this season).
I plan to be there for Furman on Thursday September1, 2022, regardless.
 #54369  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:17 am
NGU Avg Attendance in 2021, at Younts Stadium in Tigerville, 14 miles from no Paladin Stadium, was 2,976 / game.

Let’s use the ol’ 80/20 and hypothesize that 595 of those attendees for each game were fans of visiting teams.

Now, let’s apply the ol’ 80/20 again extrapolating that 1,905 fans of the Crusaders will make the 14 mile trip to Travelers Rest.

So, let’s see….

1,905 probably is more fans than any SoCon Team will bring to Paladin Stadium in 2022. The only exception could be if WCU comes in 6-0/3-0 with an FBS win over Georgia Tech and SoCon road wins over Samford & Mercer. FUBeAR could see the cantamounts bringing a host of hooligans to town looking for fresh ‘goalpost meat’ in that scenario. Even without the FBS win, they just might be able to motivate a large turnout if their fans think they are seriously in contention for their 1st-ever SoCon Football Championship in almost 50 years of futilely trying.

1,905 is NOT more fans than Furman will have in Paladin Stadium on that Thursday night. Attendance numbers for Mercer and Furman were not too dissimilar last season and Mercer had 8,727 for their Thursday night home opener versus a sub-D1 Team. The Team responsible for putting people into the stadium @ FU now-a-days will get it done - the crowd will be nice-sized and a great time will be had by all!
Last edited by FUBeAR on Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #54371  by apaladin
 Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:38 am
They brought like 19 to the basketball game last year. If they bring 500 I will be impressed.
 #54372  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:22 pm
apaladin wrote:
They brought like 19 to the basketball game last year. If they bring 500 I will be impressed.
Using the same formula projects that 151 fans of the Crusaders would have made their way to Timmons Arena last November. But…

1) It wasn’t a real game. It was an Exhibition Game. Attendance for Exhibition Games is almost always suppressed, particularly for the visiting Team.
2) apaladin is, subjectively, an unreliable reporter of attendance figures

So…let’s go back to the ol’ 80/20 vs. relying on apaladin’s unreliable reportage…and we would project the average visiting team would have brought 322 fans to that Hoops game….BUT….we already know NGU has lower than expected Home Attendance in hoops (due to the 151 ‘travelers’ projection, so, roughly 47% low) AND we know that 322 projection would be further suppressed because of the exhibition status of the game. So… stirring that all together, we would expect about 1/2 of the projected 151 to have shown in Timmons on 11/9/21. So…about 75. FUBeAR asserts that apaladin’s estimate of 19 was probably more like 75, so the Crusaders attended the Hoops game in exactly the numbers one would expect…so, we can conclude that they WILL bring 1,905 to the Football game this Fall.

It’s SCIENCE!
 #54373  by Jasper
 Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:38 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:22 pm
apaladin wrote:
Using the same formula projects that 151 fans of the Crusaders would have made their way to Timmons Arena last November. But…

1) It wasn’t a real game. It was an Exhibition Game. Attendance for Exhibition Games is almost always suppressed, particularly for the visiting Team.
2) apaladin is, subjectively, an unreliable reporter of attendance figures

So…let’s go back to the ol’ 80/20 vs. relying on apaladin’s unreliable reportage…and we would project the average visiting team would have brought 322 fans to that Hoops game….BUT….we already know NGU has lower than expected Home Attendance in hoops (due to the 151 ‘travelers’ projection, so, roughly 47% low) AND we know that 322 projection would be further suppressed because of the exhibition status of the game. So… stirring that all together, we would expect about 1/2 of the projected 151 to have shown in Timmons on 11/9/21. So…about 75. FUBeAR asserts that apaladin’s estimate of 19 was probably more like 75, so the Crusaders attended the Hoops game in exactly the numbers one would expect…so, we can conclude that they WILL bring 1,905 to the Football game this Fall.

It’s SCIENCE!
You have a headache now though, right? That was pretty fancy ciphering and configurin.
FUBeAR, apaladin liked this
 #54375  by apaladin
 Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:33 pm
FUBear- It was only an exhibition on the NGU schedule. It counted for FU. Be assured had if NG won it would have a major story not only in this area but far and wide. There would have been no mention of it being an exhibition. I would say very few were aware of the “exhibition” status at NG. Only way anyone would have known is to look at the NG schedule. So realistically you can’t use the “exhibition” as an excuse for the poor attendance. I stand by my observation of 19 and it may have been optimistic. I love your arithmetic!