#54006  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:13 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:57 pm
Since Furman has hosted a home playoff game

Last time was first round of 2005 playoffs

Since then Furman has played 8 playoff games, all on the road :(

Its been too long, time to turn the tide :!:
So…here’s a crazy FUBeAR crazy idea. WHY WAIT?

Let’s let the Athletic Department & the FU Finance Department KNOW that they can GO BIG with a 1st round Playoff Bid, just in case our Paladins don’t end up with a Top 8 seed…

Let’s start selling 1st Round Playoff Game Tickets RIGHT NOW and sellout Paladin Stadium for a 1st (or 2nd) round Playoff game before we see even a tinge of yellow, orange, or red in the tree leaves of Paris Mountain!

1) Season Ticket holders reserve their Playoff Tickets for ‘their’ seats by paying for their Playoff Game tickets now
2) Non-Season Ticket holders can get best available with opportunities to upgrade as Season Ticket Holders decline to purchase theirs now…with some ‘reasonable’ deadlines based on ticket location/giving level/history
3) Corporations can sign-on now to sponsor the game and get publicity as our Official Playoff Sponsor all season as the Paladins are making their run to play / host the game. If seed is earned, sponsorship carries over to the home game that comes with that. If no playoff game…they got their publicity…you pays your money, you takes your chances.

Potential Issues / Solutions
1) NCAA won’t allow it. / Who? NCAA doesn’t enforce rules anymore. FU to that ish!
2) What if Dins don’t make playoffs; don’t wanna hassles of refunds / Credit Amount paid to 2023 Season Tix or ‘whatever.’
3) NCAA regulates min/max amounts we can charge and they haven’t released that number / See #1. Take last year’s number and add 10% for inflation…oh, wait, better make that 40%. If over max, see #2. If below min, FU has good lawyer-types, language on purchase agreement should reflect the unusual possibility of needing to collect additional monies to complete purchase
4) It’ll ‘JINX’ us! / You are obviously a person who’s never held a Life Insurance policy, have you?
5) Other programs will make fun of our presumptuousness. Hint: other programs make fun of Furman all the time. Jealousy is a pervasive feeling.

All right DungeonRealm, you lit this candle…just go ahead and post your CC #, EXP Date, CVC Code, Billing Zip Code, and Name on Card (if not DungeonRealm), number of tickets requested, and you can be the 1st purchaser of a Furman Football Home Playoff Game Ticket in 17 years!!!

TURN THAT TIDE!!! GO!!!
fupaladin01 liked this
 #54009  by The Jackal
 Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:27 am
Nichols State?

If I recall even that year with an insanely good team we still traveled for the rest of the playoffs after the first round.
 #54014  by apaladin
 Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:42 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:27 am
Nichols State?

If I recall even that year with an insanely good team we still traveled for the rest of the playoffs after the first round.
Yes Nicholls St, then won at Richmond, then the infamous slip on the ice at App. St. that cost us another NC. Last time FU was a serious contender. Should have won back to back in ‘04 and ‘05. Been way too long.
 #54017  by MidlandsPaladin
 Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:22 am
FUBeAR wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

Let’s let the Athletic Department & the FU Finance Department KNOW that they can GO BIG with a 1st round Playoff Bid, just in case our Paladins don’t end up with a Top 8 seed…

Let’s start selling 1st Round Playoff Game Tickets RIGHT NOW and sellout Paladin Stadium for a 1st (or 2nd) round Playoff game before we see even a tinge of yellow, orange, or red in the tree leaves of Paris Mountain!

1) Season Ticket holders reserve their Playoff Tickets for ‘their’ seats by paying for their Playoff Game tickets now
2) Non-Season Ticket holders can get best available with opportunities to upgrade as Season Ticket Holders decline to purchase theirs now…with some ‘reasonable’ deadlines based on ticket location/giving level/history
3) Corporations can sign-on now to sponsor the game and get publicity as our Official Playoff Sponsor all season as the Paladins are making their run to play / host the game. If seed is earned, sponsorship carries over to the home game that comes with that. If no playoff game…they got their publicity…you pays your money, you takes your chances.

1) NCAA won’t allow it. / Who? NCAA doesn’t enforce rules anymore. FU to that ish!
2) What if Dins don’t make playoffs; don’t wanna hassles of refunds / Credit Amount paid to 2023 Season Tix or ‘whatever.’
3) NCAA regulates min/max amounts we can charge and they haven’t released that number / See #1. Take last year’s number and add 10% for inflation…oh, wait, better make that 40%. If over max, see #2. If below min, FU has good lawyer-types, language on purchase agreement should reflect the unusual possibility of needing to collect additional monies to complete purchase
4) It’ll ‘JINX’ us! / You are obviously a person who’s never held a Life Insurance policy, have you?
5) Other programs will make fun of our presumptuousness. Hint: other programs make fun of Furman all the time. Jealousy is a pervasive feeling.

All right DungeonRealm, you lit this candle…just go ahead and post your CC #, EXP Date, CVC Code, Billing Zip Code, and Name on Card (if not DungeonRealm), number of tickets requested, and you can be the 1st purchaser of a Furman Football Home Playoff Game Ticket in 17 years!!!

TURN THAT TIDE!!! GO!!!
As a season ticket holder, I would be all in on having a box on my season ticket application to tick off granting permission to charge my card on file for a home playoff game if one is granted. Would save our staff some leg-work later and would also give an indication of how many season ticket holders are willing to commit to purchase. Why wouldn't this be allowed?
 #54019  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:31 am
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:22 am
FUBeAR wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

TURN THAT TIDE!!! GO!!!
As a season ticket holder, I would be all in on having a box on my season ticket application to tick off granting permission to charge my card on file for a home playoff game if one is granted. Would save our staff some leg-work later and would also give an indication of how many season ticket holders are willing to commit to purchase. Why wouldn't this be allowed?
Dunno if it would/wouldn’t be allowed by NCAA…just tryin’ to cover bases.

You gave FUBeAR a furtherin’ idea though…

… In the future (as long as FCS Playoffs exist in a similar structure and Furman is an FCS member that intends to participate in the FCS Playoffs)… “Season Tickets” purchases should always include 1 Home Playoff game (rate and application if no game as previously stated). No “option” to accept or decline…just part of the package.
 #54030  by gofurman
 Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:54 pm
What do 'home playoff game' winning bids usually run? Seriously.

I know we tried hard recently - or that's what we were told .. . and yet we always end up at Austin Peay etc. Since damn 2005. If it's a 20K bid (maybe that is waaaay off)?? or so I would give - and I bet a lot of others would too - $200 or whatever - to increase our bid. If 100 people did that, that would add 20,000 to our initial school bid.

How much are the first round bids usually? Thanks for the information - I thought I recalled 20-30k but that may be way off !
 #54031  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:57 pm
gofurman wrote:

I know we tried hard recently - or that's what we were told .. . and yet we always end up at Austin Peay etc. Since damn 2005. If it's a 20K bid (maybe that is waaaay off)?? or so I would give - and I bet a lot of others would too - $200 or whatever - to increase our bid. If 100 people did that, that would add 20,000 to our initial school bid.

How much are the first round bids usually? Thanks for the information - I thought I recalled 20-30k but that may be way off !

I thought I recalled more in the 35-45k range, but I too may be way off in my thinking
 #54032  by gofurman
 Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:03 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:57 pm
gofurman wrote:

I thought I recalled more in the 35-45k range, but I too may be way off in my thinking
anybody else?

If it is 40K then my idea would work... bumping 40K to 60K! That's a huge difference and would probably put us at home for game 1... now we have to EARN the playoffs - " Playoffs?! Playoffs!? " Yeahh, I know. But if it occurred I don't see this as very hard. Or to have , say, 6 medium donors give 3/4 K? That would almost have to put us above the opponent?

Would the NCAA (who does nothing!!) allow private donations to a playoff bid ?
 #54033  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:08 am
Quick GIFYing yields this…from a 2018 article…feel free to uncover more recent/additional info by, y’know, GIFY(rself)

But Nicholls also submitted a more aggressive bid this year, increasing the NCAA’s guaranteed minimum payment from a little more than $50,000 in 2017 to close to $80,000 [in 2018] based on last year’s success and expected attendance. Nicholls also bid to host several rounds of the playoffs compared to its focus on only the first round last year.

The NCAA requires all schools to meet a guaranteed minimum payment to host playoff games, starting at $30,000 for the first round to $40,000 for the second round, $50,000 for the quarterfinals and $60,000 for the semifinals. Non-seeded schools may bid higher amounts to compete with other non-seeded schools. Match ups are decided on a regional basis and not announced beforehand. Bid packets were due last Monday.

While performance is a small factor between non-seeded teams, all seeded teams are guaranteed to host in all rounds if they meet the minimum requirements. Nicholls’ bids for the first and third rounds are higher due to this, Roan said, noting that if Nicholls is fortunate enough to earn a top 8 seeding or if the seeded team cannot host, the higher payment becomes unnecessary.

Roan said Nicholls outbid South Dakota by a mere $1,000 last year and that some schools with larger athletic budgets start their bidding north of $200,000.
 #54049  by apaladin
 Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:48 pm
I think Furman needs to get a top 8 seed to ever host another playoff game. As always I could be totally wrong.
 #54073  by AllTimeFU
 Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:07 am
I think it was said before...be respectable at Clemson. Hit ETSU early and then go from there. We need a great crowd at ETSU and really get behind these guys early. If we want to make a run at the playoffs, let's win the SOCON and it starts at ETSU. Gotta bring the noise. I think we have the pieces, but need confidence with a win week 3!
dornb liked this
 #54080  by FUBeAR
 Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:04 pm
Roundball wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:47 pm
For the beer drinkers out there.
This is really nice work by PaladinDaddy (Dwight still go by that?) and the FU Athletics Team!

24 (that’s a “case,” right?) of these cool beers (except for the swill inside of them, the bottles are WAY cool…and FUBeAR would not hesitate to drink and greatly enjoy that “swill” on a hot day!)…

…PLUS…

…2 rounds of golf on the FU Golf Course, which is a great track!!

…PLUS…

…a whole season of Paladin Football Saturday Extravaganzas (not to be confused with the (in)famous Alpha Nu Extravaganzas from days gone by)!!!

This would be an amazing value at twice the price of just 2 measly Benjamins…essentially, just a 1/2 tank of gas!!

If you don’t already have your season tickets…jump on this deal…NOW!!!
Last edited by FUBeAR on Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #54083  by apaladin
 Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:12 am
I already have my season tickets and I am not a beer drinker but would still like to have some of these. Are they or will they be available in stores?
MidlandsPaladin liked this