• Dumping yearly scholarship limits in football

#53393  by Affirm
 Thu May 05, 2022 9:31 am
Overall total scholarship cap will remain in place. Transfer situation has made the annual limit a problem. The change has not happened yet, but a knowledgeable and well-situated source believes the change could be in place by upcoming season.
What impact upon Furman and FCS will this have, good, bad, or neutral?
 #53398  by gofurman
 Thu May 05, 2022 11:32 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 7:48 pm
Seems like the limits are meaningless. If you just tell donors to go the fake NIL route instead of giving scholarships you can get all the guys you want.
Right. With NIL we may be back to days of unlimited funding for big boys like Bama?

With NIL can’t they have 100+ players instead of 85. Even if scholarships are set at 85 they can pay guys MORE than a scholarship (say 100k per year) to get 15 more or whatever. Only thing that would keep them from 200 players is guys want PT. but you offer some a free ride at Furman vs 100 k a year (30 k school and 70k profit PER YR)) so they make 280 k by graduation in profit…. They are going to Bama for the money. The biggest of P5 really could just break away. Tex AM etc. BIG MONEY. Also they will raid the FCS of Dakota Dozier as a junior (Kooper Kupp etc) - see the diamond in rough and swoop in to offer 200k for last year or two. Saw someone talking about Chattanooga round draft 1 OL and how that would become much less common w NIL

Sad. Big school “oh FCS properly developed and evaluated where we missed?” “Let’s just scoop him up now especially with no sitting out to transfer”. I wonder where this is going - could be bad. Fcs may lose a lot of quality
 #53399  by apaladin
 Fri May 06, 2022 12:29 am
GF- may be a little over-reaction. You can still only play 11 at a time, Why would a school or anyone else give a kid $100k a year that will never see the field. If you haven’t heard, there have been several reports that NCAA is going to start cracking down on boosters etc. Supposedly some guidelines will be released hext week. Even P5 AD’s realize what is going on. To quote one AD “it has to stop”. Hopefully the powers that be will come up with a plan before college sports are totally ruined. Here is a good a article from SI:
https://www.si.com/college/2022/05/06/n ... guidelines
 #53400  by Furmanoid
 Fri May 06, 2022 7:18 am
Interesting article except that it’s in SI which means it can’t be trusted at all. But the clarifications seem to mostly be aimed at stuff that’s already illegal. And I’ll be interested to see how they take the boosters out of NIL. How can you tell a kid it’s OK to make NIL money from businesses, but oh yeah, the business owners can’t talk to you? If NIL is a thing, then of course exploring NIL opportunities is going to be a big part of a kid’s decision-making. How is he going to do that exploring if businesses can’t talk to him?

I bet they just come up with a bunch more forms to fill out and audit.

As to why would anybody pay $100k for a benchwarmer, well that’s the underlying issue. The boosters are insane. None of this stuff makes sense. They don’t care that they are wrecking college sports even though they love college sports. Perhaps they THINK they love sports, but actually they just love wearing the colors, showing up, backslapping and being pointed out as that big time donor guy.

There are maybe 50 college athletes whose NIL’s are really worth any sort of big money. But the crazy boosters immediately jumped in with fake NIL contracts, and I don’t see how you prove they’re fake.
FUBeAR, fupaladin01, MNORM liked this
 #53402  by FUBeAR
 Fri May 06, 2022 7:41 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 7:18 am
Interesting article except that it’s in SI which means it can’t be trusted at all. But the clarifications seem to mostly be aimed at stuff that’s already illegal. And I’ll be interested to see how they take the boosters out of NIL. How can you tell a kid it’s OK to make NIL money from businesses, but oh yeah, the business owners can’t talk to you? If NIL is a thing, then of course exploring NIL opportunities is going to be a big part of a kid’s decision-making. How is he going to do that exploring if businesses can’t talk to him?

I bet they just come up with a bunch more forms to fill out and audit.

As to why would anybody pay $100k for a benchwarmer, well that’s the underlying issue. The boosters are insane. None of this stuff makes sense. They don’t care that they are wrecking college sports even though they love college sports. Perhaps they THINK they love sports, but actually they just love wearing the colors, showing up, backslapping and being pointed out as that big time donor guy.

There are maybe 50 college athletes whose NIL’s are really worth any sort of big money. But the crazy boosters immediately jumped in with fake NIL contracts, and I don’t see how you prove they’re fake.
Yep
 #53405  by cavedweller2
 Fri May 06, 2022 9:57 am
I heard Pete’s on Poinsett was offering our athletes a free milkshake every week during the school year.
fupaladin01, MNORM, FU69 liked this