• New OL Coach

#49195  by AstroDin
 Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:21 pm
I'm sure Jackal and FuBear have some thoughts on his line at ETSU.
 #49197  by Paul C
 Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:52 pm
So we basically swapped OL coaches w ETSU….
 #49198  by tim
 Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:57 pm
.....and Etsu got the OC that was at Slippery Rock when our new OC was there, before Holy Cross? I think I have that right?
 #49204  by The Jackal
 Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:33 am
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:21 pm
I'm sure Jackal and FuBear have some thoughts on his line at ETSU.

Honestly, I thought the OL was the strength of ETSU's team. The Bucs had a few highly decorated linemen and finished among the conference leaders in most offensive categories.

Especially positive was the run game. ETSU finished second in SoCon in rushing, only behind Citadel who rarely throws the ball. They produced two 1,000 yard rushers this year and you probably don't get there without some stout OL play.

One other positive note - most of ETSU's line is home grown. Even though the Bucs have a lot of transfers, they started two freshman and I think all but one of the starters was a high school recruit.
 #49209  by Afurmanfan
 Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:56 am
Nice article. Sounds like we have a coach that has the same kind of character as the rest of the staff that CCH has built. Pretty impressive track record our new OL coach brings to Furman.
 #49210  by The Jackal
 Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:24 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:56 am
Nice article. Sounds like we have a coach that has the same kind of character as the rest of the staff that CCH has built. Pretty impressive track record our new OL coach brings to Furman.
Reading his background, I get the impression that he knows what he's doing.

The quick change at OL coach is somewhat notable for Furman, which has had remarkable consistency at the position. McCutchan will be only the 6th OL coach since 1988 for Furman.

Looking back, I think McCutchan probably comes to Furman with more experience than any of our past few OL coaches. Duke had never coached OL before and was relatively new to coaching. I think we were Lusk's first coaching stop out of AFA prep academy. Smouse had, I think, three years at JSU after coming from the high school ranks.

It is a bit peculiar that Quarles retained almost all of ETSU's staff, but then essentially switched OL coaches with Furman. Maybe both guys were looking for a new opportunity.
MNORM liked this
 #49279  by DeepPurple
 Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:26 am
This guy is a proven winner and has much experience in coaching Offensive Line. OC/QB and OL coaches have been solid hires.
Sir William, dornb liked this
 #49285  by Sir William
 Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:29 am
DeepPurple wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:26 am
This guy is a proven winner and has much experience in coaching Offensive Line. OC/QB and OL coaches have been solid hires.
No doubt about it!